Fly Titanium 29er came today!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Fly Titanium 29er came today!!

Showed up about an hour ago.
    Assembly took about 45 minutes.
    Gorgeous looking bike.
    I hung it from a Pelouze vertical hanging scale I have here at work (by no means calibrated) and it was a hair UNDER 23 lbs. without pedals!
    Very impressed so far.

Won't be able to ride it until after work and after I can figure out how to get air into these tires! (The valve stems look pretty different than on my old Raleigh).

More to come...
    Last edited by AltRox; 06-12-2009 at 10:27 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Pics to follow.
    Last edited by AltRox; 06-12-2009 at 12:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    DUDE! When did you get the email to pay for it? I am totally Jonesing for mine to get here, but no email yet... Huge congratulations! Please share how that first ride is!

mtbr member

Congrats

You gotta post pics Im dying to know if the color scheme is the same as on the site. I have yet to get my email either for payment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    bd sent me one of the bikes they had flown over prior to the batch that is being sent by ship. you can read the whole story in my other thread 'no bikes at bd'

this is my 1st real mtb so i don't have a ton to compare to, only what i rod at lbs's the last month or so.

I rode around the 'hood' last night. feels amazing. better than any of the bikes I tested. great geometry. no issues with the front tire touching my feet when turning. super light. easy to 'bunny hop' and do wheelies. xtr feels very solid. i need to learn how to adjust the brakes as there is a bit too much 'dead zone' for my liking. bars feel a tiny bit narrow (I really like the wider bars on the GF superfly I rode) and the grips are very hard for foam.

overall this bike feels every bit as light and responsive as the superfly so far.

i'm looking forwad to getting it dirty this weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode quite a bit today and I am totally impressed with the bike. It's a very interesting ride. The Ti frame is so light and the tubing is so incredibly thin. If you tap it, it feels like you could almost crush like a soda can. I guess that's what makes Ti so unique. It seems like it's so delicate, but apparently it's rather strong.

This is my first 29er and the wheels are monsterous compared with 26". You see the roots and rock gardens, but barely feel them. You have to remind yourself that you'd be getting pounded on some other bikes. It's very well balanced and it almost feels like you're just riding two big wheels. The frame just sort of disappears from your awareness. A bit strange at first even.

BTW, the bike is fast. I ride quite a bit on the street and this thing does a decent impression of a road bike.

The brakes are sick. First bike I've owned with hydraulics. On my old bike I had to squeeze further AND harder to make it stop from a high speed. The Moto's brakes are so linear. You just squeeze more, but don't have to squeeze any harder. So easy to modulate and very gentle on your hand muscles too. It's like driving a car with power brakes vs. a car without them.

I'm getting used to the bars, but still wouldn't mind a tad more width. It's almost like they are a bit narrow for such a large bike. I guess I'll appreciate the narrowness more when riding tight trails maybe.

BTW, the bike looks EXACTLY like the one on their website. I tried to post pics yesterday, but the files were too large. I'll try again Sunday or Monday.

The bikes I test rode before buying this one were....

Cannondale Caffeine 29er
    Fuji 29er
    Niner custom build
    Gary Fisher Paragon
    Gary Fisher Superfly (took it for a long test ride through the woods)

The only one I rode that can compare to this Moto is the Superfly at more than twice the $. BD is not kidding when they make that claim on their website. The feel is remarkably similar. Both are extremely solid feeling bikes. I think I preferred the shifters (Sram) on the GF. It seemed like they were a bit shorter-throw than the XTRs. But I'm really nit-picking. For less than half the $, the Moto is a steal.

I need to buy a shock pump next as I think my 190 lbs is a bit much for the way the Reba is dialed in from the factory. Seems a tad bit squishy.

BTW, the spokes are flat, not round. I didn't pick that up looking at the pics on BD. And there is a bit of shaping to the tubing. It's not just round as it looks on the website. Oh yeah, I think there may be more room for larger rubber than it appears on the website. I didn't measure with a ruler yet, but I'd estimate there is about 1/2" or
    5/8" of clearance on either side of the rear tire. I'll measure and post when I get a chance.

Feel free to ask any questions about the bike and I'll answer as best as I can.

Weight Maniac
    Post some picture please.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I took a quick spin on the 17" Fly Ti 29er bike that was supposedly at "the magazine" for the review , at the BD store here in JAX today. Surprisingly for a 17" the cockpit didn't feel as cramped as the 21" Fantom Comp DS I tested some months back.

