Fly Team 29er Ti for tall guy- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Fly Team 29er Ti for tall guy

Was wondering if any of you tall guys out there have the 21" Fly Team 29er Ti (want to try the SRAM XO version since people seem to like it so much) and how it fits you? I am 6'5" with a 36.5 cycle inseam, 215lbs. I have a 21" Scott Reflex 20 now that fits pretty good, but it is HEAVY and the fork is shot so I figure it is about time to upgrade. I think I like the XC style bike better even though I probably do more AM biking. Tried a friends GF FS 26" that was AM and I did not really like the feel.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...I_29_xo_30.htm

Couple of questions???

1. What size/type tire have you guys run? Bikesdirect claims 2.35 will fit, but I am somewhat skeptical.
    2. Do the hubs/rims on this bike standup to the abuse of a larger person who like to push it? I dont do huge jumps or drop offs regularly, nothing ever higher than 3'.
    3. How is the BB flex on this for a bigger person?
    4. Does the titanium, 29 wheels and hopefully 2.35 tires help with some of the shock on fast rooty/rocky trails. My Al 26in hardtail can be a bit rough, espeically since i run high tire pressure to go as fast as I can. I may get a FS in the future, but I just dont think the trails I ride on around Quad Cities IA really warrant it.
    5. Will this bike make me popular and more attractive to the opposite sex?????? jk.

mtbr member
    1. I've run 2.35" Rampages on my Fly Ti 29'er with no problems.

2. I had the 26" version of these wheels on the Fly Ti 26" and they stood up to that level of riding (or just riding poorly over logs) very well. Did not require truing after a full season. I'm running King hubs and Stan's rims on the 29'er but having ridden the Vueltas in the other size I'd be fine with them (except for engagement).

3. You'll see some people say they feel BB flex but I find it hard to believe. The first place you notice BB flex is in chain rub against the derailleur cage in certain gears. Never comes close to that on this bike. Feels very solid, whether in comparison to my aluminum or carbon bikes.

4. The big wheels and Ti are very, very different and will indeed help. Virginia and Maryland are made of roots and rocks and I'm never going back to 26" wheels. But you should look into low pressure (and tubeless) - that's where your biggest gains in ride quality, grip, rolling resistance and ultimately speed come from.

5. My girlfriend thinks my bike is the business :-D

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    4. The big wheels and Ti are very, very different and will indeed help. Virginia and Maryland are made of roots and rocks and I'm never going back to 26" wheels. But you should look into low pressure (and tubeless) - that's where your biggest gains in ride quality, grip, rolling resistance and ultimately speed come from.

Can you explain this for me better? I know nothing about tubeless. Does lowering the pressure in tubeless have less of a rolling resistance effect than on tubed. I have lowered my tubed tires pressure and it ends up feeling like i am going through sand and slow WAY down. (which is why I usually run as high as possible, usually 55-60)

thanks

mtbr member
    Going tubeless lets the tire flex more, so for the same pressure the tire will feel more supple, have more grip and less rolling resistance. The limit on low pressure with tubes is pinch flatting...the limit on tubeless is (for me) when it feels a little too squishy while pedaling.

Tire grip on very smooth dry surfaces comes from friction plus adhesion from the rubber, so on dry pavement a larger contact patch may feel slower, especially one with tall knobs and soft rubber. And since you're asking about big rubber, I'm guessing your tread is pretty tall.

On the trail, lower pressure will let the tire conform to the ground and effectively reduce the force transmitted back to the bike in the same way a shock does. Since this force has a rearward component as well as an upward one, rolling resistance (speed) as well as ride quality improves.

Grip is much, much improved too. If you divide the your weight plus the bike by the pressure in your tires (times two), that's roughly the size of your contact patches. Going from 60 psi to 30 psi will double the area of tread trying to stick to wet roots.

Anyway, the rule is the bigger the tire the lower the pressure. And there's no point in riding really big tires at extremely high pressures...you're just pulling extra weight and not using all the knobs.

If you really want speed but are comfortable on big tires at 60 psi, try something 2.1-2.2" at 38-32 psi. (What's your weight again?)

I run 2.25" Racing Ralph's tubeless on my race wheels at 24 to 26 psi and they're bizarrely fast. I have the 2.4" version on the front of my not-so-race rims (currently on the Fly)...it feels about as fast while much more confident, but I have to run it around 20 psi or it bounces like a basketball off of everything.

