Getting a Moto 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Getting a Moto 29er

OK guys, got CEO approval for a new bike. I currently ride a FS 26er (Trek EX 5, which I'm very happpy with btw), but I wanted a 29er to round it out. Everyone around me tends to ride 29 on some of the faster trails. I'm settled on the 29pro, which seems like the best deal on the internet right now, especially if you luck out and pull elixirs.

I think the 17" is the right one for me but I wanted to run it by you guys first. I'm 6'0, 225 lb and wear 30" jeans. My trek is 18.5 (using their funky system, 17.5 actual 18.5 virtual). This sound about right?

S*it Happens!
    CEO = the wife. LOL!

That sounds about right. It seems like you have a long torso so, if you went one size larger you may not have the stand over height. If you go one size down you may not have the correct top tube length.

In all…it looks to be the 17" That seems like it would give you the best fit.

Congrats on your new moto.

P.S. What color are you going to get?
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 09-26-2010 at 07:59 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider

P.S. What color are you going to get?
    Hm, which color will show damage the least when driven by a total lunatic? (I'm thinking silver)

S*it Happens!
    Silver is cool and the paint does seem to hold up well. Here is a real life image to give you a better idea. Not a moto 29er but, the same color.

Again congrats.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I just ordered the moto 29pro myself, should arrive this week if not today. Probably would have went with the SL if it was not sold out, but I'm not hardcore enough to be able to tell the difference I'd bet. From what I read the Tora solair is pretty damn good, even compared to the reba that comes on the sl. May upgrade the wheelset later if I want to feel some significant difference. Everything else is good enough for me for the money.

I was trying to talk myself into spending $2.2k for the ti fly but decided to keep it more down to earth with $$. Especially since I just blew a huge wad on my CEO for her bday.

I also went with the 17", because of the top tube length. I'm 6'0 with a 33.5 inseam, so the standover will be more than enough, but I have more leg than torso so I looked at TT length.

S*it Happens!
    So, did you guys get your bikes and how did everything workout? I've owned the silver color before and it is nice but, from what I seem in photos of other bikes…I like the slate as well. Have you given any thought to that color?
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    So, did you guys get your bikes and how did everything workout? I've owned the silver color before and it is nice but, from what I seem in photos of other bikes…I like the slate as well. Have you given any thought to that color?
    Ordered the silver yesterday. Should be here on the 6th. Went with the 17" -- had to research if that was really the right choice. The moto 29er frame is a a little different geometry than most bikes, with higher standover and shorter ETT. I'll have to keep the seatpost fairly high and back (I'll get a longer stem if I have to).

My plan is to keep it basically stock except maybe swap in a thudbuster on the really bumpy trails (here in FL we have some incredibly rooty trails), and throw some clipless pedals on it. Maybe up the fork travel, will have to see how it works stock though. I have some crank bros on my FS that I'm not really happy with -- gonna get some shimano's and see how they work out.

My FS is great -- but it's in the shop still :-). It's a great bike, great buy, but I wanted a solid low maintenance bike is my primary rider for not too much $$$. Figured the moto was it. I'm a heavy guy and absolutely tear bikes up...need to master HT riding or i'll be buying a new bike every year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I got my fandom pro in, looks and feels great. My only complaint is the juicy three brakes. Will be ordering bb7's most likely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kboykin
    I got my fandom pro in, looks and feels great. My only complaint is the juicy three brakes. Will be ordering bb7's most likely.
    I have juicy 3's on my trek -- they stop me cold at any speed but get real noisy when heated up. The rear rotor has some warble -- not terrible though. I'm hoping for elixir's...

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Ok the juicy threes are better now after some use.
    I can see wanting more braking power on some of the more intense trails.

The 29er pro is fun and faster than I expected on a mixed trail. Being ht gave me some scary moments on fast loose gravel and medium rock downhills. Back end was very busy, with a few unexpected slides. But I also probably had too much pressure in the tire.

I did not feel the lack of acceleration or snappiness with the 29er probably because I went with a smaller frame.

The tora worked well though I need to add some pressure. The remote lockout is awesome.

Climbing was better than expected, I may replace the stem for a slightly better fit.

S*it Happens!
    Awesome guy's

Hey kboykin, did you also get the silver color?
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 10-04-2010 at 07:01 PM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

Short-Change-Hero
    I personally would have gone with the larger frame (6', 31" inseam, 190#) as I would rather compromise standover for the top-tube length. I am riding my brothers 18" Rocky and it feels a bit cramped to me, I cant imagine what a 17" would feel like.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I opted for the slate color. Kinda tired of silver. Several silver cars in my past and two currently!

mtbr member
    gregnash,

I am 6', 188 lbs and I have been riding the Fantom Pro 29SL in a size 17 for the last year. My inseam is 32". There is no way I could ride a large with out putting myself in harm's way.

My past 2 hardtails were 19" Stumjumpers. This Moto has the same length top tube, 23.6". I run a 100mm stem. Overall, the bike fits perfectly.

