Help with choosing which 29 fs to get.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Help with choosing which 29 fs to get.

I'm trying to decide between the 2 motobecane 29er fs bikes or a trek.

Option 1 is the $1999 model and run it stock. The 2k is actually above what I can really want to spend on a bike, but it is pretty loaded with components.
    -
    Option 2 is the $1399 model, but upgrading to some Stan's crest ZTR's(currently found on ebay for $400) bringing the total to 1799 plus the $60 or so dollars on the tubless kit.
    -
    The local trek dealer also has the 2010 gary fisher hifi 29er(bottom end model) on clearance for $1799, not as great of components, but clearly a name brand bike with it's so called "g2" technology
    -
    My goal is to race the bike, currently my cardio will hold me back more than the bike, but as I start to improve, I want to be able to have a semi-competetive bike.

BTW I'm 5'8 approx 145 lbs so pretty light.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Myself, I'm going to order the 2 x 10 xtr. Looks like the bike for me. I'm 5'7" 30 inch inseam so similar to your size and was wondering what frame size you decided on. I'm thinking small but want to get it right the first time.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    not sure yet, I was thinking medium based on what I've read online. Most people shorten the stem to make the medium a better fit. I might try to hit a cycle spektrum store this weekend and see what they offer. hopefully they will have some ht 29ers that I can try out for comparison.

mtbr member
    that 1399 model seems pretty sweet to me. you spend 1799 total after new rims right? ebay the old ones or just keep em as spares. if i had the money i would love to get that bike

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I Ordered the 29FS XTR30 and went thru the same ordeal. And rationalized it with the upgraded wheels, XTR group, and the kicker for me was the tapered tube on the Reba with the 20mm front axle.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ok, I went to the Motobecane retail store in Orlando. Apparently they had a FS29er last week, but only lasted a few days before it was sold. Anyhow, I tried out a 15" 29er and a 17" 29er HT and I like the 17 better. So I think I will order that one in the FS. Now to choose which one I want. I'm leaning towards the 2k one, the wife kinda gave me the ok to do it. Better take advantage of it!! Anyone have luck running the vueleta wheels tubeless?

Btw, The retail store was a disaster, they had bikes stacked all over the place and nearly on top of each other. But pretty cool to see all of the different models in person vs the bikes direct website.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

FS 29er frame size for 6'3" rider

Hello everyone,

I am also considering getting one of the new Moto 29er FS bikes, however, am also a little stuck on sizing. I currently have a Fantom 29 HT 19" which fits me great with a 100 mm stem. I am trying to decided between the 18" (med) or the 20" (lrg) FS sizes. I am 6'3" and have a 35" inseam (with my shoes on). According the the BD geometry chart I will only have about 1.5 inches of stand-over clearance with the large frame. However if I go smaller I think that I might be a little cramped. I was nervous a few years back when I bought my, what I considered to be "small", 19" 29er frame but it turned out to be the right call. Should I go even smaller for a FS 29er or a bit bigger with a shorter stem?

Thanks for any suggestions.

BTW: I usually favor larger frames; both my commuter and road bikes are 62cm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Ordered up a small 20 speed xtr. I saw a lot of people my size were ordering the medium in the 26er full suspension but after crunching the numbers most of the frame geometry runs smaller on the 26er vs the 29ers. I think the medium would have worked except for the stand over I really don't need to hurt the boys. And the 16.5 frame has 1 inch more top tube than my current 17 hardtail that I can't wait to retire. I suggest anyone looking at 29er sizes be careful comparing them to the 26 motobecane cause it made a difference for me.