Fly 29er Ti Frameset- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fly 29er Ti Frameset

Hello all!

Ordered a Fly 29er Ti frameset over the weekend and just got it this morning. My plan was to move all the parts from my Trek X-Caliber (frame is too big) and try to sell the Trek frameset on CL or something. I have the Trek set up as a 1x10 so the Fly will be set up as the same. I did get a new BB and Stylo 1.1 SS crankset.

Expected the frame to have a straight 1 1/8" headtube and an older 9mm fork (from the picture and description) but was pleasantly surprised to get the tapered headtube and 15mm Maxle Lite Reba RL.

I just need to find out if there is an adapter 'cause I don't want to buy a new hub/wheel.

Fly 29er Ti Frameset-img_20141002_111622674.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Land of the 230+
    Unless the hub manufacturer offers a bearing conversion kit, I dont think there's an adapter.

The 15mm dropouts aren't open, so you'd have to bend your fork open and muscle it in. Then youd have to fabricate a bushing to take up the play between 9mm and 15mm axles. Not to mention a 9mm skewer probably wont reach either.

Best option is to try to find a bearing conversion kit. If none exists, then you can try to measure and source proper bearings yourself, and get some spacers to keep the hub centered on the axle, which will then fall off and get lost every time you remove the wheel.

Good luck and let me know if you find anything.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. I do see that some manufacturers do have end cap adapters but wasn't sure if DT Swiss had them for my wheel. I might just pick up some new wheels for the build.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Frt Range, CO
    Time to go tubeless? Tapered headtube and thru axle Reba along with the Ti frame, very cool...must resist!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Time to go tubeless? Tapered headtube and thru axle Reba along with the Ti frame, very cool...must resist!
    Haha, I've been tubeless for 3 years now. It is really awesome. Only had one flat on the trail that I needed to add air after the sealant worked its magic. Tons of smaller holes that take care of themselves.

I went tubeless after I got two flats on one ride. Rear and then front. That sucked.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

Re: Fly 29er Ti Frameset

Waiting on a front wheel to cut the steerer.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Fly 29er Ti Frameset-firstrideti.jpg

Finished the build and finally had the chance to take it out for a ride.

Just waiting on a 12mm hex key to change the rear wheel out to 135mm.

It's fast, it's smooth...it doesn't make me miss riding a full suspension bike.

The only downside is that the small frame doesn't allow easy access to the water bottle. I'm going to have to use the shorter ones for the seat tube cage.

It weighs about 26 lbs on the bathroom scale. The tires are probably the heaviest part of the bike. Nothing else was overboard for weight savings. I bought a Race Face Turbine wheelset for pretty cheap. It says you need a tubeless conversion but I used the stock rim strip and Stans valves (leftover from road bike conversion) and it works great.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

Land of the 230+
    Great looking bike. Congrats man.

mtbr member
    Thanks!

FYI, I got my rear wheel installed with 2.35 Hans Dampf and they just fit. That's probably the max tire size in the rear.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

Re: Fly 29er Ti Frameset

Decal delete.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joshhan View Post
    Hello all!

Ordered a Fly 29er Ti frameset over the weekend and just got it this morning. My plan was to move all the parts from my Trek X-Caliber (frame is too big) and try to sell the Trek frameset on CL or something. I have the Trek set up as a 1x10 so the Fly will be set up as the same. I did get a new BB and Stylo 1.1 SS crankset.

Expected the frame to have a straight 1 1/8" headtube and an older 9mm fork (from the picture and description) but was pleasantly surprised to get the tapered headtube and 15mm Maxle Lite Reba RL.

I just need to find out if there is an adapter 'cause I don't want to buy a new hub/wheel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141002_111622674.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	928315
    Considering getting this frame/fork model to build up myself. I also run 1x10 utilizing a 34T chain-ring. Do you think that a 34T would fit well in a 1x configuration without interfering with the chain-stays?

Are you still happy with the Fly Team TI frame? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jstandfest View Post
    Considering getting this frame/fork model to build up myself. I also run 1x10 utilizing a 34T chain-ring. Do you think that a 34T would fit well in a 1x configuration without interfering with the chain-stays?

Are you still happy with the Fly Team TI frame? Thanks.
    Heck yeah I'm happy with the frameset!

Upgraded to the praxis works 11/40 cassette and went back to a 32t chainring and it looks like it has plenty of space.

Threw a set of Crests on it and it's down to about 24lbs.

