Fly 9357

Printable View

• 12-10-2009
    racerrrrx
    Fly 9357
    I just took delivery of a new leftover 2008, it looks sweeeet. Any tips from owners- weak points? The tires concern me- worried about flats and sketchy traction with a 345 gram racy tire on rocks and roots. Looks like it might get up to 30+ degrees in the next couple days so I can get a test ride in.
  • 12-10-2009
    racerrrrx
    Oh yeah- has anyone done a ghetto tubeless setup with the stock tires and rims?
  • 12-10-2009
    AZ
    Ghetto wont be a problem , but swap out the tires . Good luck , enjoy .
  • 12-10-2009
    racerrrrx
    Thanks. Any suggestions for a decent priced tire for midwest rooty trails?
  • 12-11-2009
    guapo1
    Kenda Klimax Lite tires w/ tubes worked OK for me on the front. I wore a front tire out w/o any issues. I actually liked it on the front, for recreational riding. On the back I got lots of flats. Both pinch and punctures. I weigh 160lbs. I wouldn't trust the tire for racing unless you are less than about 120lbs and even then you'll likely have problems with flats sooner or later, even tubeless.

Vuelta rims have worked well w/ a ghetto/Stans setup. Some burping using 1.9 Small Blocks while racing aggressively on the most rugged courses we have here in Utah. On the smoother trails there is no burping using 1.9 SB's. Refreshing Stans has been an issue. It's very hard to get the bead to re-seat. I have been successful about 50% of the time re-seating the bead. Initial seating of the bead on a new tire with a compressor is very easy and quick. I am using just the yellow tape. I have a couple Stans rubber rim strips that may help the bead re-seat more easily. I'm going to try them when I get my new race wheels. I'll use the heavier Vuelta wheels as my training wheels. Yes, I need training wheels.:smilewinkgrin: