Gettin' an Outcast- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Gettin' an Outcast

Hi folks, first post here. I just ordered a frame from bikeisland, a 19 inch outcast in matte grey. I got this frame because it was so inexpensive, and the welds seemed decent. I am building it up with some decent componentry kindly donated by my pops, who is a long-time 29er singlespeeder. He gave me some Salsa delgado with wtb SS hub wheels, a surly karate monkey fork, as well as some other small bits(stem, cogs, etc.) I am hoping that it will build up as a durable rigid 29er singlespeed that won't be too terribly heavy. My plan is to use BB7 brakes, not sure about some of the other components. I will post some pics as I progress with the build. Anybody build up one of these frames before? Any advice is welcome. BTW I used to wrench for a couple years, so I have tools and plan on doing all my own work.
    Missing the Zunis...

DynoDon
    there are some build ups above in, post pic of your moto.. yours sounds like a good build, and the price is right with all the freebies you got, post pics for sure.. Happy Trails

mtbr member
    Got my headset today, The Pig, an FSA product. The bearings on the bottom are big- 1/4 " or so. I figured it would be good to go beefy on a fully rigid. Still need cranks, the ones I had won't work. Anybody know of a good deal on some?
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    So far I can't complain about mine. Still working out the geometry issues (swapping stems/bars...) but the frame is doing quite well. Honestly, it was a great buy! Here are a couple pics of mine. I just finished building it about 2 weeks ago or so. Gotta trim my brake lines but waiting for the cable end pieces to come in. Also have a different seat in the mail and when the weather breaks I will be rolling on different tires. Currently the bike is sitting at 21.87 lbs. Should be 20.?? once the tires/seat are swapped out and I go tubeless.

Just look around on ebay for cranks. You can't go wrong with an SLX, XT, or XTR. I am running a modified XTR M960 that has been modded/ceramic coated by Crazy8 (member on here). I picked up my XTR's initially for $120 so that means that an SLX or XT should go for less.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gettin' an Outcast-moto3.jpg  

Gettin' an Outcast-moto4.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, nice looking build, 1spd. Mine will be heavier than that, I'm sure. I ended up ordering a raceface singlespeed crank. I promise to post some pics soon! BTW, how well do those 2.4 tires clear the stays?
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    I have about 1/2" between tires/stays on the rear. Been riding in the mud alot lately and had no problems! The tires do seem to attact more sticks however as I am constantly having sticks flying up into my frame and what not. Just odd. I don't ever recall having this happen to me as much as it has since getting out on this build. Then again, there probably hasn't been that many sticks out on the trails as there has been lately due to all the big wind storms we have gotten lately.

mtbr member
    Hey 1spd, have you noticed some torsional flex on your front wheel when you apply the brakes? I have a 2010 Moto outcast 29 with the rock shok 3 fork...and I am getting some pretty good flex on hard braking......so hard, that my front wheel loosened up and it would rub on the fork under braking......i readjusted tension on the axle skewer and i still notice the flex under hard braking......is this normal for disc-equipped bikes, or do i have another problem? Thanks

Low Rep Count
    I will say that I notice it a little bit. I am on a rigid set up and I can see my fork moving forward and back ever so slightly under hard braking. I have not had my skewers come loose however (I would think that perhaps being rigid I might be more prone to that). I can say that having the brake mounted lower on the wheel (think of it as a lever in its truest sence) that it would generate more leverage further up the line as it is farther away from the frame than a set of rim brakes.

I would flip the frame over and double check the frame for any sort of cracks, check the headset to make sure it is properly tightened as well. Other than that, I don't really know. It is a fairly mass produced (somewhat cheap) frame. I can say that it is more stiff than my old Access 26" frame that I could throw the chain when on a hard climb while it was set up as an SS.

