Fly Team 29er Wheel compatability with Tubless?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Fly Team 29er Wheel compatability with Tubless?

I am a newbe and dove right in for what I think is an awsome bike but can't really compare it to anything other than a X-Cal that I rode and took back. This bike is awsome for the money anyway...I want to go tubless again and do it myself this time I am already running Stans in the tube and love it.

Do the Vuleta XRP Team 29er SuperLite wheels come with just a rim strip...that is red? You just remove this and go with your choice of tape and valve stem? I just don't want to remove this liner if it is intended to stay there. I am assuming these wheels are tubeless compatable? I like the Kendra Small Blocks just wanting to run lower pressure and go tubless. Thanks

AZ
    banned
    They are not designed as a tubeless compatible wheel set .

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Split-tube ghetto tubeless....

nearly foolproof!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    That's very disapointing..so there is absolutely no way these will work running a tubless system? Could you explain why...like I said I am a newbe...Thanks in advance

AZ
    banned
    They will work if you do a "ghetto" setup . Search the wheel forum for "ghetto tubeless" . There may be a Stan's kit available , check the No Tubes web site .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cjherrman
    That's very disapointing..so there is absolutely no way these will work running a tubless system? Could you explain why...like I said I am a newbe...Thanks in advance
    You should be able to put Stan's strips or ghetto tubeless (a split 24" inner tube) in the rims and run tubeless. Nothing special about them that will prevent you from going that route.

I'll never go back to tubes by the way. I run lower pressures now, but even at the same pressure as before the ride, speed and traction are noticeably improved.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TXNavy
    You should be able to put Stan's strips or ghetto tubeless (a split 24" inner tube) in the rims and run tubeless. Nothing special about them that will prevent you from going that route.

I'll never go back to tubes by the way. I run lower pressures now, but even at the same pressure as before the ride, speed and traction are noticeably improved.
    Yep I went with stans tubeless strips on mine working fine & stan does say he never met a wheel he can't seal

mtbr member
    Split tube ghetto tubeless has been working great for me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    What advantage is their going tubeless besides pinch flats.

AZ
    banned
    Better traction , less rolling resistance , weighs less in some cases .

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurch1
    What advantage is their going tubeless besides pinch flats.

I haven't had a flat of ANY kind using just Stans sealant.
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I run 26" Vuelta Team SLs tubeless. First I tried just taping the spoke bed with Stans yellow tape, sealant and tubeless ready tires. These sealed, but were not very reliable. They would burp really bad over rocks. So now I ues the Stans rim strips and have no problems.

I will say this, once you go tubeless you will never go back. The ride quality and traction are amazing.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had absolutely no issues running the vuelta xrp team 29er wheelset tubeless with stans. Drill out the valve stem hole and clean the rims very well using brake cleaner. I used the blue roval tape, and it fit perfect. Ran the tape around once with 1" overlap near the valve hole. Before adding sealant, I inflated a tube inside the tire and let sit for a few hours or overnight to increase the tape adhesion. Tires are bontrager tubeless ready. No problem. They have not leaked. I've ridden this setup aggressively over the rocky technical terrain of the vortex trail (5 laps) in belleview. No burping/leakage. This is an excellent wheelset and they work well tubeless with stans. This is a very stiff and durable wheelset. I highly recommend.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I used the Stan's 29er kit with both the small blocks that come with the bike and some Specialized Fast Trak tires. I did a layer of the yellow stan's tape, the stock rim strip and the stan's kit (I couldn't get a good fit for the tire without all three, though others may have had success). No issues at all with the setup.

The biggest challenge I've had with non UST rims is getting the air to move fast enough to seat the tire, but nothing an air compressor doesn't take care of.
    Blogging about nothing since 2005
    http://devinrides.blogspot.com/

Rollin 29s

SB8s not a great tubeless tire

I ran SB8s tubeless for a few months, but got tired of the sealant drying up fast. The sidewalls are really too thin to be used as tubeless tires long term. They were constantly sweating the thin liquid component of the tubeless sealant until all moisture was gone, and once the bead was broken from the rim and air got out, there was no re-sealing.

I finally switched to a thicker sidewall tire (Specialized Capt Control 2.2) and sealant lasts 6 months or more + does not bead up on sidewall.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Which Stan's Kit?

