Fly Pro 21.9lbs - $1200- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fly Pro 21.9lbs - $1200

How is this bike? i'm trying to recommend it to my cousin, but don't know much about the frame.

i know the drivetrain is top notch, and the fork is a racing fork (albeit has some quality problems)

how is the quality of the frame? is it as high quality as something from (lets say) the Rockhopper?

what is motobecane's warranty on the frame and parts purchases from bikesdirect?
    RH SL Pro

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by louisssss
    How is this bike? i'm trying to recommend it to my cousin, but don't know much about the frame.

i know the drivetrain is top notch, and the fork is a racing fork (albeit has some quality problems)

how is the quality of the frame? is it as high quality as something from (lets say) the Rockhopper?

what is motobecane's warranty on the frame and parts purchases from bikesdirect?

Quality of the frame is the same as quality you would see on any brand; like Trek, Fisher, Specialized, Etc. Frame is made by Kinesis - who builds frames for about every brand you have ever heard of.

The 2010 FLY has a new beefier frame design than previous Fly models - about 130 gram heavier frame strenghten for use beyound XC racing.

Frame warranty is lifetime against defects.

mtbr member
    the frame is the same quality as a cannondale HT/ specialized HT frame? i dont know, maybe. but the Weld Job on it sure looks like it was made with much less precision.

RH SL Pro

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    well the spec and cdale pics are smaller so its not fair to compare, but
    as a certified TIG welder, I can tell you the welds on the Moto look great to me.

Not sure if bike builders do this, but some people will grind their welds to make them look smoother.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    louisssss-

I'm not sure if you've welded before, but I agree with Evan55, those welds on the Fly pro are great by welding standards. Keep in mind that you are visually comparing small images of painted frames to a high resolution image of a bare metal frame. The reflective bare metal tends to exaggerate the texture of the welds, while the paint tends to hide it. Check out the picture of the welds on the painted Fly 9357 image and you'll see that they are quite similar to those on the images you provided.

I understand your dilemma, as I wasn't so quick to accept that these frames are "just as good" as their more expensive competition either. After many months on my Fantom Pro however, I am totally sold. Short of the nice looking hydro-formed tubes and fancy paint-jobs of the other guys, these Motobecanes are extremely capable bikes, at half the cost.

mtbr member
    I would not say that aluminum Fly is just as good as Specialized or Canondale frames. It is fine, but not to the level of manipulation that those companies use. I have skipped getting Al Fly, even as the kit was a good value.

Titanium Fly on the other hand is better then anything they do - as they do not do anything compatible, and it is comparable in manufacturing quality to many "boutique" frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have ridden a Moto hardtail off the same stuff high end hardtails were ridden off. Neither failed in my experiance. The durability of the Motobecanes are IMO equal. The quality overall is very slightly lower, but not enough to make me want another company. Motobecane relies on tried and true geometry rather than innovating new ones for very marginal performance gains (which drives cost way up), they also don't incorporate technologies like hydroformed tubes to loose negligable ammounts of weight (which also drives costs up), and they tend to have a thinner paint job which can rub quicker and chip a bit easier (who cares, it is a mountain bike, it will get dinged with use).

I have both the Fantom hardtail and Fantom softail, both bikes are fantastic. I will be getting another with no worries about frame failures. I want a LeChamion Ti as well as replace the aluminum Fantom ht for a Ti hardtail built up with a Reba race or Reba team fork.

Members who have read this thread: 0