First Impression: Motobecane Fantom Trail- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

First Impression: Motobecane Fantom Trail

I finally got to take my first ride today on the new bike. It's my first hardtail (switched from a well-worn, currently dead Fuji 1-Diamond full suspension) and I'm pretty pleased.

I ordered the bike from Bikes Direct, and it took four business days to arrive. I was stoked to say the least when I got it, but mid-assembly I noticed a few problems. The smallest of which was the rear reflector had snapped in half at some point on its way to my house. The larger of the problems was a warped rear disk. It was past the point of trying to bend back, so I went ahead and contacted BD and assembled the rest of the bike.

Just to clarify, the way the bike was packed was not likely the cause of the warped disk. I imagine somewhere along the UPS route it was laid on its side and had something heavy resting on top of the box in the disk area.

I heard back from BD the next day (I e-mailed them after hours) and was told that they would cover the repairs. It was really a no-hassle experience, which I was grateful for. The new disk and reflector arrived today and I had it on and was out the door in about 10 minutes.

I rode some pavement as well as dirt and hard-packed gravel side trails. The bike did really good. It's not really heavy so it's easy to control and balance, the suspension is plush (Rock Shox 3 with pre-load adjust and lockout), the shifters work pretty well (need some minor adjustments), and the brakes are awesome.

I need to figure out my optimal seat height and I'll be ready to go out some more. I have it set pretty low now. I'm 6', the bike is an 18" frame. I went 18" instead of 20" because of the longer travel fork. I have just enough stand over room and the bike feels like it fits pretty well. Not too cramped and definitely not too large.

Overall, I am happy with it. I'm glad I did not spend more on a "mainstream" bike, as I think I'd have been disappointed. This bike will likely do all I can put it through. I haven't ridden for about 5-6 years more than a few times, so my learning curve is coming back but the basics are still there. I'm not out of shape overall, but I realized how much I used to be in riding shape compared to now.

If you're considering the bike, I'd recommend it. I'd also highly recommend Bikes Direct. I was definitely hesitant about ordering a $595 bike from a company that doesn't supply a phone number, but after reading review after review, I was pretty confident in doing so.
    2000 Fuji 1 Diamond full suspension - currently down

2010 Motobecane Fantom HT Trail hardtail

you never can tell
    Jul 2010
    That's really cool! I have had my Fantom Trail for less than a week, and I'll be hitting my first trails tomorrow. It's a good feeling!

I'm glad to hear BD took care of you. I made the decision after concluding that I couldn't get the same amount of bike (even sale bikes) for my budget somewhere else.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'm considering this bike as well. How what is your weight/height? I'm 5'11" @ 180lbs, and am thinking the 18" frame also....

EDIT: Sorry, where you wrote you were 6'. Sounds like 18" would be the right size for me also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ncnmra
    I'm considering this bike as well. How what is your weight/height? I'm 5'11" @ 180lbs, and am thinking the 18" frame also....

EDIT: Sorry, where you wrote you were 6'. Sounds like 18" would be the right size for me also.
    Hey sorry it took me a while to respond...

Yes, right around 6' and 176lbs, so were pretty similar in build.

I've put about 85 miles on it so far and I'm pretty satisfied. Only real complaint is that I've had the rear tire blow out twice, and would have been a third time if I didn't get a self-sealing tube. The tires are very thin, I think that contributes. That and the pedals... one side has clips, the other doesn't. Kind of makes it a pain if you foot slips off and it turns clip side up, but overall not a big problem.

Aside from that, the fork is great, the brakes are great, the shifters are great, the frame is awesome, and it seems like a really durable bike. I've ridden it through a good mix of terrain and it's done well. Very stable, not very heavy, etc.

If you have any more questions about it, let me know and I'll definitely try to check this thread more often.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    do you think you could have gone with the 20" frame? I'm 6' about 175 lbs and am torn between 18" or 20" frame...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aan View Post
    do you think you could have gone with the 20" frame? I'm 6' about 175 lbs and am torn between 18" or 20" frame...
    Ha, it's been about a year since I've posted on here...

I would stick with the 18" frame. I had the same debate, but with the long fork and adjustability of the seat height, I fit the bike perfectly.

It's still as flawless as it was the day I bought it, and I've had the chance to make some fun and long rides on it. Definitely a well-built bike.

aan
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    sorry, I just now realized when the original post-date was...thanks for the reply!!

Members who have read this thread: 0