hardtrail 26inches vs hardtrail 29inches- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

hardtrail 26inches vs hardtrail 29inches

which one is better

Noob
    Feb 2001
    I'm sure this has been covered over and over especially if do a google search on the topic or do a search here on MTBR.

Basically, each has its own features and benefit. You want to choose what may be right for your based on your research. Try both out at a local bike store.

26er - lightweight, in emergencies parts are available at most places including local retail stores like Walmart etc., if you have low rotational weight items like wheels, acceleration is fast esp. during climbs, standover height good for people with shorter inseams

29er or 9er - most notable feature is the ability to roll over most things due to "angle of attack", most people report it is more stable going downhill and you don't feel like you're going to fly over the bars, taller people like it although smaller frames are now available; however there is the issue about toe overlap.

26" Full Suspension - possibly the best of both. Don't rule it out although in general they are heavier than hard tails. Get a rear shock with lockout esp when climbing.

69er - hybrid. I don't think any manufacturers make this (Trek used to) but there are people who have succssfully converted their 26er to one. Basically a 26" frameset with a 29er fork and wheel. Benefit is the front tire is able to roll overalmost everything that a 29er does and the rear 26" wheel trails along. Only problem is you have to carry two different size tubes. There is a question of slack.

Can someone please elaborate on the term slack?

Anyway, I ended up going with a 26" because I couldn't pass up a deal on an XTR setup. It's light and climbs nicely.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjunkie
    Only problem is you have to carry two different size tubes. There is a question of slack.
    You can use a 26" tube in a 29" wheel. All you have to do is inflate the tube a little bit then install it. Before going tubeless I did it for months and it works well.

Noob
    Feb 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by Dictatorsaurus
    You can use a 26" tube in a 29" wheel. All you have to do is inflate the tube a little bit then install it. Before going tubeless I did it for months and it works well.
    Thanks for the tip, I did not know that. Good to know in an emergency. Maybe I could try a 69er for fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0