Fly Team Ti 29er - 30x42? Really?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Fly Team Ti 29er - 30x42? Really?

I'll be writing a full review in a week or so, but my first CON is that they shipped it with a 30t X 42t crankset. Really? On a 29er this is unforgivable, and to make matters worse it's a proprietary 86mm 3-hole crank that you can't even get other rings for.

There are lots of things to love about this bike (24.1 lbs with pedals, frame is beautiful, wheels true), but I don't understand how they can come so close to making a perfect bike and then screw up some pretty obvious & easily fixable things (bad gear ratios, handlebars too narrow, seat post not nearly long enough). Instead you have to spend a bunch of time replacing things that they could have easily gotten right in the first place without much additional cost.

One last thing - I also have a Moto Ti road bike I got last year, and between the two bikes 3 of the 4 tubes would not hold air on arrival. The least of my worries, but kinda funny.

More to come -
    dan

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I got the Ti29 X0 last week. It came with 42/27 which doesn't go as low as my Fantom 29er, it's roughly equivalent to my 2nd lowest gear on that bike, which is fine for me.

It looks like it will cost you $30 buck to get a 27T. Not sure why they don't offer anything smaller. I took my Ti29er out today on it's maiden voyage, 18 miles of single track and fire road, no elevation changes. Still playing with my different stem lengths (shorter), got the new bars and new seat last week.

I just got my lap top back tonight (warranty issue, hard drive crashed), so I'll be adding pics now. The forks are a huge upgrade from the dart 3 on my Fantom.

I have no use for the bars, seat, grips, or the 130mm stem.

Have fun with your new ride Dan!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Agree with dstedman entirely! Foam grips? 22.5 handlebars? And yes, the damn gearing... 39/26 would have been perfect for me. 100mm stem on the 15.5 inch bike seems long too, so going to Thomson.

mtbr member
    Silly question, but did you look into gearing on the bike before or after you opened the box? ;-)

Motobecane is based in Florida where there aren't many hills. That being said, their gearing choices haven't been too off. The 12-27 cassette on my 26" Ti Fly was actually just fine on a 20lb bike...I never needed the granny. And I'd be fine with 30T 95% of the time, particularly if there's a 36T in the back while I'd rather have a 39/26.

Yeah, the handlebars are silly. But no boxed-bike from a store or the Internet is going to be perfect for you without some drawbacks. I think your expectations might have been just a little high here...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Oh sure - I knew I would either get a 28 or 30 tooth small ring, so I can't complain too much, but in a 29er didn't know how tall the gear would be (my first 29er). I like to spin up steep inclines, which isn't going to be possible as setup.

Got my Thomson 410mm setback seatpost, which has fixed my seat-height woes perfectly. Beautifully made & matches well.

One more oddity - it is really, really hard to get the back wheel on and off with the 15.5" frame. Hardly any clearance & the XTR derailleur design prohibits the usual ability to move it aside. Even after practicing I don't think I could get it off & on quickly in a race. The trick might be to leave the tire flat until u get the wheel back on the bike, then fill it. Had a friend who races expert class confirm it - he thought I was an idiot until he tried it himself. :-)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Got my Thomson stem at 70mm. Feels great. Now if only the seat post won't slip all the time... That seat clamp is garbage. Waiting for red Salsa clamp. Might change the crank to 38/26 when new XT double crank comes out. XTR would be great, but a little on the pricey side...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Question - did you know this was going to be included when you ordered?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobsled Whore
    Question - did you know this was going to be included when you ordered?
    FSA Afterburner 386, Hollow Aluminum Arms, MegaExo 42x28T or 42x30T (No Choice), 73mm BB width, standard English thread

from bikesdirect website..

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Of course, but as noted in the listing...(No Choice). Still love the bike, but more "normal" gear ratio would be cool.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nyxis
    FSA Afterburner 386, Hollow Aluminum Arms, MegaExo 42x28T or 42x30T (No Choice), 73mm BB width, standard English thread

from bikesdirect website..
    Thanks. This is clearly above my knowledge level. As I will be getting a 29er soon, why is this significant?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks. This is clearly above my knowledge level. As I will be getting a 29er soon, why is this significant?
    Because normal mortals riding trails and goofing around would be better off with 39/26 or something similar to that on a 29er. 42 x 30 is pretty high gearing, and I for one do not have the legs of steel to push in certain situations.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    A 39/26 is going to require less raw power and you will spin more then with a 42/30. when you jump from a 26er to a 29er you are increasing the wheel diameter and making it harder for you to pedal so dropping a couple teeth will compensate the larger diameter..

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Gotcha, thanks guys. That makes sense.

If I am going to be climbing mountains in Utah, I should get a 3 x 10 right? Speaking of that, the SRAM 3 x 10 just disappeared from the website. Anyone know what's up with that?

mtbr member
    Why don't you just buy the 27 tooth chainring? It only costs $30 on universalcycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by davemk
    Why don't you just buy the 27 tooth chainring? It only costs $30 on universalcycles.com
    Done. We'll see how the 27x42 works out. Thanks!

dan

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have the XX version with a 39, and find it perfect here in the NE. Almost never drop to the inner ring.

newfydog
    May 2009
    Wow. They offer double and triple cranks. People opt for the double, then complain about the gear range. And then complain that Bikesdirect didn't do enough research.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    What cassette on there? I run a 1x9 on my 29er with a 30t front ring and 12-36 cassette. Gotta mash on the steep climbs, but it works. Besides what doesn't kill you will make you stronger right?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    No doubt the 30t small ring isn't a huge deal, but it's hard to understand why BD wouldn't just order the right ring from FSA and not let it be random which ring you get. I've got the 27t ring on now & it's nicer, though the other odd thing with a 2x10 is that I feel like my average speed is always kinda right in the middle of the two & my chain is always crossing from big to small either one way or the other. Maybe I need a 37t front instead of the 42t - don't really use the top end of the 42t at all off-road.

Still super satisfied with this 29er, though - it's awesome! Coming from a 26er it's like being on a smooth-rolling BMX bike.

Members who have read this thread: 0