DynoDon
    Check your cone nuts are tight, you may want to get the Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike maintenance out.. good luck,,

mtbr member
    Well, I finished the build today. 24.6 lbs isn't too bad, especially since I am kind of a large rider(220). I sure like the way it looks, and I am taking it out on the trail tomorrow. http://forums.mtbr.com/attachment.ph...1&d=1300240584
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gettin' an Outcast-p3160007.jpg  

Gettin' an Outcast-p3160009.jpg  

Gettin' an Outcast-p3160010.jpg  

Gettin' an Outcast-p3160011.jpg  

Gettin' an Outcast-p3160012.jpg  

Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Looks good. Love the color! Now it's time to go play. Go get her dirty!

mtbr member
    Man what a blast to ride! The climbs are definitely a challenge. I converted the wheels to tubeless last night, using gorilla tape, some removable core tubeless valves, and wadester's secret sauce. Maxxis ignitors on salsa delgado disc 29er. Still holding air this morning, so I am pretty stoked. Also ordered some upgrades this week(already!?)- A ti rail saddle, a thomson post(I was stealing the post from my road bike), and some atac xs pedals.
    Missing the Zunis...

John has a long moustache
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenmike
    Man what a blast to ride! The climbs are definitely a challenge. I converted the wheels to tubeless last night, using gorilla tape, some removable core tubeless valves, and wadester's secret sauce. Maxxis ignitors on salsa delgado disc 29er. Still holding air this morning, so I am pretty stoked. Also ordered some upgrades this week(already!?)- A ti rail saddle, a thomson post(I was stealing the post from my road bike), and some atac xs pedals.
    Interesting. I would love to hear a report later to see if the conversion held. I would be interested in doing this on my upcoming commuter build.
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Here's my Outcast... pretty much stock. had it for 2 years now and it's been a fantastic ride.

the only changes are the tires - IRD Fire XC Pro in the rear and Panaracer Rampage in the front, and eggbeater pedals.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gettin' an Outcast-2011-04-02_11-15-07_948.jpg  

Low Rep Count
    I sorta wish my Outcast had track ends on it instead of the sliders. Mainly because there are no tensioners on the sliders. I'm not having a problem with the wheel slipping, but it is quite a pita to get the wheel straight in the frame when initially setting the chain tension. Either that or I am missing something.

My bike should finally be complete this evening. Well the new tire for the front is scheduled for delivery today and I will convert it to tubeless (Stans kit). But the weather may dictate when that actually happens.

I got a ride in yesterday with my wider bars (new Ritchey Super Logic w/ 20mm rise) and Cane Creek bar ends (had these for a while and stuck them back on). Climbing was much easier even with the new gearing set up (33:18 vs the older 32:18). I swapped the chainring to help take up some slack in the chain and be able to put the sliders in the middle of the drop out instead of almost to the rear. Yet the chain was too short if I pulled out a link. I did get a half link from a friend but I already had the chain ring and if anything it will make me stronger!

mtbr member
    The track ends are nice, but I've found using discs makes the sliders easier because the wheel can come out without having to adjust the caliper every time. My friend has a KM and can't even remove the wheel without loosening the disc caliper.
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    I hear you. My GT had the same issues. I really think that the Paragon sliders are the best design out there at the moment but that would drastically increase the cost of the Outcast if it came equiped with them. Then again, I would still be willing to pay another $200 for them. Hopefully my next bike will have them. That or I will end up with a Fly and run an ebb on it and just call it a day.

mtbr member
    EBB is a good theory, but I've yet to see a design that doesn't involve a huge heavy chunk of metal in the bottom bracket. Also, I've seen more than one stripped pinch bolt on EBB bikes in the shop, which makes me leery. My Outcast is losing some weight this week, BTW. Tubeless+carbon bars+ti rail saddle+deus crank swap-out with my stumpy should be about a pound, I figure. Cheers
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    I suspect you will get your pound. Dropping the tubes should net you close to a 1/2 pound based on most 29er tubes weighing in at right around 200 grams. I'm running 2 wraps of Stans yellow tape, the rubber rim strip/valve and 1.5 scoops of sealant on my wheels. Not sure what bars you have but I suspect that if you are going from alu to carbon you could be shaving around 50 grams and maybe 30-50 for the seat. Not sure about the crank swap so I have no clue. But I bet you get the pound you are looking for.

