Help sizing a Motobecane Fantom PRO Ti 26er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Help sizing a Motobecane Fantom PRO Ti 26er

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I can ride an 18' Fantom PRO Ti. I was going to order a 16' but they sold out. I then looked at the 18' geometry and noticed I have clearance and am technically in the size range but I'm wary from never owning an 18' bike. My measurements put me right at the edge between the 16 and 18. I want the bike for light trail riding, urban riding, day trips on bad roads (I enjoy endurance rides) and just screwing around. I'd like it comfy and a little upright for when I don't feel like bending over my road bike.

I'm 5'8.8 in my mountain bike shoes(5'8.5 barefooted). My Inseam is 31.9 barefooted. (Are my legs a little long for my torso?) The geometry chart has the 18' having a 27.9 standover height but that's at the lowest point way back against the seat tube. I've never ridden an 18'. I had 2 16 inch hard-tails in the last couple of years. One felt aggressive and a little cramped and the other felt perfect...

With measurements right on the edge like that should I be able to pull off a 16 or 18 and just adjust to my liking? I just want to make sure I'm not ordering an 18' just b/c 16s aren't available but that other people my size are finding it a good fit as well.

Thanks in Advance,
    GZB

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i would get the 18 if i was you myself. in a 26er you are just shy of my height and i have about a 31 inseam and i would order the 18 for myself. im not sure how moto measure's their standover but most companies measure 8-10" from the center of the seat post from what my research has shown me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Have you considered a 29er?

mtbr member
    18". I'm on a 16" at 5'7" and sometimes wish for a 18".

S*it Happens!
    Your inseam is around the same as mine, However i'm 5' 10" So, It seams like you may have a shorter torso. I say if you go with a shorter stem you should be fine.

Move the seat forward. Maybe a riser handlebar instead of the flat bar that's stock...just rotate the handlebar slightly closer to you.

Just a Thought.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Yeah I considered a 29er but have only ridden one. The one I did ride felt awkward. I'm sure if I took time I could find one I liked but you can't ride BD bike's. Also the geometry is all different. I can't clear the stand over well on the 17.5' Ti 29er.

I just ordered an 18. I decided if it doesn't fit I'll send it back and get a different bike. But I don't think it will be a problem. Anyone know what stem size comes standard?

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by garethzbarker
    Anyone know what stem size comes standard?
    Congrats, I also don't think you will have a problem. As for the stem size...a lot of members on this forum have this bike and should be able to help you out with an answer.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0