Hal 6 pro 1 X 10 conversion.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Hal 6 pro 1 X 10 conversion.

Hey guys, looking for some expert advice.

I just ordered a new Hal6 pro and am wanting to right away convert it to a 1 x 10. Ive seen the new praxis and sunrace 11-40T 10 speed casettes and was considering doing a 32t front with one of those. Ive always been a good climber (on a hardtail) and have always had 3by set ups. I mostly climb in the middle chain ring , but certainly HAVE had to go down to the small chainring for some steep climbs. I NEVER use the lowest 2 gears though. Does this set up sound like I will have a low enough gear to do the really steep climbs?

Also , Ive read that with the 11-40t rear casettes that you need a medium or long cage rear derailler and im not sure what this means and i'm also not sure what length cage the derailler is on the hal 6 pro. Its listed as

SHIMANO RD-M986, XTR SGS 10-SP TOP-NORMAL SHADOW PLUS DESIGN.

Any advice would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Cc in Hawaii View Post
    Hey guys, looking for some expert advice.

I just ordered a new Hal6 pro and am wanting to right away convert it to a 1 x 10. Ive seen the new praxis and sunrace 11-40T 10 speed casettes and was considering doing a 32t front with one of those. Ive always been a good climber (on a hardtail) and have always had 3by set ups. I mostly climb in the middle chain ring , but certainly HAVE had to go down to the small chainring for some steep climbs. I NEVER use the lowest 2 gears though. Does this set up sound like I will have a low enough gear to do the really steep climbs?

Also , Ive read that with the 11-40t rear casettes that you need a medium or long cage rear derailler and im not sure what this means and i'm also not sure what length cage the derailler is on the hal 6 pro. Its listed as

SHIMANO RD-M986, XTR SGS 10-SP TOP-NORMAL SHADOW PLUS DESIGN.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    I'm gonna be building my frame set with 1x11 using 11-42 tooth. 1x10 or 11 requires at least a medium cage setup. If that bike comes with a Shimano 10 speed cassette, it will already accept an 11 speed Shimano cassette. I went with XT M8000 all the way around. It's an excellent component group. I would consider 1x11 with your choice of 11-40 or 11-42 cassette. Then go with 34 tooth up front if you feel fully confident in your ability to climb strong. I went with 32 tooth for the just in case the going gets really tough situation. I'm a good climber too but I didn't want to ever feel that I didn't have enough gear to get the job done. If a 32 to 42 ratio doesn't get me up the climb then I need more fitness or it was just a really steep incline.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Robn30,

Im trying to avoid buying a new rear derailler and had read that to go to an 11 spd casette that I would have to do that. Is that correct? I was also only sticking to the 10 speed 40 instead of 10 speed 42 because of the same issue of wanting to stick with my same rear derailler... IS this truth or am I confused..

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Robn30,

Im trying to avoid buying a new rear derailler and had read that to go to an 11 spd casette that I would have to do that. Is that correct? I was also only sticking to the 10 speed 40 instead of 10 speed 42 because of the same issue of wanting to stick with my same rear derailler... IS this truth or am I confused..
    Heck, I just looked at the HAL 6 Pro setup and it's got a nice setup already. So are you doing it to save weight?

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    Heck, I just looked at the HAL 6 Pro setup and it's got a nice setup already. So are you doing it to save weight?

Save weight and make it more up to standards with the most modern design. Ive always thought it was goofy with all those overlapping gears

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Save weight and make it more up to standards with the most modern design. Ive always thought it was goofy with all those overlapping gears
    Yeah, it makes sense. I'm old school and when I went to my LBS a few months ago, they told me I was crazy for riding a 26'er, crazy for upgrading to a triple ring hollow tech, and crazy for still running a front derailleur. I think considering I like XC exclusively, the 1x11 for me makes sense. Plus with 11 gears out back the range is good. 32 to 11 ratio is plenty quick enough for me. Of course my 26'er with 42 to 11 ratio will be quicker in a sprint at top end, but XC doesn't really have sprints like that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    So am i to understand that you are saying if my bike comes stock with a 10 speed shimano rear casette that everything (including my rear derailler) will work with an 11 speed rear casette? That would mean all I have to do is buy a new 11 speed rear casette and new front chainring then be 1X11! I was only going for the 1X10 because I thought I would need a new rear derailler if I went 1X11. Please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by robn30 View Post
    I'm gonna be building my frame set with 1x11 using 11-42 tooth. 1x10 or 11 requires at least a medium cage setup. If that bike comes with a Shimano 10 speed cassette, it will already accept an 11 speed Shimano cassette. I went with XT M8000 all the way around. It's an excellent component group. I would consider 1x11 with your choice of 11-40 or 11-42 cassette. Then go with 34 tooth up front if you feel fully confident in your ability to climb strong. I went with 32 tooth for the just in case the going gets really tough situation. I'm a good climber too but I didn't want to ever feel that I didn't have enough gear to get the job done. If a 32 to 42 ratio doesn't get me up the climb then I need more fitness or it was just a really steep incline.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So am i to understand that you are saying if my bike comes stock with a 10 speed shimano rear casette that everything (including my rear derailler) will work with an 11 speed rear casette? That would mean all I have to do is buy a new 11 speed rear casette and new front chainring then be 1X11! I was only going for the 1X10 because I thought I would need a new rear derailler if I went 1X11. Please let me know.
    No, pretty sure you would need a new rear derailleur and shifter. The hub will accept an 11 speed cassette.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Still need some help! if I get a sunrace rear cassette that is 10 spd 11-42 will my original long cage xtr derailer (bike is originally 2x10) from my hal 6 pro be able to work with this setup? I can't see why not but just wondering because some of the replacement 10 spd cassettes are only 11-40 for some reason. Gonna change front chainring to 32t btw.

mtbr member
    dude why are you asking these questions in the motobecane forum ? you seem kind of impatient with the ! sign...

you should be asking these questions in the drivetrain forum

if your original bike is a 3x you likely have a long cage rear der. definitely not a short cage der.

I would try out the 11-40 and 32t ring on your original drivetrain... just make sure your 32t is a narrow wide chainring...

I have done 2 1x10 conversions with 100% success, but I kept the 11-36 cassestte and same rear der. all I did was remove the front der. and used a narrow wide ring...

I run 30T front 11-36 back, both have LONG cage rear der. (but medium would have been fine)

mtbr member
    I've run a 1x10 setup on my Fantom DS Team for the last 1.5 years. It is a 32T front and 11-36 rear but I am on a 26" wheel. I rarely drop down to 2nd or 1st and typically climb in 3rd or 4th. I would think you should have no problem on the 11-40 setup with a 27.5" wheel seeing as a 27.5 is a 6% increase in diameter and a 40 tooth is an 11% increase in gear.
    2015 Intense Carbine 29
    2013 Motobecane Fantom Team DS

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the replys, I've decided to just use what comes on the bike, the 2x10 setup. It's cheaper just to leave it and I know it will have all the gears I need. Once I get used to the bike and what ratios I'm using, then I may switch it up, but only to look cool.