FLY Team and Fantom 29er frame geometry differences- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

FLY Team and Fantom 29er frame geometry differences

Before I say anything, an engineer I'm not. So I'm curious more than anything else concerning the rather large differences in geometry between the Fantom and FLY Team 29ers and wouldn't mind hearing from some informed sources as to how or why the FLY Team is a better handling frame.

I've got a Fantom Pro SL and it's a great bike. However, who among us isn't interested in improving handling? I was checking out the numbers on the FLY Team and noticed some pretty big differences in geometry, primarily head tube angle and wheel base.

These are specs based on a large frame:
    Top tube length
    Fantom - 24 in
    FLY Team - 24.5

Wheel base
    Fantom - 43.6 in
    FLY Team - 44.1

Head tube angle
    Fantom - 72 degrees
    FLY Team - 70 degrees

Now a two degree difference in head tube angle is huge. And with a longer wheel base I'm thinking the FLY Team, while more stable, would turn slower by comparison. The Fantom handles pretty well, allbeit a little slow in really (really) tight stuff, but overall it handles pretty damn good. Why would they slacken the head tube angle on the Ti frame considering they are more race oriented?

Again, just curious, and if my ideas about handling based solely on numbers are off feel free to let me know. Stand over height is lower on the FLY Team, but it doesn't say what the BB height is. I'm assuming if it's lower that would improve handling.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have a 2010 Phantom 29er as well. I have never got an answer to the question about where they got that geometry from. As far as the Fly 29er, that frame geometry matches the Gary Fischer 29er geometry almost exactly. So That's how (I believe) they came up with that geometry. Where the Phantom 29er geometry came from? We may never know. And yes, you are correct a steeper fork angle, is better for turning but is less stable (with in reason of course). And I am an engineer, for whatever that's worth.

Members who have read this thread: 1