FYI - 29ers in stock tonight- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

FYI - 29ers in stock tonight

Hi all, new to the forum. I've been lurking for a while and shopping moto 29ers (and others).

Anyway, I just noticed on BDs Yahoo group that there are some new lower priced 29ers available.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...29_comp_xi.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...9_elite_xi.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Good find, I'm sure some buyers will be interested. I can't figure why they don't show up on the Bikes Direct 29er MTN bike line up.

mtbr member
    I'm guessing that those who are signed up with the user group get the link first - and exclusively for a while. I have been checking daily for news of the 29 pro SL.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Nice find.

I knew I should have waited. I ordered the $595.95 29er two weeks ago. Eh... I can't do anything at this point.

mtbr member
    I knew I should have waited. I ordered the $595.95 29er two weeks ago. Eh... I can't do anything at this point.
    \

Funny how that works, eh?

Myself - I actually bought an ebay bike today after waiting for a Pro 29 SL for a while.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    meh :-) how does the tora tk stack up vs 318 air?

S*it Happens!
    That's awesome...good find. That's a kick ass price on the elite.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    That Elite is a great deal, same price as my Cliff 29er Pro but with better crank, brakes, and rear derailer. The Tora Solo Air 318 is a better fork though. Anyone currently ride a Tora TK? Seems like the TK is like the old Tora 289 coil which didn't get great reviews. WTF is up with that stem though? If anything it seems like 29ers need a flat or negative stem, not a big riser stem.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Wow! I'm still waiting on a new Heckler...maybe this is 'just the ticket' for a second bike!
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...:thumbsup:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing
    WTF is up with that stem though? If anything it seems like 29ers need a flat or negative stem, not a big riser stem.
    +1
    Plus that stock stem weighed over a pound on my Fantom.

It's an anchor................

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge
    Wow! I'm still waiting on a new Heckler...maybe this is 'just the ticket' for a second bike!
    I had similar thoughts, I'm going mainly on my SS bike, this Elite looks like a great value occasional geared bike.

Does anybody know the weight of one of these new Fantom 29Elite bikes?

Thanks.
    ONE SHOX, ONE GEAR, LOTS of FUN! www.TrailFu.com My Rides

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I just ordered the 17" an shipping weight is 30lbs. Haven't gotten it in yet so not sure exactly.

mtbr member
    Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a 17" Fantom 29 Elite. Have really been holding out for a FS 29er, but figured for the price I'd try a 29er out before sinking money into a full suspension one.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Fantom Comp

I ordered it three days ago, thought it sounded like an amazing buy and I've been researching and looking for a long time. First bike, I'm going all in with a 29er, trusting I've made a good decision vs. the great deal right now on the 700HTS. That was the toss up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    In regards to the two bikes mentioned in the OP, can anyone tell the the main differences in these two bikes? I am not fully aware of all the different componets or quality. I am looking to purchase a Motobecane 29'er Comp or Elite. I am a beginner to trail ridding. These both are in my budget and after having just recently rode a 29'er, I am sold on the 29'er.

The Elite I assume is a better bike based on the higher price? But not sure which to pull the trigger on. I appericate and thanks for any input.

mtbr member
    Thanks to this thread, I just ordered a 17" Fantom 29 Elite. Have really been holding out for a FS 29er, but figured for the price I'd try a 29er out before sinking money into a full suspension one.
    Congrats!

I have been riding my 29er for a week now, and I am glad I made the decision. I ended up buying another brand used on ebay, but I was ready to jump on a 29 SL if they had been in stock.

The Elite looks to be equipped well and you should be very happy with your decision.

mtbr member
    First bike, I'm going all in with a 29er, trusting I've made a good decision vs. the great deal right now on the 700HTS. That was the toss up.
    You wont regret the decision. I just took my first trail ride today and I am sold on the benefits. It's hard for me to quantify, but if you ride a familiar route on the new bike you will like it. I haven't become a "26ers suck" guy - I just know that I will have to have one of each from now on. If I could only have one it would be the 29.

Got a suspension fork
    I see the FSA VDrive crankset has "M-10" chainrings which must be their 10 speed compatible chainrings. I can't find reference to them on FSA's website at all.

Does anybody know if there is a 28t chainring available? or if not maybe a 30t?

I am interested in running a 1x10 setup with preferably a 28t up front where the middle ring would go, if not possible hopefully a 30t in place of the middle.

Any info toward this end would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeNutsRobot
    I got my UPS tracking number today with a delivery date of Thursday the 21st. Hopefully I won't encounter any issues and will get a chance to ride it this weekend.
    The Good Times are Killing me

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Ordered an Elite yesterday. Can't wait. I'm pretty handy with tools and bikes, but I'm hoping I didn't get in over my head. I couldn't find a better bike for the price anywhere, and i went to many bike shops over the last few weeks.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonday
    Ordered an Elite yesterday. Can't wait. I'm pretty handy with tools and bikes, but I'm hoping I didn't get in over my head. I couldn't find a better bike for the price anywhere, and i went to many bike shops over the last few weeks.
    Be glad you ordered it yesterday, they increased the price today from $699.95 to $895.95.

Guess I can scratch it off my contender list now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow that's a crazy price hike, I wonder if they made a mistake, or if they sold too many and decided to milk it.

Got a suspension fork
    Quote Originally Posted by jorgemonday
    Wow that's a crazy price hike, I wonder if they made a mistake, or if they sold too many and decided to milk it.
    I think the latter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Well that's off my list now.

And to think I was dead set on the elite. Doesn't seem quite worth it anymore. I'm sure it's technically still worth the price, But for 900$, I'd rather get something else. For 900$ I at least expect name brand bars and stem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    those that just ordered how long did it take you to get you tracking numbers? So far I just got a PayPal receipt.

Members who have read this thread: 0