First purchase decision: MotoB Fantom Trail HT- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2010

First purchase decision: MotoB Fantom Trail HT

All,
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............

Noob here. I crossposted in the general forum, with only one response -http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=655726
    .................................................. .................................................. ...............

am a n00b here and a beginner at MTBing. I have only just gotten hooked on to MTBing in the past few months. I started with a walmart bike and managed to destroy the transmission pretty quickly riding single track around here in NorCal. Luckily for me, it got stolen :-)

Anyhow, looking for a first real mountain bike. Budget is < $600 tops. I looked around on Craigslist and my LBS and keep getting sticker shock. BikeDirect seems to be a great alternative for those short on money and long on tolerance ;-)

So, after a little searching around and reading reviews, i am thinking it s a toss-up between the MotoBecane Fantom HT Trail or the MotoB 700HT. Both seem to have comparable specs, but the Fantom Trail promises a better starting point....
    Also curious about any long-term reviews of the Fantom HT Trail. I see very little for this specific model.

More about me: I'm 35 yrs old, 175lb, 6' tall and 32" inseam (am considering the Fantom 20" size. I am not sure how the sizing works out considering that the Fantom trail has 120mm forks and so have a taller stance....

I am also curious about getting a 29er or a FS bike, but am veering towards keeping it simple and higher quality for the first time round.

Lookign forward to chatting with you guys!

DynoDon
    Well I don't know much about the bikes your looking at but Motobecanes are a great bike, I have a Fantom Comp and a Fantom Team, the more you spend the better the bike you get. My bikes are both FS bikes so I can't help you on the sizing question either, Good Luck

warrior
    Well... The company that owns Motobecane and bikesdirect.com is a manufacturing company that has facilities that produce frames for a number of brand names including Trek, Jamis, Kona, etc... They are quality machines. To answer your long term operation question, it should hold up as well as any other bike would under the same operating conditions. Obviously the better components you get the better they will hold up under abuse.

As for the size... I am the same height, weight, and inseam as you. I ride a 19.5" hardtail with 120 mm forks and it is very comfortable for me. If your choices are 19 or 20.5 for a 26 inch wheel I would say go smaller rather then larger, especially if you plan on riding it on technical trails... As for the 29er, when I was getting sized for the last bike I sat on a 17.5 Fisher and it fit me nearly identical to my 19.5 standard wheel bike I ended up purchasing.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Fox 4
    thanks for the advise regarding sizing. For the Fantom Trail HT, my choices are either 18" or 20". I guess i'll go with the 20. Will write to BD before i send the $ over.

warrior
    No problem. You seem to have the same problem that I did in that you are right between sizes. I think it would help you to try and find someone that has one so that you can get a better frame of reference. The sizing from one manufacturer is not the same as it is from the other. I would call bikesdirect though because the website says that the bike comes in 19 or 21.. in which case I would say that the 19 is the way to go.

Check it out here: http://www.motobecane.com/400_700ht/

There is a frame dimension / geometry diagram at the bottom. What you need to pay attention to is the effective top tube length and the stand over height. If you have a 32 inch inseam then you want a stand over high between 1 and 2 inches less then that. The 19" version of this model has a stand over of 30.5 which is perfect. The top tube length determines the distance between the seat post and the headset.. which functionally is the "stretch".. This has a lot to do with how long your arms are and whatnot, but if you are of average 'athletic' proportions then then this distance should be proportionately correct based off your height and inseam.

I am trying to locate a diagram for my frame to see how it sizes up.. that may be able to guide you a little better.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, what do you know...their Fantom HTs are all sold out.. in both colors. aarggh. guess i have to get a 700 HT now. grrrrr

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks fox4, you are right, the 19 or 20 would be perfect for me..however looks like they are sold out. might have to go with the 700HT..

Quote Originally Posted by fox 4
    No problem. You seem to have the same problem that I did in that you are right between sizes. I think it would help you to try and find someone that has one so that you can get a better frame of reference. The sizing from one manufacturer is not the same as it is from the other. I would call bikesdirect though because the website says that the bike comes in 19 or 21.. in which case I would say that the 19 is the way to go.

Check it out here: http://www.motobecane.com/400_700ht/

There is a frame dimension / geometry diagram at the bottom. What you need to pay attention to is the effective top tube length and the stand over height. If you have a 32 inch inseam then you want a stand over high between 1 and 2 inches less then that. The 19" version of this model has a stand over of 30.5 which is perfect. The top tube length determines the distance between the seat post and the headset.. which functionally is the "stretch".. This has a lot to do with how long your arms are and whatnot, but if you are of average 'athletic' proportions then then this distance should be proportionately correct based off your height and inseam.

I am trying to locate a diagram for my frame to see how it sizes up.. that may be able to guide you a little better.

S*it Happens!
    Why not go with the Fantom 29er its a about the same specs as the 700ht and yes, it cost around $100 more but you get all those 29er benefits…I personally would go this route.

-_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by srileo
    All,

Noob here. I crossposted in the general forum, with only one response -http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=655726

am a n00b here and a beginner at MTBing. I have only just gotten hooked on to MTBing in the past few months. I started with a walmart bike and managed to destroy the transmission pretty quickly riding single track around here in NorCal. Luckily for me, it got stolen :-)

Yes lucky for you!!!!!!!

175lb, 6' tall and 32" inseam (am considering the Fantom 20" size.

Lookign forward to chatting with you guys!
    Don't do the 20, get the larg... like you I'm 6 ft and 32"... there's no extra room between the go-nads and TT.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    And that is exactly what i tried to do. However, they are sold out on my size in the 29ers as well! grrrrrr.... i wrote BD about my disappointment. i doubt their newsletter will be of much use.
    But, i actually think the fantom29er is more comparable to the fantom HT trail than the 700 HT. Avid brakes and Dart 3s.
    i guess i just have to wait it out...sigh..

Quote Originally Posted by Moto Rider
    Why not go with the Fantom 29er its a about the same specs as the 700ht and yes, it cost around $100 more but you get all those 29er benefits…I personally would go this route.

S*it Happens!
    Quote Originally Posted by srileo
    And that is exactly what i tried to do. However, they are sold out on my size in the 29ers as well! grrrrrr.... i wrote BD about my disappointment. i doubt their newsletter will be of much use.
    But, i actually think the fantom29er is more comparable to the fantom HT trail than the 700 HT. Avid brakes and Dart 3s.
    i guess i just have to wait it out...sigh..
    Yes, you’re correct on the comparison between the 700ht and the Fantom 29er. I was just being general in my wording…"about" was my key word. It also sucks that it seems their inventory is running so low.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0