Fly Ti 29er; help with sizing- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fly Ti 29er; help with sizing

I started looking a BD for a FS 29er but I'm sold on the Fly Ti 29er and I need your help with the size. I'm 5'11 3/4'' with a 34 1/4'' bicycle inseam.

I currently ride a Niner EMD size large with a 18.5 inch seat tube, a 622mm top tube, 30.6 stand over and a 1114 mm wheelbase. I feel like it's a half a size too big. If it wasn't for the 16.5 seat tube on the medium would have been just right for me with it's 603 mm top tube. I ride it with a 100mm stem.

I also have a Kona Unit size 19 with a 19 in seat tube, a 610 mm top tube, a wheelbase of 1103 mm and a 32 inch stand over. This bike fits me perfectly.

So now we have the Fly;

seat tube 17.5 or 19 either would work, I think I'd like 17.5 better.

Top tube: 602 vs 622. The 17.5 is closer to my perfect 610 and a 115 stem should make it just right.

Wheel base: 1110 vs 1121 holy crap 1121 sounds huge.

Stand over: 29 5/8 vs 30 3/8, either would work, I like 29 5/8 better

So I should get a 17.5 right? Am I missing something? The Fly has a 72.5 seat tube angle compared to 73 on my other two bikes. How much does this change the seat position relative to TT length?

Just a couple more questions:

Does anyone have the head tube measurement for the two sizes?

How about BB shell length?

And finally; the XO bikes both come with a FSA afterburner crank; one three speed one tow speed. Is it the same crank with different rings or is it a different crank?

Thank you for your help!
    60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Yes get a 17.5. I'm 5-10 with 33" inseam. I might have bought a 15.5 but they were sold out. I'd like 1 1/4 more standover.

I'm 70 years old. My riding is undoubtedly less aggressive than most Fly Ti 29 riders. I'm coming from a 17" Monocog (SS) rigid 29er. I ride mostly dirt roads and trails.

I can't bear riding my Cannondale F500 26 HT.

I really like this bike a lot. I have about 300 miles on it.
    Last edited by svbackstreets; 10-25-2010 at 06:09 PM.
    Redline Monocog 29er
    Moto Team Fly 29er Ti
    Trike-X
    Cannondale F500
    Rans Rocket (bent)
    Burley Spider (bent)

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I'm your height with a 33" inseam and ride a L. My only "complaint" is the standover could be better but otherwise it's my favorite bike to date FYI, I built mine from the frame up and have a straight seatpost, 90mm stem and an 80mm fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Its a great bike. Get either size. You will be challenged by the standover a bit more on the L. I ride a L with a 35.25" cycling inseam from PB to ground...and not a lot of room but enough.
    As to reach...extrapolate from other bikes you have owned. The bike is actually a hint short for me but I didn't want the tighter standover of the XL...I am 6'1" with long arms and legs. I therefore opt for the a 130mm stem as I like to ride stretched out just a bit...with my bars about even with the saddle.
    I will say this. The Fly Ti 29er has the most supple ride of any 29er I have ridden...a fantastic value. I too built mine frame up.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I see you posted in the 29er forum. If you like a shorter top tube like your Kona,
    get the 17.5" Fly for the improved standover and shorter wheelbase.
    Cheers.
    Last edited by dirtrider7; 10-29-2010 at 08:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Your right I could ride either large or medium. I'm in Pacific Beach Ca for the weekend and there is a Gary Fisher dealer right around the corner so yesterday I checked out the Fishers and rode them around outside. As set up the large felt better in the lot and if I didn't know what I wanted I'd have chose that one, but it felt huge. The Fisher Medium is set up with a 90mm stem. If it had a 110 I think it would be just what I like.

I plan on running the bike 1x10. Can you please measure the BB shell width. That will help me decide between XTR and X0
    60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    Your right I could ride either large or medium. I'm in Pacific Beach Ca for the weekend and there is a Gary Fisher dealer right around the corner so yesterday I checked out the Fishers and rode them around outside. As set up the large felt better in the lot and if I didn't know what I wanted I'd have chose that one, but it felt huge. The Fisher Medium is set up with a 90mm stem. If it had a 110 I think it would be just what I like.

I plan on running the bike 1x10. Can you please measure the BB shell width. That will help me decide between XTR and X0
    The large is a big bike to be sure...but if you don't need the top tube length, the medium is better because the head tube and sta are the same.
    I through a scale on my BB for you and it measures 72mm wide...or there abouts. FWIW I run a Sram driveline on mine...but SLX triple with 1 spacer on the drive side of the BB.
    I like Shimano cranks and cassettes and chains and Sram derailleurs and shifters.
    You will enjoy the bike once you get it sorted.
    Have fun.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Dirtrider. One more question; I run my Niner with an XT crank and a 28 tooth granny chainring only. Does it look like a 28 tooth granny will fit on the Fly ti 29er?
    60; it's the new 40!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney
    Thanks for the info Dirtrider. One more question; I run my Niner with an XT crank and a 28 tooth granny chainring only. Does it look like a 28 tooth granny will fit on the Fly ti 29er?
    I would say yes...but not an absolute certainty. My 22t granny has a lot of clearance to where the chainstay splays outward from the BB.
    FWIW I have been playing with my fit a fair amount lately. Keep in mind that reach to the bars and associated cockpit size is quite complex. Bar sweep and width matter quite a bit as well.. I am going to a 120mm stem from 130. If one lowers the bars, this is about the same as increasing stem length. A typical fit for a guy like me would likely be with a stem length of 110mm or so on a size Large but I prefer my bars up a bit higher.
    Saddle setback matters as well.
    If you are confident in your previous set up, top tube length should transfer. I could probably even ride a medium if I ran old school 2-3" of bar drop.

mtbr member
    So..............................XTR medium it is!

I was looking at the photo gallery and saw that they use the spacers for the bottom bracket. I can move them both to the drive side if I have to.

Now I just have to wait for availability.
    60; it's the new 40!

Members who have read this thread: 0