By the way, for us tall riders (I'm 6'2") you'll find that you can get away with a shallower knob pattern in corners than you would need on a 26" tire. My 29" XC race tires feel like they have as much grip as my ADvantage/High Roller combination on my old 26" bike, except in some circumstances.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    TXNavy, thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I might be ordering the Fly Ti 29 XO 21" in the next few days. I only have maybe three weeks to a month left of riding before winter comes here, but I am anxious. I will try the stans tubeless conversion on the Vuelta XRP wheels that come with it, if they stand up to my 215lbs.

I currently have DT Swiss 440 hubs (freeride), Mavic 317 rims and velociraptor 2.1s on my 26" hardtail so I am used to being able to pound on those things, might be a bit different story with the Vueltas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iowacutter
    TXNavy, thanks for the explanation. I really appreciate it. I might be ordering the Fly Ti 29 XO 21" in the next few days. I only have maybe three weeks to a month left of riding before winter comes here, but I am anxious. I will try the stans tubeless conversion on the Vuelta XRP wheels that come with it, if they stand up to my 215lbs.

I currently have DT Swiss 440 hubs (freeride), Mavic 317 rims and velociraptor 2.1s on my 26" hardtail so I am used to being able to pound on those things, might be a bit different story with the Vueltas.
    Well, the 317/517/717 rims aren't exactly known for toughness. They're still lightweight XC rims. If you're okay on them, then you should also be okay on the Vueltas. At least on the surface, the dimensions are very similar...if you took the decals off, they and my 717 rims were very close matches. I wasn't doing big drops on the Vueltas but I did feel like I was pushing them very hard on the 26" hard tail...despite a couple hard endo's they're still perfectly true when I check them in the stand.

I can also add that there's now a couple people in my local club who have stock aluminum Motobecane 29'ers with the Vueltas and they're having no issues bashing up and over logs and such behind me...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I actually meant Mavic 321 rims for what I have. I just plan on trying out the Vuelta SL's, if they dont work, fine, I will just get I'9s or Chris Kings with stronger rims...

Rollin 29s
    Quote Originally Posted by iowacutter
    1. What size/type tire have you guys run? Bikesdirect claims 2.35 will fit, but I am somewhat skeptical. I run 2.2 Specialized Captain Control. There's definitely room for a bigger tire in there.
    2. Do the hubs/rims on this bike standup to the abuse of a larger person who like to push it? I dont do huge jumps or drop offs regularly, nothing ever higher than 3'. I put Stans Flow rims on when I first got the bike and sold the Vueltas because I was concerned about them not holding up. Turns out they might have worked just fine. I'm running the Stans rims tubeless.
    3. How is the BB flex on this for a bigger person? I've never felt any flex hammering and standing up climbs or mashing outside pedal on corners..
    4. Does the titanium, 29 wheels and hopefully 2.35 tires help with some of the shock on fast rooty/rocky trails. My Al 26in hardtail can be a bit rough, espeically since i run high tire pressure to go as fast as I can. I may get a FS in the future, but I just dont think the trails I ride on around Quad Cities IA really warrant it. 29" wheels are a different animal. It's true what they say about the larger wheels feeling like you have added 1.5" of suspension. Big tires add that little bit more cush. I bought my bike when I was in Minnesota, where roots were the biggest bumpiest obstacles I'd come across on a ride. Now I'm in Northern California and ride Annadel State Park 2 to 3 times per week. Annadel has some of the steepest, rockiest, roughest trails in the USA. People break frames, rims and bones here every week. This bike can handle it. I constantly bottomed out on the rims running the stock Kenda Small Block Eights tubeless at 35 to 45 psi. The Captain 2.2s never bottom out at the same pressures. They also have beefier sidewalls which means less cutting and no more tubeless sealant constantly weeping out of the sidewalls, and eventually drying up within 2 months.
    5. Will this bike make me popular and more attractive to the opposite sex?????? jk.
    Unfortunately most of my (bike) rides happen to be with dudes and lesbians. I'll ride it to the night club this Friday in a quest for an answer

Ditching the howling, squealing, screaming, gobbling Avid rotors was the best upgrade I did. Alligator serration rotors fixed that issue.

Also, I notice a lot of seat post creaking where the seat clamp tightens against it. There is some galvanic corrosion in that spot (a reaction between dissimilar metals) where the anodized coating has worn off of the seat post and the aluminum is in contact with the titanium frame.

I put a little copper never seize around the post clamp area and that seems to have fixed the issue.

Overall, this bike seems bulletproof. It is very well built, rides exceptionally well and it's very nice to look at.
    Whoever invented the bicycle deserves the thanks of humanity.
    - Lord Charles Beresford