HAL29er - BOOST or no BOOST?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2020

HAL29er - BOOST or no BOOST?

Hi,

I kinda go over the buyer remorse stage right now - as i tried to rationalize the set of features i actually would like vs what i need at a minimum - plus looking at the availability of those bikes and prices - i decided to skip more expensive boost models and get an old 142mm hub based model with x1 12 spd eagle sx - with the plan just to swap for a GX derailleur alone later - a $125 additional expense. rest of the bike seemed ok.

Now, they also have a $2000 model, which is $500 more than the model i decided on - and it comes with a boost 148mm hub. Rest of options are also higher grade but for me it would be a point of a diminishing return - so, i mostly only think now about this hub size issue. is it something of more actual importance than i would think it was?

or is it some even not worth worrying about - to boost or not to boost - 148mm vs 142mm?
    are there any real life practical implications to this that would make life too problematic in the future - to live with a 142mm hub?

mtbr member
    I'm just gonna answer your last question. No.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Thx. It was too much of a bike for me anyway.

mtbr member
    The only issue would be wheel availability in the future as boost is the new standard and the old sizes are slowly phased out. For me, buying boost was an effort to have the flexibility in the future to swap my components to a new carbon frame which would be the current standard in all new frames.

It bears mentioning though, that the reason for boost (wider hubs) is to create a stiffer spoke angle that would be more in line with a 27.5 wheel. As you go up in rim diameter and the hub width stays the same; spoke angles get steeper.
    Strong, Light, Cheap; Pick Two.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quote Originally Posted by metalskool View Post
    The only issue would be wheel availability in the future as boost is the new standard and the old sizes are slowly phased out.
    well, i guess i will find out. it is exactly what i was thinking about, but, realistically, i will most likely buy a whole new bike in several years than just a set of extra wheels.
    buying a bike this summer is truly a PITA experience - all is sold out and what is available is priced to the roof. and i want it to be delivered while it is still warm outside.

only model with boost and features i want is this one and i think it is just too much money for that set of parts.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...tain-bikes.htm

well, i think i will be fine with the cheaper one. may be my rationale is wrong but i want specifically the HAL design - and what is available now for august delivery is either that one above or one below - so, it will do. neither one is perfect, but, heck with it.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntainbikes.htm

PS. and that $2k model is sold out now anyway, so it was pointless to even bother. plus i finally fixed up shifting my old 1992 stumpjumper - so, it is not longer a problem.
    Last edited by utkinpaul; 3 Days Ago at 10:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2020
    Quite an interesting response i got on that order of mine - i finally read the description and found a discrepancy in bike specs - they stated 142mm on the rear frame fork but 148mm on the r/hub itself. so, i asked and got such a response:

That bike has a boost fork and front hub(110mm spaced) and a non boost frame and rear hub(142mm spacing).
    Best regards,
    Larry @ Bikes Direct

Quite an interesting approach - a boost in front, and no boost in rear.
    Last edited by utkinpaul; 13 Hours Ago at 10:49 AM.