Edit: This is with relatively heavy tires. 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front and 2.35 Nobby Nics on the rear.
    Last edited by joshhan; 12-31-2015 at 07:53 AM.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    If you're interested:

Syntace stem
    Thomson titanium bars
    Slx crankset
    Raceface 32t nw
    Xt rear derailleur
    Praxis works 11/40 cassette
    Slx brakes
    Xt rear shifter
    Stans Crest wheels
    Xt spds
    Odi lock ons
    Xt rear skewer
    Syntace seatpost
    Selle Italia xc saddle
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    If you're interested:

Syntace stem
    Thomson titanium bars
    Slx crankset
    Raceface 32t nw
    Xt rear derailleur
    Praxis works 11/40 cassette
    Slx brakes
    Xt rear shifter
    Stans Crest wheels
    Xt spds
    Odi lock ons
    Xt rear skewer
    Syntace seatpost
    Selle Italia xc saddle
    Thanks alot. Appreciate the info, I've already got a titanium seat post purchased but have been looking and thinking about what type/material of stem & handlebars I'd want to get. I think I'd need to get the frame first so I can see what size stem but would like to decide on material (titanium, carbon or aluminum) in the stem and handlebar ahead of time. Those thomson titanium bars are very nice but would set me back a couple dollars :-)

The 11/40 cassette looks interesting. I've been fine on my specialized stumpjumper 29er with the 34T and a 11-36 cassette for the terrain I'm encountering but definitely something to think about.

If you don't mind me asking, what size frame did you get and how tall are you?

mtbr member
    Thanks alot. Appreciate the info, I've already got a titanium seat post purchased but have been looking and thinking about what type/material of stem & handlebars I'd want to get. I think I'd need to get the frame first so I can see what size stem but would like to decide on material (titanium, carbon or aluminum) in the stem and handlebar ahead of time. Those thomson titanium bars are very nice but would set me back a couple dollars :-)

The 11/40 cassette looks interesting. I've been fine on my specialized stumpjumper 29er with the 34T and a 11-36 cassette for the terrain I'm encountering but definitely something to think about.

If you don't mind me asking, what size frame did you get and how tall are you?
    I got the small (15.5") frame and I'm 5'8"

I probably would be fine on the medium as well but I like the toss-ability of a smaller frame.
    Last edited by joshhan; 12-31-2015 at 08:09 AM.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I got the small (15") frame and I'm 5'8"

I probably would be fine on the medium as well but I like the toss-ability of a smaller frame.
    What did you use to take off the stickers and badging on the top and down tubes?

Appreciate the feedback and answers, really pushing me this way and calming my apprehension about mail order bike/frame.

mtbr member
    What did you use to take off the stickers and badging on the top and down tubes?

Appreciate the feedback and answers, really pushing me this way and calming my apprehension about mail order bike/frame.
    No problem! Used the remover recommended in another post. Came in a copper colored can. Let it sit and it flaked off.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/mot...me-281151.html
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry about the "quality" of the bike frame. Took it up to Kingdom Trails this past fall and had a blast on it.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    I got the small (15.5") frame and I'm 5'8"

Hi. Nice build. How was the ride of the small frame. I'm really planning to get one from bd, I'm a little over 5'7 but my friends told me I should get the medium which is 17.5

Do you think medium is big for me. I hope others can give their inputs.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy View Post
    Hi. Nice build. How was the ride of the small frame. I'm really planning to get one from bd, I'm a little over 5'7 but my friends told me I should get the medium which is 17.5

Do you think medium is big for me. I hope others can give their inputs.

Thanks.
    I don't think a medium will be too big. If you're between sizes, think about the riding style you will prefer. A smaller frame will feel more tossible (like a big, big bmx bike) while the larger frame might feel more stable (slightly longer wheelbase).

I'm running a 110 stem on the 15.5 frame. Looks old school except for the wide bars.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    I don't think a medium will be too big. If you're between sizes, think about the riding style you will prefer. A smaller frame will feel more tossible (like a big, big bmx bike) while the larger frame might feel more stable (slightly longer wheelbase).

I'm running a 110 stem on the 15.5 frame. Looks old school except for the wide bars.
    Hi. I was able to talk to one of BD's sales customer service. he said really recommended that I should get the 15.5. He said he is also 5'7 with 31.5 inseam and the small frame perfectly fits. I think You got the perfect size for you.

I am ordering the small frame from BD.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by grammy View Post
    Hi. I was able to talk to one of BD's sales customer service. he said really recommended that I should get the 15.5. He said he is also 5'7 with 31.5 inseam and the small frame perfectly fits. I think You got the perfect size for you.

I am ordering the small frame from BD.

Thanks.
    Nice, I think you'll really like it. I do ride a medium Niner One 9 SS and that feels pretty good too with a 90mm stem. I think that frame is 16" so you're right. 17.5 might be a tad long.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

Latest update. Added some Chinese carbon wheels.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Decal delete.
    So the "Motobecane" is a decal and peels off?