A 19" 29er Ti may be in my future, but that will have to be it for me for a while. I only wish I knew more about the rumored 29er DS bikes from MB. Anyone?

Now what magazine review are they talking about?
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sorry for the delay posting. I've been busy. This is the bike before I pumped up the tires. It's a whole lot dirtier now!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Is that the stock handlebar? I thought is was aluminum. Is is anodized?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by cartmed
    Is that the stock handlebar? I thought is was aluminum. Is is anodized?
    yes it is stock.

it is aluminum.

looks like black powder-coated. not sure how to tell if it's anodized.

mtbr member
    Congrats. At first glance, it looks like a Fly Ti or Fantom Ti. Can't really see the difference with the big wheels.

More pics, please.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Could you tell us what the seatpost diameter is in mm ?

Filippo

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/..._TeamTI_29.htm

Seat Post Ritchey PRO Aluminum 27.2x350mm

Is this what you're looking for?
    Frankenstein doesn't scare me ...

Jun 2009

BikesDirect Asked for Balance Today

I ordered a MotobecaneFly Titanium 29er last month paying a $200 deposit--and today (6/22/09) an email arrived asking for the balance of $1595.95. Paid the balance and was told the bikes are arriving this week and will be shipped out to customers this Friday or Monday. Can't wait for my first 29er--I mainly ride a 26" Santa Cruz Blur 2009 LT2. https://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/smile5.gif

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Argh ... I ordered first day it was available, about six months ago. Still no e-mail to make payment. Must be going through the list backwards :-) ... new PD-M770 pedals are waiting, along with Bontrager carbon stem, handbars and seat post ... they say patience is a virtue .... aiiiiiigh! :-)

Filippo

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by fmorelli
    Argh ... I ordered first day it was available, about six months ago. Still no e-mail to make payment. Must be going through the list backwards :-) ... new PD-M770 pedals are waiting, along with Bontrager carbon stem, handbars and seat post ... they say patience is a virtue .... aiiiiiigh! :-)

Filippo
    Hi
    Thanks for the order
    If you do not get a payment request by this evening; please PM me your name so I can see where it is.

Staff is sending out payment requests all day today; but should finish by tonite

Mike

Jun 2009
    <<Originally Posted by fmorelli
    .. new PD-M770 pedals are waiting, along with Bontrager carbon stem, handbars and seat post ... ... aiiiiiigh! :-) Filippo>>

Flippo--your accessories sound intriguing--as I definitely want to lighten up my Fly Ti 29er as much as possible. I ordered a small size frame and I have only a pair of eggbeater steel pedals waiting--about 260g each.

How much weight do you expect to shave off with the carbon stem, handlebars and seatpost? I may get a carbon handlebar just for shock absorbing value. Also, can you post your total weight here once you build it (and I'll post mine--which will be stock) ?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecrock45
    Seat Post Ritchey PRO Aluminum 27.2x350mm
    That's what it said about Fly Ti (though with WCS variety), but it is actually 31.6. I would think that 29r is 31.6 as well.

BD website is not the most reliable place, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Can someone who has the bike post the seatpost diameter?

BTW, paid for mine and it is en route!

Filippo

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    AltRox,

nice looking bike. Mine is arriving next week. I wonder if you had a chance to check if the frame has been prepped with DuPont Teflon grease or Ti-Prep and components properly greased etc. Just thinking how much disasembly I will have to do.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    On Ti-Prep ... doesn't seem necessary by this thread ...

http://www.bikeforums.net/archive/in.../t-144726.html

Filippo

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Spoke to a bike mechanic in my LBS Friday and got a tube of copper based TiPrep which says could be used for all metals and carbon. General consensus seems to be either lots of grease or TiPrep on BB threads and seatpost (if Al to Ti or Ti to Ti). The only other areas I can think of are headset and brake calipers?
    Carbon parts require a different, anti-slipping stuff, but there are none on this bike as stock.

Since I will be checking on how the bike was assembled anyways, I will decide on what to grease and which what during that process.

Just wondered if any of you guys who might have already received Ti bikes from BD have any experience with this already.
    Thanks,
    Granite

newfydog
    May 2009
    A friend just tried to order one----sold out! He'll ask when the next load is arriving.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I didn't lube anything when I assembled mine. The chain seemed nicely lubed already.

I did hose the bike off once after getting it dirty and some rust showed up the next day on the chain and rear cassette. Probably could use some relubing at this point.

