Help from Fly 29 Titanium owners?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Help from Fly 29 Titanium owners?

The first run of Motobecane Fly 29 Titanium bikes have been out for several months now. Those of you who own this bike have had most of the summer to ride them and form some realistic opinions.

Are you experiencing any sustantial flex in the rear triangle? Any tire rub? What size tires can you actually run on this frame? In general, how is this bike performing for you?

I am 190 lbs and I don't want to deal with an over flexy rear triangle or tire rub. Can this frame handle a rider (with loaded hydration pack and gear) of 200 lbs? I had the nightmare of having to return a GT Zaskar Pro 9r this summer because it had waaaay too much flex and tire rub in the rear triangle. I do not want to go through that again.

Thanks!

Rollin 29s
    I'm interested in this too. I put a deposit down on a 2010 Fly Team Ti 29, due to ship mid November. Based on what I've read and talking to the Bikes Direct people I don't expect issues, but there's no substitute for real world owner impressions.

Jun 2009

My Tii 29er has been GREAT!

I received my 2009 Tii 29er on June 30, 2009. After immediately replacing the narrow aluminum handlebar with a carbon wider one, and replacing the 12-27 rear hub with a 12-34 hub more suited to Utah---It has been GREAT!

I rode it all summer and loved it. No issues. I really got used to the XTR setup--my 26" bikes are all XT. However, I could not get used to the hardtail on long rides. I purchased a Santa Cruz Tallboy Carbon 29er with XTR ($6,134--ouch!) which arrives in November (just in time to hang in my garage until after snow season).

The Motobecane Tii 29er was an amazing deal for $1999 and I only wish they made a FS 29er.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Received mine in July. At least a 100 rides. No issues. I replaced the handlebar, rear cassette and seat. No issues what-so-ever. Buy with confidence if you want a light, reliable 29er hardtail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I just got the 2010 fly team ti 29 frame and fork combo in the mail. It looks like the owner listened to some of the tire clearance complaints. I haven't installed anything, but it looks like my 2.3s will fit fine.

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by CatinTheHat3
    I just got the 2010 fly team ti 29 frame and fork combo in the mail. It looks like the owner listened to some of the tire clearance complaints. I haven't installed anything, but it looks like my 2.3s will fit fine.
    I think you are right. Someone mentioned on this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...99#post6333199

that the Bike Island site who sell these frames claim a 2.5 will fit. I put mine together this week and there is 1/2 inch clearance at the lower rear triangle around the 2.1 Kenda SB8s.

mtbr member
    Mine isn't completely together yet, but I have 2.35" Rampages sitting on Arch rims in the drop outs and there's lots of clearance in there. Shouldn't be an issue even in the giant mud pits outside of DC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006

Moto Ti 29er

I'm 6'3" 195lbs and have ridden mine all summer and I love the bike. Light and a great ride. I switched out the cassette, bars, grips, stem, seatpost and saddle and also bought a set of stan's wheels for races. I would buy another one in a heartbeat. I am now looking at getting the cx version.

Members who have read this thread: 0