Found your link to the How-to thread.

I'm thinking on getting a Fantom DS Sport, love the Silver, hate the decal.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Like2Hike View Post
    So the "Motobecane" is a decal and peels off?

Found your link to the How-to thread.

I'm thinking on getting a Fantom DS Sport, love the Silver, hate the decal.

Thanks
    Be warned some of their frames seem to have clear coat on top of the decals. The titanium frames don't seem to have it.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

Took the bike out for a ride to test out the carbon fiber wheels. They definitely feel like I'm getting more traction on the climbs and the corners. Pretty good bang for the buck IMO.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Purchased the frame and fork combo a week or so ago and am in the process of building it up right now. Will post pics and description when done. I'm definitely pleased with the frame, looks very nice. It'll be a few months before I get to test it out on the trails though being in Northern Michigan. Hoping it rides as good as it looks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Pretty much done with everything. Only thing I'll probably still do is cut handlebars down a little. They're currently 730mm titanium and I'm coming from 600mm on previous bike but need to ride first and take a little off at a time, re-ride and see what's best, pretty sure I'll eventually end up in the 680-700mm range. Can always cut more off but if I go too much too quick... I'll probably eventually remove decals for a cleaner look but want to get a season of riding first to ensure I don't need any type of warranty claim. Motobecane/Bikes Direct claims warranty is voided with removed decals, anybody have any experience with that or thoughts?

Really hoping to notice the titanium dampening edge over aluminum with Ti frame, seatpost and handlebars. Time and riding will tell.

So the build:
    Fly Team 29 Ti frame Large
    American Classic tubeless wheels and hubs
    Rochshox Reba tapered w/ 15mm thru-axle
    1x10 set-up with 11-36 Shimano XT cassette and Wolftooth 34T Narrow wide chainring
    Shimano XT crankset, brakes, shifter and rear derailuer w/ clutch
    Vintage Syncros Titanium seatpost (obtained off Ebay)
    Carver Titanium handlbar (very nice quality for $110, recommended)
    Specialized contoured lock-on grips
    Shimano spd pedals
    Shimano XT Icetech rotors 160mm
    Thomson X4 100mm 10-degree stem
    Terry Fly Ti saddle
    Chromag quick release seatpost clamp

So that sums up my new ride. Gotta reiterate I'm very pleased with the apparent quality of the frame. Still have to ride test it but by initial appearance it looks great.Fly 29er Ti Frameset-20160227_181435.jpgFly 29er Ti Frameset-20160227_181450.jpgFly 29er Ti Frameset-20160227_181536.jpg

mtbr member
    Pretty much done with everything. Only thing I'll probably still do is cut handlebars down a little. They're currently 730mm titanium and I'm coming from 600mm on previous bike but need to ride first and take a little off at a time, re-ride and see what's best, pretty sure I'll eventually end up in the 680-700mm range. Can always cut more off but if I go too much too quick... I'll probably eventually remove decals for a cleaner look but want to get a season of riding first to ensure I don't need any type of warranty claim. Motobecane/Bikes Direct claims warranty is voided with removed decals, anybody have any experience with that or thoughts?

Really hoping to notice the titanium dampening edge over aluminum with Ti frame, seatpost and handlebars. Time and riding will tell.

So the build:
    Fly Team 29 Ti frame Large
    American Classic tubeless wheels and hubs
    Rochshox Reba tapered w/ 15mm thru-axle
    1x10 set-up with 11-36 Shimano XT cassette and Wolftooth 34T Narrow wide chainring
    Shimano XT crankset, brakes, shifter and rear derailuer w/ clutch
    Vintage Syncros Titanium seatpost (obtained off Ebay)
    Carver Titanium handlbar (very nice quality for $110, recommended)
    Specialized contoured lock-on grips
    Shimano spd pedals
    Shimano XT Icetech rotors 160mm
    Thomson X4 100mm 10-degree stem
    Terry Fly Ti saddle
    Chromag quick release seatpost clamp

So that sums up my new ride. Gotta reiterate I'm very pleased with the apparent quality of the frame. Still have to ride test it but by initial appearance it looks great.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160227_181435.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	246.4 KB 
ID:	1052860Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160227_181450.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	250.4 KB 
ID:	1052857Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160227_181536.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	1052858
    Did you take it out yet?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    The titanium handlebars look awesome. I think those were just added to the upgrade list.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by swimmy83843 View Post
    The titanium handlebars look awesome. I think those were just added to the upgrade list.
    Have not had a chance to take it out yet. Live in Traverse City in Northern Michigan so won't be for another month or two depending on weather and snow melt. I did take it just in the driveway and road in front of my house before more snow hit the area but not enough to develop any opinions of the ride.