I'm attempting to go tubeless and just wanted to confirm which kit to get for the Vuleta XRP Team 29er SuperLite wheels. Is this the kit you guys ordered? Several shown for 29ers, none specific for the Vuletas.

29'er Strip Rim Strip 65"x26mm

Thanks in advance,

Marty

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

No good vuelta xrp team 29er tubeless setup problems

Previously on this thread I stated that there were no issues with the Vuelta xrp Team 29'er wheelset using the Bontrager tubeless tires. However, I had big problems trying to mount regular tube tires, especially very lightweight race tires like the Maxxis Aspens and even the Ikons. The Aspens were impossible to seal/mount, and even the Ikons gave a lot of trouble. That was even after removing the valve cores. Finally I managed to mount the ikons, but the rear tire rolled off the vuelta rear wheel on a very off-camber section during a race and I had to pull out. The vuelta's are now relegated to training only. I've bought some Notubes ZTR/Crest 29'er wheelset and the Aspens mounted with no problems and have been a very dependable setup. It seems the vuelta rims are slightly undersized compared to the stans, so that on the former the tires fit the rim very loosely. The stans rims seem to have a larger diameter, and the tires have a tighter fit.

Sorry if I misled anyone on the prior thread. The vuelta's are a durable wheel, but they are extremely difficult to use with regular (non-tubeless ready) tires and I wouldn't trust them.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Rubix,

I have two questions, was the Kit you used initially the 29'er Strip Rim Strip (65"x26mm)?

Were the Ikons the EXO (reinforced sidewall) version?

Thanks for the follow up on the tubeless experience with the Vuleltas even if it wasn't a good experience. What your saying makes sense as I've read of others having trouble getting their tires to seal up on these rims. I may have to go ghetto..........

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Response to motox72 question 1: I removed the rim strip that it came with and applied the roval blue tape directly to the rim.

Response to motox72 question 2: Yes, they were the EXO version.

In my opinion, the ikon exo 29er is not reliable on the vuelta xrp team rim but should be aok on the crests.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    funny I had the opposite issue when attempting to run my vuelta XRP team 29er SL with the Kenda small blocks which came on my moto': the tire bead diameter was too small or the rim diameter was too large. I broke my plastic tire levers but eventually worked both beads onto the rim where they sat snug in the "valley". I tried getting them set up with a compressor but had no chance as the tires sidewalls would not be press against the rim's sidewalls. And without this intimate contact I was out of luck. I was hoping to make my "race wheels and tires" tubeless for better reliability.

btw - getting my ardents tubeless on stans flow rims was relatively cake after that 1st attempt

newfydog
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaktree View Post
    funny I had the opposite issue when attempting to run my vuelta XRP team 29er SL with the Kenda small blocks which came on my moto': the tire bead diameter was too small or the rim diameter was too large. I broke my plastic tire levers but eventually worked both beads onto the rim where they sat snug in the "valley". I tried getting them set up with a compressor but had no chance as the tires sidewalls would not be press against the rim's sidewalls. And without this intimate contact I was out of luck. I was hoping to make my "race wheels and tires" tubeless for better reliability.

btw - getting my ardents tubeless on stans flow rims was relatively cake after that 1st attempt
    Weird....I put on a layer of Gorilla Tape. a Stans 29er strip and whomp, they took. I had some old wire bead WTB that never did seal but the small blocks were great.

I think I read somewhere that the tubeless ready small blocks were real tight but the old ones a bit easier.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

My mistake

to Newfydog: you're right - it wasn't the Vuelta rim that was too tight for the SM8s, it was the Stans flow rim that was too tight for the SM8s.

sorry for the confusion.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Split tube ghetto tubeless has been working perfectly for me, seems to have a really strong bead lock. I was hoping to not have to use a tube, but it seems like a much better seal than when I sealed them up without the tube strip and I'm glad now for the reliability.

(running ardent 29x2.4)

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I've got my rear setting up in the garage right now with SB8 running ghetto split. The research I did was consistent with this thread.... The Vuelta rims seem to be slightly undersized making it difficult to get proper bead lock, especially with a non-tubeless tire.

So far so good, getting small amount of air leakage, but don't think I'll have any problems getting that stopped by tomorrow. Going to run tubeless on my rear SB8 for a couple weeks before converting my front Nevegal to run tubeless.

Members who have read this thread: 0