Is it Hard to assemble these bikes from bikesdirect?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Is it Hard to assemble these bikes from bikesdirect?

Ordered a fantom trail getting in in a couple days called some bikes shops and there all charging me $50. Im very new to the bike scene and never put one together. Though i can usually put stuff together as long as there are intructions on how to do it. Do you think i should spend the 50 or try to do it my self?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i have the same bike and it is pretty easy to do it is light installing
    you have to mount the disks to the rims put the handlebars on everything is already attached to them but i would say if you have worked on bikes at all before not to bad to do and not worth the 50 just to have them put it togeather

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yea, ordered the Trail myself. Can't wait to get her. -4 days & counting.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    how are the pedals that come with it? been hearing bad stuff about them. im juss looking for soem light weight platform pedals any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I enjoy the pedals that are on it clip one one side standard on the other
    i picked up a pair of specialized taho mtb shoes for about 70 and they are really nice enjoy using them

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Probably the only p. in the a. w/ the pedals (using clips) is where only 1 side being a standard/flat side pedal, the other the clip to secure the shoe into, having to fool around flipping the pedal round.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yea Boy. Got my DS yesterday in one piece, tho the rear wheel had punctured thru the box, all was OK. Assembly was as expected (same as what was received in the bike shop that I worked in the past), tho being a perfectionist, took more than the 20+min. stated in the instructions
    Very Happy with my purchase & can't wait to hit the trails w/ her.

May 2009
    I received my 700DS yesterday. The box and its contents in perfect condition. The assembly took me about an hour. Part of the problem was finding my Torx bit for the front rotor. The issue I have now is the brakes and derailleurs do not work! They are put together correctly but I think they need someone to set the tension properly. I cannot get either derailleur to work and the brakes are very mushy. I have tried to do it myself with no luck.

Members who have read this thread: 0