The Carver titanium handlebars match the frame very nicely and look very good. No rides on it yet but I've seen good feedback from others. Can't beat the price either at just over $100.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Hello all!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141002_111622674.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	108.7 KB 
ID:	928315
    I bought this frame set as well but mine came with a very badly machined bottom bracket. How did your bottom bracket look? From the picture, that one side looks pretty good. Did you have it faced? Here is the link to my post and how my BB looked. http://forums.mtbr.com/motobecane/fl...d-1009138.html Did yours look anything like this? Thanks.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your trouble with the BB shell. I didn't have any problems with my frame. I didn't need any facing or reaming or anything like that.

Did I read correctly they will send you a new frame? That's what I would hold out for! It's titanium, who wants to mess around with cutting that stuff?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Sorry to hear about your trouble with the BB shell. I didn't have any problems with my frame. I didn't need any facing or reaming or anything like that.

Did I read correctly they will send you a new frame? That's what I would hold out for! It's titanium, who wants to mess around with cutting that stuff?
    Yes they are taking the frame back. I'm sending it out tomorrow, they supplied me with a UPS shipping label to send it back. If you looked at the pictures in this post I think it's easy to see how bad this machine job looks. I just hope they didn't have a bad batch of them, and I end up with another piece of garbage. Facing is one thing, but trying to fix the dip in the non drive side would require many millimeters to be taken off, and my LBS would probably laugh at me if I even asked them to attempt it. Plus the uneven nature of the face itself, with one side having way more metal than the other. I think I would be looking at bearing replacement after bearing replacement, if I tried to use this frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

I guess you guys are the lucky ones. BD contacted me today and said the other 19" frame they could send me is machined in the same fashion. Very disappointing to say the least, and very off putting now that I have $1,300 worth of parts just sitting around. Not happy at all with Motobecane at this point.

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that man. Have you taken a look at the Carver ti frames?
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

Updated with a SID 120.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Updated with a SID 120.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
    Looks fantastic. I had one on order and it showed shipped then they cancelled it saying they were out of stock. Hopefully when back in the stock the deal is as good.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Looks fantastic. I had one on order and it showed shipped then they cancelled it saying they were out of stock. Hopefully when back in the stock the deal is as good.
    Ranger Pride, I've followed the other thread about the machining on some of the frames and yours being cancelled. Did they ever give you a further explanation on your cancelled order? Was it cancelled because of the bad batch of frames?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ranger Pride, I've followed the other thread about the machining on some of the frames and yours being cancelled. Did they ever give you a further explanation on your cancelled order? Was it cancelled because of the bad batch of frames?
    They just said they did not realize that they were actually "out of stock". No other explanation. I would rather they pull them and say out of stock vs. send something that has a defect. I just hope the deal remains in the future.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    What size are you looking for? this medium (17.5") just showed up on ebay with no fork. Depending on what it goes for it may end up being even cheaper after getting a fork and headset. Bonus is you could even upgrade the fork higher than a Reba if you wanted. I've been happy with my Fly Team so far.

New Titanium 29er Mountain Bike Frame Mens 17" | eBay

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    What size are you looking for? this medium (17.5") just showed up on ebay with no fork. Depending on what it goes for it may end up being even cheaper after getting a fork and headset. Bonus is you could even upgrade the fork higher than a Reba if you wanted. I've been happy with my Fly Team so far.

New Titanium 29er Mountain Bike Frame Mens 17" | eBay
    I need the size large 19"

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Joshhan,

I'm looking at getting some Maxxis Ikon 2.35" tires and saw that you had mounted some Hans Dampf 2.35" on yours and it was tight fit. How close was the clearance and the tires to rubbing? I really want to go with the wider tire with more volume but gotta make sure that it'll fit in the rear triangle of the frame.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Joshhan,

I'm looking at getting some Maxxis Ikon 2.35" tires and saw that you had mounted some Hans Dampf 2.35" on yours and it was tight fit. How close was the clearance and the tires to rubbing? I really want to go with the wider tire with more volume but gotta make sure that it'll fit in the rear triangle of the frame.

Thanks.
    The HD 2.35 in the rear fit but was pretty tight. I put a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear and it fits much better.
    Last edited by joshhan; 07-05-2016 at 06:41 AM.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member

27.5 x 2.8 fit!

Interestingly enough, Schwalbe Nobby Nics 27.5 x 2.8 fit perfectly on this frame. I think the inner width is around 35mm or so. So much volume and traction!

The downside is that you have to pedal more carefully as you will encounter more pedal strikes. Not sure shorter cranks would help much.

Fly 29er Ti Frameset-img_20190824_131116721_hdr.jpg
    Bikes, lots'o bikes