Which frame is better, Fantom 29 or Cliff 29?- Mtbr.com

Apr 2009

Which frame is better, Fantom 29 or Cliff 29?

Is there an obvious better frame between the Motobecane Fantom PRO 29er and the Windsor Cliff PRO 29er?

Fantom:
    MOTO29X Aluminum with TrailTuned PowerStay Design, DualProfile Downtube with reinforced Gusset, replaceable rear derailleur hanger, 2x H2O bosses

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...om29pro_08.htm

Cliff:
    Altair 2 custom butted aluminum with PowerSection down tube, top tube/seat tube gusset, Hydro-formed top and down tube, Integrated head tube, double water bottle mounts. Rear triangle is Altair 2, custom tapered 7005 aluminum with Edge S-bend MonoStay, Cold forged dropout with CNC'D disc mount and replaceable hanger

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...cliff29pro.htm

Nov 2008
    You probably know, but Cycle Spectrum in Houston (there are four stores) generally stocks some of the Fantom29ers. If you wait a couple of weeks, I should have a Windsor 29 Team Size Large to check out as well.

I've heard pretty good comments about the Fuji-based Windsor frame. The Fuji is pretty well reviewed. The Windsor is reportedly identical except for the non-hydroformed downtube.

With regard to the Fuji Tahoe 29 Pro, which I rode at Performance Bikes in size Medium (they had a really great price, but I thought it was too small, and I wanted the Team/SL), it is supposedly a fairly compliant frame as far as aluminum frames go. I saw it described as less harsh that the steel GT Peace 9r Multi, which really liked and almost bought.

Bob

Members who have read this thread: 0