FYI: 2010 Outcast available at BD- Mtbr.com

Aug 2007

FYI: 2010 Outcast available at BD

Disc brakes, RS Dart 3 fork. Looks like an Fantom w/o multi gears.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...utcast29_x.htm

No-Brakes Cougar
    Freakin' sweet. It's BLACK! Looks like they're moving the Outcast away from being a commuter to being more of a true SS off-road rig. Gone is the rigid fork and flip-flop hub. No fair, my Fantom's fork has 80mm of travel! Wellgo platforms, too. Well worth the price hike. I'm almost beginning to feel like I was ripped off (J/K).
    R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio ~ July 10, 1942 May 16, 2010

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    dang.. i want this. they should take trades..

newble
    Jul 2009
    You can get just the frame too and build it up yourself :-) Frame was ~$158 bikeisland.com

It is a pretty sweet frame, construction looks solid. I'm not horribly keen on the sliders, but we'll see. People have said they work fine. I'm thinking a 2 bolt slider could be used if you really wanted, but it would require some frame modification.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It looks pretty neat, but 2223 grams (4.9 lbs) according to the Bike Island site seems awfully heavy for an aluminum frame - that's more than the unbranded 4130 frame that BI also have available (2100 grams / 4.6 lbs). Is that the accurate weight?

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004

Outcast 29er Frame Weight

Quote Originally Posted by andylaub
    It looks pretty neat, but 2223 grams (4.9 lbs) according to the Bike Island site seems awfully heavy for an aluminum frame - that's more than the unbranded 4130 frame that BI also have available (2100 grams / 4.6 lbs). Is that the accurate weight?
    I just got a 17" 2009 (Well, it is the gray color, I think that means 2009) Outcast 29er frame from BikeIsland and it weighs 2165 grams (4.77 lbs) on my kitchen scale with the seatpost collar installed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony
    I just got a 17" 2009 (Well, it is the gray color, I think that means 2009) Outcast 29er frame from BikeIsland and it weighs 2165 grams (4.77 lbs) on my kitchen scale with the seatpost collar installed.
    Does it have the adjustable drop outs/disc tabs (2010), or the old horizontal drops (2009)?

Slow and steady
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by andylaub
    Does it have the adjustable drop outs/disc tabs (2010), or the old horizontal drops (2009)?
    It has the adjustable sliders, 3 bolts on each side. So I guess that makes it a 2010. The sliders are decent. The only trouble I have with them is that when slid all the way forward, my fun-bolt equipped King hub won't fit through the small gap, so I have to take the fun-bolt on the drive side out to install/remove the rear tire. A small annoyance.

-Tony

Members who have read this thread: 0