I've still got to adjust the front brake as it's pretty noisy.

The last few days I've noticed an annoying creaking sound that sound like it's from the front fork or headset. Any ideas about that?

Otherwise the bike is great. I've loaded it onto the roof of my Forerunner a few times and am always amazed how easy it is to get it up there. My 8 year old son's little Specialized with 24" wheels feels like it's made from lead by comparison.

This bike really makes me look like a much better rider than I am.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You should check to make sure the creaking is coming from the fork/headset area, creaks can sound like they're coming from one place but are really coming from another. Creaks in the seatpost, crank are common. You should try putting a thin layer of grease on contact points, also you should check you bolts to make sure they're tight. Thats just a little bit to get you started.
    "If you brake, you don't win" - Mario Cipollini

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    My bike came Monday and got it put together and test rode it.. a couple of observations from someone riding a 1995 Proflex 555 before this:
    - you'll need torx T25 fittings to put the discs on (chain rings also use torx fittings)
    - everything has torque specs (my old bike had nary a one) except the seat post
    - the seatpost ended up being a little short for me, so I now have a 400 mm - perfect
    - the standover clearance is good, but rises REALLY fast
    - the down tube can flex... reminds me of some of the 90s cannondales
    - the welds overall look great - I had expectations of klugey welds
    - on my rides so far, I get lots of chain slap, so a guard is worth thinking about

And today I had my first wreck.

The power transfer is immediate, the rear end feels super light and I do not notice that I am on a 29er except that I coast through stuff much faster.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

Yeah baby I gots my 29 Ti!

I paid on Friday and it showed up on Tuesday. Put it together in half an hour. It took me longer to unbox the thing! All specs and pics from bikesdirect website are spot on. I got what I paid for and considering the final price I got a whole lot of bike for my money. Based on the sell out rate of this go around I am sure a second sale will be starting shortly.

I tryed to upload photos, but it keeps failing. Forums were down last night. They may still be having site issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lostemple
    All specs and pics from bikesdirect website are spot on.
    Including 27.2mm seatpost?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Yes it is 27.2mm

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fmorelli
    Yes it is 27.2mm
    It is somewhat odd that they have changed the seat tube diameter from the 26" frame.

Looks like you are right. I wonder why.. Maybe for more clearance for chainrings?

29r BB:

26r BB:

Jun 2009

First Ride with Fly 29er Ti Today

My Fly 29er Motobecane arrived last night, this morning I had a local bike shop (Jan's in Park City, UT) assemble it for $45 (plus tip). This was necessary for me as I didn't have a torque wrench and you need to mount the front brake rotor to the front wheel, and similarly tighten the front handlebar with a torque wrench.

I then did a short 45-minute ride on Lost Prospector (8 miles, 500' vertical climb) to test out the bike in advance of a longer ride planned for this evening. Here are my observations.

1. The bike is truly amazing value and worth every penny--plus much more. It rides very tight and the wheels arrived "true", the XTR shifters were perfectly adjusted, etc.

2. That said, there were two important limitations that required me spending $211 right after my ride to fix:

(a) Rear Cassette - The bike came with a 12-27 rear XTR cassette which is a road vs mountain bike cassette--according to my bike shop. It was hard to get used to on a steep climb and I immediately purchased an 12-34 rear XT cassette for $99 including installation.
    No one at the bike shop ever saw a mountain bike with such a cassette (27 sprockets vs 32 or 24). Is this an east vs west coast thing? Comments all appreciated. I'm not complaining, but so far it seems that this bike (being a 29er) would need a 12-40 (larger sprockets) vs less.

(b) Front Handlebar - The bike came with a lightweight straight aluminum handlebar that was only 22" wide--standard for the same Ritchey brand seems to be 27.5" Makes no sense. The stock bar was simply too narrow to comfortably ride and breathe. I use to ride through some dense forests years ago in my 40s and once had a bar cut down from 27.5" to 25.5"--but never as narrow as 22". Also, I'm used to my 2009 26" Blur XT2 and the Motobecame stock straight aluminum bar rattled me too much on rocks. So, I immediately upgraded to an XC MonkeyLite Riser Composite handlebar for $120 including installation which I expect will be a big improvement this evening.

More to come. But so far I am very happy with Motobecane and BikesDirect even though I had to spend $219 today to improve the bike.

