Going Tubeless on a Fantom 29er Pro SL- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Going Tubeless on a Fantom 29er Pro SL

Anyone tried going tubeless with just the stock Laserdisc rims and Kenda Small block 8 tires?

I've read that the Laserdisc rims are great for tubeless conversions. I had to fix my first flat today and inspected the rims and they seem to have a very good hold on the tire bead, so I wouldn't be worried about if burping or coming off, especially if I keep pressures around 35 PSI or so. My biggest worry would be is if the tires are very prone to sidewall tears?

I'm planning on just doing the duct tape method (with Gorilla tape), probably with Stans tire sealant since that seems easiest for now.

Loser
    I just converted my wife's rear wheel to tubeless with the Small Block Eight after she had two flats in one ride. It was about as easy a conversion as I have done. The rims have a relatively wide shoulder for the bead to seat on. I used an air compressor, which makes it easier for sure.

We had already changed the front tire to a Nevegal a few weeks ago. It ended up that the original Small Block Eight that was on the rear had a sidewall tear and tread puncture, so I had to use the one we took off the front. Stan's usually can fill a tread puncture if its not too bad, but in my experience, it can't handle sidewall tears.

(oh and if it wasn't clear - I did a ghetto conversion with a split open 26" tube)

John

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the reply. I think I i'll try at least one tire as soon as I get some Stans. I will post at a later date with results!

mtbr member
    My rear SB8 is running tubeless. It took longer to seal than my front Panny Rampage...but it works OK. I'm not running the stock lasers though.

I really enjoy the lower pressures I run. The traction gain is very nice.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    My Rampages sealed up instantly.... I have no experience with the SB8's though.

WTB FX-28 rims with split tubes.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Got another pinch flat tonight. Due to my lack of 29er tubes lying around (rear tube now has a patched hole and two more holes that need to be patched before I can ride again so screw it lol), I may go out to LBS and see if they have some Stans and try a ghetto tubeless system when I purchase some 29er tubes.

Another thought-would there be any difference between a road bike 26" tube and a MTB 26" tube in terms of performance, weight, durability if I do a split open ghetto conversion?

I think i'm going to try just the back wheel for now to see how it works, since that's the one that seems to always get flats, and will benefit most from running low pressures...

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Get a MTB tube for splitting, and if you can find them, Continental tubes, (as well as some others I can't remember the name of), have removeable presta cores to make injecting Stans sealant easy.

You want the bigger tube so it leaves plenty of rubber hanging over the sides when you split it... makes things easier.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Thanks for the advice. That makes sense-I was thinking in terms of weight but i guess the excess gets cut off anyways, and 10g here or there won't matter much in the long run anyways. Hopefully i'll have time thurs to stop by a LBS.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Just did the conversion. Easy as cake. Tire inflated up without any stans at all, seemed to hold air just fine. I went ahead and deflated and then added stans. Letting it sit overnight to make sure no slow leaks then i'll take it out for a spin tomorrow night and see if I can notice any difference.

The laserdisc rim seems to hold the tire bead even tighter with the tube there so i'm not worried about burping at all. Little worried about a sidewall tear and potentially banging up my rim since i'll be running a slightly lower pressure...I guess i'll take it slow and see if I can notice any difference between tubeless and tubed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Tires are holding air fine now. Took it out for a quick run last night and a longer run today. Performance was fine. No flats or burping or anything. Kept the pressure around probably 35-40 PSI.

Didn't notice a big difference between tubes and tubeless, but i'll ride it till I get a flat and then probably switch back to see if I notice any difference...

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    You may wear out the tires before you get a flat!

I skidded in my dirt driveway, and forced a piece of glass right through a center knob on my rear rampage... All I heard was "PSSSSSSST" for less than a second. Stans / Slime mixture sealed up the 1/8" long cut only losing around 5 psi.

Members who have read this thread: 0