FLY Team 29 geometry- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2008

FLY Team 29 geometry

I'm shopping for a lightweight 29er and considering the 2011 Motobecane FLY Team 29 Titanium with XO build. I've seen some mention on this forum questioning the accuracy of the frame geometry specs that BikesDirect posts. Can anyone weigh in on this? I'm looking at a small (15.5") frame size. I've got a fair amount of experience on a Niner MCR small and LOVE the ride. Comparing the geos they are not alike. But if the stated geometry is not correct, then there's no point in making the comparison. Any and all opinions are welcome!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I just got one but in the 21" size. Its my first 29er and I love the thing. I could not be more happy. As for the geometry specs and the accuracy I have no idea. I do not think I even care. It might be nice to have exact correct data on the stuff but I doubt it would make a difference in what I have done. From what I understand there are lots of variables. If you are looking for an exact replica of your old bike you might be able to set it up so it is close or it might be close off the shelf. Bike geometries really confuse the heck out of me. I just pick a bike I like and try to guess what size I would need. With my two BD bikes they have both fit great with some adjusting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Hi,I got same problem,I am going to buy Fly team 29ti as well and I am still not sure about size,I am 6.2 ft tall and saw picture of size 21inch and frame just looks too big.Also on Motobecane website they say size 19 inch is for 6.1ft tall and size 21inch is from 6.3ft tall and higher and 21 is like maximum size they sell as well........I mean question is if the 19inch frame would be tall enough with 410mm seatpost for me,eventually I could tune it with Fizik Nisene saddle or some other to get more inches....my current 26 hardtail is size-20inch and it fits perfect for me....thank you for help!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My son is 6" 2" and rides a 21", but he has a 36" inseam in bare feet and his (stock) seatpost is at maximum extension. The bike comes with a long 130mm stem. If your inseam is less than 35" you probably would not have enough standover height. If the top tube lengths right for you and your inseam is shorter the 19" should work with the 410 seatpost.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    i would start a new thread about this, but i'm a noob and not allowed to until my count is above 5

i'm looking to buy a Fly Team Ti XO bike, but would like to know the dimensions of the shipping box. by chance, would anyone still have their shipping box and provide the info?

much appreciated!

newfydog
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by xcountry View Post
    I am 6.2 ft tall and saw picture of size 21inch and frame just looks too big.Also on Motobecane website they say size 19 inch is for 6.1ft tall and size 21inch is from 6.3ft tall and higher and 21 is like maximum size they sell as well........I mean question is if the 19inch frame would be tall enough with 410mm seatpost for me
    I went and measured my 19". It fits me well at 6'0", and their numbers look pretty good

Chainstay---they say 44, I get 45

Seat tube-19"

Wheelbase they say 1121, I get 1124

Effective top tube---tough to figure, but center of head tube to center of seat post comes right in at their 622

With the stock 340 mm seatpost, at max, top of pedal to top of saddle is 96.5 cm

I'd say at 6' 2" you could go either way. I have a friend and inch taller than me, and he took his 19 and moved the saddle forward and added a shorter stem. I did the opposite.

My position, of course, is perfect, while he is scrunched

If you want more measurements, tell me exactly what and how and I'll post them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    hey thank you for details!
    Last edited by xcountry; 08-21-2011 at 01:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by newfydog View Post
    I went and measured my 19". It fits me well at 6'0", and their numbers look pretty good

Chainstay---they say 44, I get 45

Seat tube-19"

Wheelbase they say 1121, I get 1124

Effective top tube---tough to figure, but center of head tube to center of seat post comes right in at their 622

With the stock 340 mm seatpost, at max, top of pedal to top of saddle is 96.5 cm

I'd say at 6' 2" you could go either way. I have a friend and inch taller than me, and he took his 19 and moved the saddle forward and added a shorter stem. I did the opposite.

My position, of course, is perfect, while he is scrunched

If you want more measurements, tell me exactly what and how and I'll post them.
    hey,thank ou for measurements!that helps a lot! Main thing for me is the seat position,rest is ok,I preferre much more smaller frame,once I had Gary fisher Sugar in 2003 and it was
    size L,once I added really tall seatpost rest was allright for me....Actually I have found Tune seatpost 420mm,or Thomson 410mm should be allright,coul you please post the picture of your bike?thank you!