Fly Team Ti 29er just arrived!- Mtbr.com
    Rollin 29s

Fly Team Ti 29er just arrived!

The 2010 Fly Ti bikes are on UPS trucks now and mine showed up 5 minutes ago.

Very well packed and the box had zero damage.

I know threads are worthless without pictures, so I'll post up some tonight when I get home of the box, how the bike is packaged and the unpacking and assembly process.

Just from looking down into the box I can tell you that the weld quality is TOPS and the bike looks incredible.

Also, the one concern I had was that the tire clearance would not be big enough for anything but a 2.1, and I can tell you this is NOT true. Maybe they opened up the rear triangle for 2010, becuase there is a good 1/2" on each side of the rear tire and more than that from the top center of the tire to the crotch of the triangle!

I got it all put together in about 1 1/2 hours including moving the Kenda tires onto tubeless rims and setting those up. I swapped out the short bars with Answer Pro Taper carbon risers and yeti bolt-on grips, swapped out the Vuelta wheels with Stans Flow and I'm running them tubeless. The Kenda SB8s are pretty thin so it takes a while for the sealant to seal up the sidewalls! I also changed out the saddle for my trusty old Selle Italia.

The drivetrain was set up perfectly from the factory and shifts flawlessly on the bike stand. Brakes were an easy setup to align the calipers and set the throw on the levers. front fork was set at 100psi top and bottom so I pumped it up to 135 for my weight.

I can't wait to get out and ride it, but have to let my tires sit a bit longer for the sealant to do it's job. It is a solid bike and I can't believe how big it is. I got the 21" frame (I'm 6'4") and it makes my road bike look like a little toy!

I had a hard time inserting the photos in this post, so here's the slideshow link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/show/
    Last edited by isleblue65; 11-16-2009 at 10:26 PM.

mtbr member
    My frame and fork are waiting for me at home!

mtbr member
    No pictures of mine yet either...wanted to rush the frame and fork over to the LBS to start getting everything put together.

The XL (21") frame was 3.61 pounds without the headset or seat tube clamp, but with the plastic rear drop out spacer still installed. (We were in a hurry!) So probably a hair under 3.6 lbs. Oh, and the fork looked more like it was set to 80mm than 100mm but I didn't measure it yet.

For comparison from Wrench Science's numbers for comparable extra large frames:

Aluminum:
    Niner AIR 9 - 3.17 lbs
    Niner EMD 9 - 3.57 lbs
    Ventana El Padrino: 4.07 lbs

Steel:
    MCR 9 - 4.37 lbs
    Indy Fab Deluxe - ~4.2lbs

Titanium:
    Moots Mooto-X 29: 4.24 lbs
    Indy Fab Deluxe Ti: ~3.53 lbs

I have Chris King/Stan's Arch wheels coming in and will be using Rampages for the winter. The calculator says that plus the parts from my Fly Ti 26'er (stock except for Specialized Rival SL saddle, Specialized all mountain lock on grips and an Easton EC90 flat bar) should come in at ~25.7 lbs with XT pedals. Can't wait
    Last edited by TXNavy; 11-16-2009 at 08:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65
    The 2010 Fly Ti bikes are on UPS trucks now and mine showed up 5 minutes ago.

Very well packed and the box had zero damage.

I know threads are worthless without pictures, so I'll post up some tonight when I get home of the box, how the bike is packaged and the unpacking and assembly process.

Just from looking down into the box I can tell you that the weld quality is TOPS and the bike looks incredible.

Also, the one concern I had was that the tire clearance would not be big enough for anything but a 2.1, and I can tell you this is NOT true. Maybe they opened up the rear triangle for 2010, becuase there is a good 1/2" on each side of the rear tire and more than that from the top center of the tire to the crotch of the triangle!

I got it all put together in about 1 1/2 hours including moving the Kenda tires onto tubeless rims and setting those up. I swapped out the short bars with Answer Pro Taper carbon risers and yeti bolt-on grips, swapped out the Vuelta wheels with Stans Flow and I'm running them tubeless. The Kenda SB8s are pretty thin so it takes a while for the sealant to seal up the sidewalls! I also changed out the saddle for my trusty old Selle Italia.

The drivetrain was set up perfectly from the factory and shifts flawlessly on the bike stand. Brakes were an easy setup to align the calipers and set the throw on the levers. front fork was set at 100psi top and bottom so I pumped it up to 135 for my weight.

I can't wait to get out and ride it, but have to let my tires sit a bit longer for the sealant to do it's job. It is a solid bike and I can't believe how big it is. I got the 21" frame (I'm 6'4") and it makes my road bike look like a little toy!

I had a hard time inserting the photos in this post, so here's the slideshow link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/show/
    Nice!

Your fork looks more like an 80mm as well though?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by isleblue65

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/show/"
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/show/[/URL]
    Wow, 21 inch frame almost makes it look like a regular 26 inch wheeled bike.. haha.
    ------------------
    My Blog - Big Muddy Wheels

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy
    Nice!

Your fork looks more like an 80mm as well though?
    I'm not sure. The 2 polymer spacers were inside the RockShox bag with the manual, and I'm assuming those are the spacers that you install to reduce the travel from 100 to 80mm. They look like 20mm long spacers.

Yes, I didn't expect the bike to be so huge, but when I sit on it it feels great. The hubs are higher off the ground than my road bike because of the 29er tires, but the saddle and handlebar height is about the same.

Rollin 29s

First Ride Report

I just got back from 2 night laps at a local singletrack park. I was expecting to take it slow and easy, since this would be my very first time off road on a 29er, but this bike just inspires confidence. I felt like I barely touched the brakes the whole time and it was more nimble in the tight corners than my 26" full suspension. The second lap was even faster. The bike just flows along that tight singletrack unlike any bike I've ever ridden.

The bike is very stiff when standing and power goes right to the wheels, but the combination of tubeless 29" wheels and the Ti frame make the bike feel soft and forgiving when sitting and going over rocks and logs.

It definitely takes a little more effort to pop the front wheel up onto rocks or logs than it does on a 26er. The first few times when I thought I was pulling up enough to put the tire on top of something, it remained on the ground and just rolled into and over the log/ rock. It is true what everyone says -- that those big wheels roll over anything with ease and smooth out the trail.

I think there are going to be a lot more of these seen on the trails in the future. Great bike.

mtbr member
    A few welds seem to be somewhat less accurate then on my 26r Fly Team. Does not mean a thing though. You would not be staring at every bead while riding, they are still all pretty darn good. Maybe I got a frame made in the morning..

Members who have read this thread: 0