frame breakage- Mtbr.com

Thread: frame breakage

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

frame breakage

has anybody heard of or experienced any frame breakage or cracks pertaining to the Titanium frames.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Mine has lasted this summer, I know thats not very long. I am 6'2" and weight 230lbs.

Rollin 29s
    I'm putting mine to the ultimate test where I ride in rock infested Northern California (Annadel State Park). My Aluminum GT LTS lasted about 3 seasons before the frame fatigue cracks started appearing. I have high hopes that the Ti will last indefinitely, and so far everything looks fine. It's been less than 1 year here though.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Have not heard about it here or elsewhere.

Mine is going strong for the second year - and that included some spirited races. I am around 195lb, so not a bantamweight.

Lightweight aluminum frames eventually blow up. That's why I do not ride'em.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I keep a couple of things around to remind me of past decisions I have made….. One is a bio pace chain ring (gotta love that one) and my original Yeti ARC frame with a crack in the head tube after one season.
    After that HT experience I purchased a XLM Merlin in 2001. It was a couple of days after 9-11 and I remember the being told that I was the only caller they had since 9-11, but I digress. The good folks at Merlin gave me a screaming deal on the bike and I have been riding it ever since here in the rough rocks of the foothills and the Sierra mountains here in N. Ca. The bike was/is the best value ever with no problems to date and it looks as fresh as the day I built-- it albeit does have a 2010 Fox fit, new wheels and Hope brakes.
    The other day, I rode a 29er. Merlin is out of business now  so I am looking to get a new Moto from BD soon as they get some stock.
    Bottom line, In 2001 my friends gave me such a hard time for spending so much on a frame, over the years I have watched my friends go through dozens of bike and the Merlin is still doing its thing, i.e. providing bullet proof performance and exceptional value with ear to ear grins.
    Nothing like passing a downhiller on my little pinner XLM.
    +1 for Ti
    cheers

Members who have read this thread: 0