My tire showed up so hopefully, my daughter skips her club practice and goes with her mom to help out at the PTA meeting which will leave me at the house to play with it. I might actually see the 20 lbs mark. Then again, I swapped out my seat and have my Aliante on it right now and am waiting for a Flite Carbonio to arrive by the end of the week (traded with someone on the board here). We will see. I will post up a weight when done later this evening if I get it done. Actually the bike weighed 20.55 without my barends on it. So I stand the chance to see high 19's. After this, it is done though. No more gram chasing for me at this point. Just wanna ride.

mtbr member
    The new bar is a raceface next low rise carbon, replacing an easton ea70 monkeybar. My best calculations are: 160 grams saved going tubeless, 50-100 grams saved handlebars, 100 grams saved going from BB7s to juicy 7s, 50-100 grams crankset, 70 grams saddle, 20 grams grips(went from rubber to cork wrap). Grand total: 450-550grams saved! which is .99-1.21 lbs. I'll let you know how much it turns out to be. Still a little jealous of your build, though. Cheers
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    No need to be jealous. You have to start somewhere and the big thing is that you have a nice bike to get out there and ride. My set up is a culmination of several different builds over a few years. I could have made it lighter of course but starting with a built bike isn't the most cost effective way to do it. You end up spending too much money buying parts 2 and 3 times and it will simply suck you dry. Best way is to just build the thing from the get go with said light parts that way you only spend the money once.

In any case, I failed. I did not hit 19 lbs! I guess I got my numbers mixed up. I think I was sitting at 20.55 back when I had my Smud seat on it and no barends. I then slapped the heavy barends on (Cane Creek-most ergonomic barends out there) and I currently have the Aliante saddle back on (235g). I should have weighed the bike before I did the tire swap but thought I had my numbers straight. I was wrong. Right now the bike is sitting at 20.46. Sure I could drop the bar ends and trim my bars down (1.5cm off each end) and slap my old Merek carbon saddle back on (110g). But the reality is that would just be a trailer queen because I don't like the seat and I enjoy the barends.

The new seat (Flite Carbonio I traded the Smud for should be here tomorrow) and that will drop another 50g off the bike. I could go without the barends since the bars are wider but after my ride the other day, I realized how much I enjoy using them when climbing.

I will post up new pics of the bike once the seat is on it then I just plan to ride the hell out of it whenever I can. My advise is to be careful of the diet chase. It's quite expensive and addictive. If you like the way the bike rides, then just replace with nicer/lighter parts when they break.

mtbr member
    23.2 lbs with all the new stuff(1.4 lbs. lighter!). I'm happy. Cheers, looking forward to hear how yours ends up.
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    good weight reduction you got there!

No time for a pic right now but the seat arrived and I figured I will give no bar ends a shot with the wider bars for now. Completed wt = 20.26 lbs. Still a little disappointed but glad to be done for now. Wanna go for a ride but everything is tacky mud out there so that's not gonna happen.

John has a long moustache
    I weighed my 21" 1x9 Fantom 29er tonight and she managed a hefty 30lbs. scheeech
    I'm not name-calling. I'm just listing the facts. The fact is that you did NOT have 6in inserted----alexrex20

mtbr member
    Is that a stock build? BTW the tubeless conversion works wonderfully, and using WSS and gorilla tape means that I have 80oz. of sealant, at a total cost of 35.00. Should last me several seasons I figure. Non tubeless rims(the rims are even labeled "not for tubeless use"), non tubeless tires. Cheers
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Much cheaper than my Stans kit for sure!

mtbr member
    Also, in my area(NM), which is super dry, the stan's apparently goobers up into a rubber ball inside the tire(I actually saw this first hand when I wrenched for a couple years). The WSS doesn't do this as bad, it was formulated by a guy from NM.
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Here is a pic of the finished product. W/out Garmin, weight is 20.6 as pictured. It is pretty much done at this point and the only thing I have half way been thinking about is a new set of wheels but I know that is going to wait until at least fall. The water bottle cage will be on and off the bike depending on how far and where I plan to ride as I may use my Camelbak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gettin' an Outcast-moto11.jpg  

mtbr member
    Looks sweet. Tubeless, I assume? Velocity rims?
    Missing the Zunis...

Low Rep Count
    Yes, tubeless w/ Velocity VXC rims. Second set of these rims and I am still happy with them.

Members who have read this thread: 0