full suspension vs hardtrail 29inches- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

full suspension vs hardtrail 29inches

I would like to buy a mtb but i am not sure witch one is better. I live in south florida and I am new to mountain bikes

mtbr member
    How many mountains are in South Florida?

Unless you plan to pack your bike for all mountain riding...or ride over potholes and rocks with regularity...I don't see the appeal of a FS bike for your needs.

Save some cash by getting a HT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

hardtrail 26inches or hardtrail 29 inches

good question ... there are not mountains in south florida... ok now another question... hardtrail 26inches or hardtrail 29 inches

mtbr member
    It's hardTAIL...referring to a rigid rear.

Wheelsize is personal preference. Do a search for the pluses and minuses. I ride a 29er, but don't want to bias you one way or another.

29ers tend to cost a little more compared to similar spec'd 26" ones. They also are a bit heavier and roll up a little slower. Some say, bigger wheels can be also a touch more challenging to negotiate tight turns. Most of this will likely be inconsequential in 99% of the riding you will likely do.

The biggest advantage to a 29er is attack angle on the front tire. You can (generally) roll over larger obstacles easier (smoother) with a bigger wheel. You can also tend to run a lower pressure on a 29er tire due to the higher air volume it has. This can allow for better grip on many surfaces.

If you are a shorter than average person, a 29er geometry can create challenges. If you are taller than average, my feeling is that a 29er can offer a better overall experience.

In the end, remember that bike FIT is the most important thing in giving you the most enjoyable ride.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I say just get a hardtail. Unless you are going to travel north to mountains for some good downhill riding than just get a quality spec'd hardtail. North Carolina/North GA will be about the closest spots for you to travel to.

Noob
    Feb 2001
    +1 on the hardtail. BTW, I responded to you other thread regarding the 26er vs the 29er. It's not much info but hope it helps.

Members who have read this thread: 0