If I go with Fly Ti 29er, I don't know if would buy the med or the large.

H

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kboykin
    I opted for the slate color. Kinda tired of silver. Several silver cars in my past and two currently!

The slate color looks frikin awesome in person!

"Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by h2o-x
    gregnash,

I am 6', 188 lbs and I have been riding the Fantom Pro 29SL in a size 17 for the last year. My inseam is 32". There is no way I could ride a large with out putting myself in harm's way.

My past 2 hardtails were 19" Stumjumpers. This Moto has the same length top tube, 23.6". I run a 100mm stem. Overall, the bike fits perfectly.

If I go with Fly Ti 29er, I don't know if would buy the med or the large.

H
    Ya, the moto 29er geometry is just different. The rule of thumb is to go a size down -- I didn't believe it either until I compared against the 18.5 trek I have -- the ETT is just a hair shorter, but I plan on adding a thudbuster which should have a bit of setback so I figure it works out. Note this doesn't apply necessarily to the Ti frames which have a slightly different geo.

Your seatpost is going to be higher relative to the clamp than you are used to.

S*it Happens!
    Nice HanfisT, that slate color is awesome.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    The slate does look great.

Rode again today, pushed harder and on a more challenging trail. Sadly the fantom pro did not lend me magical riding abilities but it was good, and an interesting departure from fs riding. The trail was harder than usual du e to more grapefruit and larger rocks everywhere than there usually is. heavy rains last week took their toll.

I discovered today that I'm used to sitting and spinning through most everything. That's not gonna cut it obviously with this bike. Enjoyed the ride though, surprised at how much I missed that extra feedback and direct connection feeling.
    FWIW I found the 17 size perfect for me while in attack position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I ended up with a 17" fantom 29er. Thought I may have screwed up thinking I needed a 19". I am 5'10" 245 ( down from 311, en-route to 180) Ya I know gynormous. Anyway. 17" came in. fits like a glove. I really made the right choice. 19" would have been too big.

mtbr member
    retnav94:

I am happy to hear that you got the right bike.

Fantastic work on the fitness! Keep rolling, Brother!

-H

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    OK, I just assembled my 29er pro, I have a question about the front brake. It rubs and doesn't seem to have the stopping force it should have. It feels almost like there is construction paper between the pad and the rotor.

Just to make sure I did it right, the 185mm juice 3 adapater, it has an arrow that says '185 mm post', should that be pointing up or down? :-). Any tips? (haven't had time to ride the bike at all yet).

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by merlinm
    OK, I just assembled my 29er pro, I have a question about the front brake. It rubs and doesn't seem to have the stopping force it should have. It feels almost like there is construction paper between the pad and the rotor.

Just to make sure I did it right, the 185mm juice 3 adapater, it has an arrow that says '185 mm post', should that be pointing up or down? :-). Any tips? (haven't had time to ride the bike at all yet).
    The arrows are to follow the rotation of the wheel.

Centering your caliper & break-in

Loosen the caliper bolts so that the caliper move easily with your hand. Squeeze the brake lever and hold…at the same time retighten the caliper bolts and release the brake lever. The caliper should be centered within the rotor…as far as feel goes. That should come with break-in…that goes. Try putting some miles on the bike and at some point in your rides…try doing some hard braking. Repeat, repeat.

In time you will be set.

Good Luck
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

banned
    Sep 2010
    Make sure that you bed the brake pads in without overheating them or glazing them over .

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Good Luck
    Assuming you are going forwards, correct? (that is, down!). I think it was in fact backwards (figures) -- will double check tonight. I really wanted to get this done on my own -- had a couple learning experiences along the way. I may have to take it in to LBS for rim truing though.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Good Luck
    hm, in the brake time forum (i x-posted the question) a guy said the arrow should be pointing up -- just double checking?

AZ
    banned
    This pic shows the proper orientation of the adapter , I do not know about the arrow . Hope it helps .
    Attached Images Attached Images  

S*it Happens!
    Just adjust the calipers for now and ride the bike for a while. They are made to be broken in. Just like a auto when you do a brake job. The pads need to be seated and the groves need to match what’s on the rotors in order to obtained maximum stopping force. That comes in time.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    This pic shows the proper orientation of the adapter , I do not know about the arrow . Hope it helps .
    That helped -- the arrow points up. I think I got the brakes dialed in -- need to true the rims at the LBS before I take it on a serious ride. Also I think I'll up the travel to 100mm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hm, in the brake time forum (i x-posted the question) a guy said the arrow should be pointing up -- just double checking?
    btw, motorider was correct, when arrow points up this is *with* the tire direction -- brain fart on my part.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    hm, i'm getting some play in the headset, small grinding movement front to back (yes, i'm a total noob). I may have put it together improperly, anyone else know which model (it's the cane creek) it is? Also one of the bearings was missing a ball bearing, is that normal?

banned
    Sep 2010
    hm, i'm getting some play in the headset, small grinding movement front to back (yes, i'm a total noob). I may have put it together improperly, anyone else know which model (it's the cane creek) it is? Also one of the bearings was missing a ball bearing, is that normal?

