Fly Line Durability; Comments Appreciated- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Fly Line Durability; Comments Appreciated

My bike research has finally culminated into my decision on the Fly Team Titanium. However there was one concern with the Fly line up in general that I had. As I was sitting on the Fly Team and Titanium respectively at Cycle Spectrum, I couldn't help to get the feeling that they are a bit skimpy.

Could any owners of any of these bikes comment on the durability? The guys at Cycle Spectrum wouldn't let me put some pedals on them to test ride so I can't fully report on the bike. But I have ridden a Specialized Rockhopper for a while and the Fly's simply didn't seem as sturdy. Are these bikes capable of most of the tough conditions I could throw at it here in Texas (Trails in my proximity have plenty of rocks and large logs leaving about a 2 foot drop)? I know they are designed as a race bike, but will it work for a bit more of all around use?

Just for the record, I am deciding between the Fly team Ti and specialized stumpjumper comp HT. (I understand the componentry and weight downgrade, but durability is of upmost concern to me) Thanks for any help

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by arm017
    My bike research has finally culminated into my decision on the Fly Team Titanium. However there was one concern with the Fly line up in general that I had. As I was sitting on the Fly Team and Titanium respectively at Cycle Spectrum, I couldn't help to get the feeling that they are a bit skimpy.

Could any owners of any of these bikes comment on the durability? The guys at Cycle Spectrum wouldn't let me put some pedals on them to test ride so I can't fully report on the bike. But I have ridden a Specialized Rockhopper for a while and the Fly's simply didn't seem as sturdy. Are these bikes capable of most of the tough conditions I could throw at it here in Texas (Trails in my proximity have plenty of rocks and large logs leaving about a 2 foot drop)? I know they are designed as a race bike, but will it work for a bit more of all around use?

Just for the record, I am deciding between the Fly team Ti and specialized stumpjumper comp HT. (I understand the componentry and weight downgrade, but durability is of upmost concern to me) Thanks for any help
    I have the Fly Ti and just got off the saddle an hour or so ago. It is *plenty* durable. When I first saw the spokes on the wheels I thought they would be iffy, but as it turns out they're just fine. I believe most people on the forum thought the wheels would be the weak link, but so far everyone is surprised at what a good deal they are.

Besides, the Rockhopper has some craptacular components on it. The Fly Ti is all XTR-level stuff. There are some low points that you would change (just like everyone else I've seen here) such as the saddle and tires, but after that everything else is extremely solid. You are comparing bikes at nearly opposite ends of the spectrum.

The Ti frame probably feels a little flexy to you, but it's supposed to be that way. It smooths out some of the vibration...

mtbr member
    A friend of mine loaned me his Stumpjumper HT before I got my Fantom Ti (same frame as the Fly but with XT components). The Stumpy is a great bike but no comparison to the Fantom Ti. The Fantom Ti rides so much better, it's not even in the same league. I've rode almost 1,200 miles (most of it are trail miles) on my Fantom Ti since I go it last Oct. This mileage includes 4 races so far this year. Can't tell you how happy I have been with this bike.

The only things I changed were the tires (SB8s just don't work well at all on the East Coast) and the handle bar (needed something wider for the techy trail stuff). The wheelset might not be the lightest around but mine have taken all kinds of punishment and have pulled through every time.

If I could change 1 other thing, it might be to bigger wheels (that Fly 29er is looking better everyday).

I pretty much ride it at times like a sort travel FS. No probs on rock gardens, great on climbs and small drops are no problems.

This bike is also very light. I appreciate it tremendously whenever I have to push it up a steep climb or carry it over large obstacles or fast flowing rivers.

Things that broke so far for me is a spoke nipple which I managed to shear off thanks to a branch. 4 flats while bombing down rock gardens which got me thinking seriously about a tubeless conversion. And just last weekend, I had a catastrophe with the rear derailleur on a 40 mile adventure trip which included some bush wacking through unmarked trails and several river crossings. Well, see below for graphic detail. Replacement derailleur is going to be a mid cage instead of the long cage.

Bottomline, between the Stumpy and the Fly Ti, the Fly Ti is the obvious choice.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    TXNavy and eujinc,
    You guys responded to my thread in the most professional and authentic way. Thank you so much! You really made my day.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger, and put my down payment at Cycle spectrum on the Titanium before reading your advice , but your comments are incredibly reassuring (Thanks again eujinc for the pictures). Thanks for all the help guys. Needless to say, I am so psyched up to ride her!

mtbr member
    Good choice . Post pics and ride report when you get it, and may you have many great adventures with it.

...sorry, got carried away with the pics.
    Last edited by eujinc; 05-19-2009 at 01:33 PM.

mtbr member
    Good choice.

Members who have read this thread: 0