First ride on the Elite 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

First ride on the Elite 29er

Well i got it tuesday and took me 3 hours to assemble. this is my first bike mtb i have ever worked on and 1st bike i have worked on in about 15 years so i was stumbling a bit. alot of looking at pics on the web for cable routings and such. it was actually fun. learned not all bike have schrader valves. As far as setting the derailers i would say they were 99% set. more on that later. Kinda of took me a bit to realize a full push of the rear downshifter moves it 3 places. i was thinking it was not shifting properly.

So yesterday i just took a ride on the road to get acquainted with shifting and feel for the bike. road very nice. 29th gear was skipping a bit. a couple of clicks on the adjuster while riding cured that. very nice how you can make those adjustments on the fly. brakes feel 1000 times better then any of the bike i rode at the lbs stores around. overall very happy with the purchase.

As for riding in the woods. thats another skill i am going to have to learn. alot harder then i thought it would be. had the tires aired up to 60 psi. dont think that made things easier. going to try a run tomorrow in the woods. what would be a good psi to start at? i weigh about 200 pounds.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    at 200lbs, I'd suggest running at 35psi to 40psi - especially with tubes. If tubeless, you should be able to set at 30. this is based on my experience (I use 25-30 psi, but I'm 180), so your experience may vary. keep playin' with it until you're comfortable, but definitely not 60psi if you're riding trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    how do you run tubless? do you need different rims?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You should be able to convert with a kit (Stan's, etc).

mtbr member
    Convert to ghetto tubeless, cheaper than Stans but does take a little more effort in sourcing the parts. I have done the Gorilla Tape method to two bikes without issue. I haven't done it to my Fatome Elite yet, since I am planning on changing out the tires before I do.
    The Good Times are Killing me

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ramjam
    how do you run tubless? do you need different rims?

Use a Stan's kit and Tubeless Ready or UST tires .

Members who have read this thread: 0