It is not normal for there to be a missing bearing , if you contact B.D. I'm sure they will get a new one out to you . You are not the first person to have difficulties with the stock headset , upgrades are not uncommon . Good luck .

S*it Happens!
    I doubt you have a missing ball baring…try loosing the stem bolts and torque a bit more on the star nut…the center bolt the connects the fork to the frame. Then retighten the stem bolts.

I hope this helps.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I doubt you have a missing ball baring…try loosing the stem bolts and torque a bit more on the star nut…the center bolt the connects the fork to the frame. Then retighten the stem bolts.

I hope this helps.
    You're the man -- that nailed it!!

I think it's pretty much dialed in now except for truing the rims...

S*it Happens!
    You're the man -- that nailed it!!

I think it's pretty much dialed in now except for truing the rims...

I'm happy it all worked out.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Ok, here comes the ride report. After several days of short test rides around the 'hood' and some minor tweaking (brakes and shifting is still 90-95, not 100%) I felt comfortable enough to take the moto out. The trail of choice was fort pierce, FL. This is a great trail (though short at 3.5 mi) with tons of technical climbs, drops, jumps, crazy turns, etc. My moto 29er pro was completely stock with the fork left at 80mm. I'm not a high level rider, nor do I race -- just your typical weekend warrior trying to have fun while staying in shape.

I can say for sure, even though I didn't time it, and didn't clip in, I put in probably my best lap time over. Coming from a somewhat tankish, but comfortable trek ex 5 this thing is definitely a faster bike. That is to be expected: despite the bigger wheels this thing is a notch up (or even 2/3 notches) across the board on components. I haven't weighed it yet but it's under 30 lbs for sure (ex 5 comes in at 32.5). Here are the highlights:

*) I immediately fell in love with the wtb nano's. The improvement in both traction and speed (due to better tread/weight) was immediately apparent vs the bontrager xdx. I also think the better tires mitigated the 29er perceived disadvantages, acceleration. As a bonus, the tires ride decently on the road which is kind of a joke with the knobbys.

*) vs, the 26 FS, climbing was a wash, or maybe slightly better -- there are a couple of tricky technical climbs I frequently miss, and the 29er didn't magically roll up them. I wasn't clipped in though, and did as well as I usually do, so I figure it's at least no worse.

*) I'm not sure if it was better gear, tires, or what, but on steep descents I felt like I had rocket boosters on. On the first big one it actually freaked me out.

*) Surprisingly, at 30psi, I pretty much didn't miss the suspension -- at all. I was expecting a rough ride vs the FS, but a relatively soft saddle, big wheels, and lighter bike mitigated that significantly. I was planning on a LT thudbuster, but I'm starting to wonder if it's needed -- there is a much rootier local trail that will be the acid test for that though. There are a few logovers which is where I noticed it most.

*) This is a very flowy trail with few truly sharp turns. Noticed very little reduction in steering/handling vs the 26". Not the best trail to test that though, since most of the turns are banked.

*) The biggest relative downside was the drops (at least on first impression). It take a lot more effort to lift the front end, and the bike feels a little heavy in front. I really have to put a lot of English to keep from nose diving and going OTB on drops I clear easily on the 26. Also, I tended to ride them down vs catching air (this isn't necessarily bad, just different).

*) Higher riding position takes a little getting used to. I'm still tweaking the fit (17" I'm 6' w/30" inseam).

*) The front fork (Tora 318 air), while 80mm travel, was extremely responsive -- you almost forget it's there, and that's exactly what you want. I kept it just under the rec'd pressure at 200psi.

*) The juicy 3 brakes are just as whiny and groany as they are on the ex 5. I'm starting to wonder if the low end hydros are really a better deal than the top end mechanicals. They do stop you though which is what really matters.

Aside from the brakes above, the bike gets an A+. It was everything I expected, and more. Time will tell for sure, but I'm definitely on the 29er bandwagon, at least for hardtail (the FS 29ers are IMO overpriced at present).

AZ
    banned
    The brakes need to bedded and adjusted properly or they will squeal . Good report , enjoy .

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    The brakes need to bedded and adjusted properly or they will squeal . Good report , enjoy .
    Yeah, juicy 3's are notorious for difficult adjustment though. I haven't been able to completely eliminate rotor rub no matter what I do...I'm close though, and the early stopping power issues I was having are gone. I wanted to get a serious ride in and then have another crack at it. The tolerances on the pads are so thin that you have to be super careful while torquing the caliper bolts or it throws it back out of alignment. I will say that assembling my own bike has taught me a lot...the only thing I'm afraid to tackle at this point is shock disassembly.

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    You can use a couple .010 feeler guages, one on each side of the rotor, squeeze the lever, then tighten the CPS bolts a little at a time.

having a rotor that's as true as possible helps a lot with J3's
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

Members who have read this thread: 0