Fork Travel and Moto Frame Question- Mtbr.com
    Old & Slow

Fork Travel and Moto Frame Question

I know there's a fork and suspension forum, but since this question is specific to a Moto frame I thought I'd ask it here.

Anyway, I need to replace the Dart 2 (spring worn out) that came on my 700 HT. I have a 17" frame and have seen some good deals on Recons, and Toras. Has anyone with this frame type/size upgraded to either of these forks. I e-mailed the guys at bikesdirect and they told me to keep the travel at 100mm or else if I damage the frame I void the warranty. Interestingly enough they had no problem telling me it was okay to change the travel on the Dart to 120mm when I first bought the bike. Any help would be appreciate.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I've got the Fantom trail hardtail that came with a 120mm Dart 3. I replaced it with a Fox F100. Originally I was going to put a Vanilla (140mm) on there, but they responded with the same thing about it being too large, and it would have seriously messed up the steering. I've been really happy so far with the 100mm fork and it feels like a whole new bike. I have the large frame, but I think with the smaller frame, anything too large will make it ride like a chopper.

Old & Slow
    Thanks - I found a good deal on a Tora Solo Air, 100mm. I'll stick to their advice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Awesome. Enjoy the new fork!

Members who have read this thread: 0