Jun 2009

I forgot to post the weight and size comment

The stock bike with all included components (15.5" frame) weighted 22.7 lbs. after building. Adding my standard eggbeater pedals brought the weight to 23.3 lbs. Then substituting the Monkeylite Composite wider 27.5" bar (175g) for the Ritchie 22" wide aluminum bar (180g), and substituting the XT 12-34 cassette for the original XTR 12-27 cassette--gave a new total weight of 23.6 lbs with pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MountainBiker9
    (a) Rear Cassette - The bike came with a 12-27 rear XTR cassette which is a road vs mountain bike cassette--according to my bike shop. It was hard to get used to on a steep climb and I immediately purchased an 12-34 rear XT cassette for $99 including installation.
    No one at the bike shop ever saw a mountain bike with such a cassette (27 sprockets vs 32 or 24). Is this an east vs west coast thing? Comments all appreciated. I'm not complaining, but so far it seems that this bike (being a 29er) would need a 12-40 (larger sprockets) vs less.
    That was an Ultegra cassette I owuld guess, and if they had not seen MTB cassettes with less then 32t sprockets they must not be in the business for very long. 28t used to be the norm.

It is perfectly functional, and it is kind of odd that one extra gear would stop you from climbing. It is still more then twice lower then what all the singlespeeders use. Whole lot of people use 12-27 for the better gear spacing it provides.

There is lot of discussions about it on this board, but I guess it is up to you to decide. I would have suggested giving it a longer try-out.

22" handlebar? Should be 22.8 - 580mm, which is pretty much standard for flat XC bars. I also do not like it on my Fly - harder for me to breath. Not to the extend of spending $120 for a riser bar, as it would mess up geometry for me..

mtbr member

Just got my TI 29er

My Ti 29er just got arrived I am bolting her together now hopefully ill have some pics to post by the evening. So far it looks better then on the site.

Jun 2009

12-27 vs 12-34 cassette

Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    That was an Ultegra cassette I owuld guess, and if they had not seen MTB cassettes with less then 32t sprockets they must not be in the business for very long. 28t used to be the norm.

It is perfectly functional, and it is kind of odd that one extra gear would stop you from climbing. It is still more then twice lower then what all the singlespeeders use. Whole lot of people use 12-27 for the better gear spacing it provides.

There is lot of discussions about it on this board, but I guess it is up to you to decide. I would have suggested giving it a longer try-out.

22" handlebar? Should be 22.8 - 580mm, which is pretty much standard for flat XC bars. I also do not like it on my Fly - harder for me to breath. Not to the extend of spending $120 for a riser bar, as it would mess up geometry for me..
    I rode today on a longer ride..about 2000' vertical with some great singletrack. The climb was tough for me even with the new 34 cassette--since it is still much tougher in granny than my 2009 Blur LT2 (due to the 29 vsv 26 tire). There is no way I could have made the climb in the original 12-27 cassette.

The new 27" MonkeyBar Composite made a big difference in the downhill--both in absorbing shocks from rocks and in the stability of being wider (normal size).

I find the Motobecane outperfomrs my 2009 Blur LT2 is several areas--particularly racing downhill over semi-smooth surfaces. The Blur is much (much) better on heavy rocks. But my 2009 Blur cost $4299 plus tax and the Motobecane was $1799 (plus $211 in accessories like the new cassette and full-size handlebar).

I do find the hardtail difficult to get used to---it really grabs my crotch on rocks. Fortunately, at age 55 with 4 kids I'm not planning on having more children so I will be ok until I learned how to ride it better being light in the saddle.

mtbr member
    I rode today on a longer ride..about 2000' vertical with some great singletrack. The climb was tough for me even with the new 34 cassette--since it is still much tougher in granny than my 2009 Blur LT2 (due to the 29 vsv 26 tire). There is no way I could have made the climb in the original 12-27 cassette.

The new 27" MonkeyBar Composite made a big difference in the downhill--both in absorbing shocks from rocks and in the stability of being wider (normal size).
    I guess fit and gearing is an individual preference, nothing odd about it.

But do not sell yourself short - sure you can do it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I do find the hardtail difficult to get used to---it really grabs my crotch on rocks. Fortunately, at age 55 with 4 kids I'm not planning on having more children so I will be ok until I learned how to ride it better being light in the saddle.
    Just make sure your voice doesn't go up an octave

Filippo

I like turtles
    Can you please post some pics of the 15.5" frame? Thanks.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

2018 Niner RKT 9 RDO - enduro AF

Members who have read this thread: 0