First Adventure on Fantom 29er Pro- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009

First Adventure on Fantom 29er Pro

Well I'm leaving in a couple of days for Copper Harbor Michigan for 3 days of riding my new Fantom. I just getting back into biking after about a 20 vacation from it. I'm a little nervous to say the least. We had originally planned on going to the Black Hills but time, money and people dropping out of the party called for a change of venue. I had the new bike out for a little test run this weekend and it is very nice, very smooth and seems to handle well. I had one problem with the bike when I received it as the front shock leaked and had to be worked on. As I consider myself a newbie I did have a question about the front shock. What adjustments are there on it other than psi? Also since disc brakes didn't exist when I use to ride is there a way to adjust out some of the play in the brake lever. Any help is much appreciated. I'll try and post some pictures when I get back.

Thanks,

Brian

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    The Tora RS318 should have a red rebound adjuster knob below the drive side lower leg. Other than adding spacers to reduce the amount of travel and changing the air pressure, I don't think there's anything else easily adjustable on your fork.

For your brakes, if by "play" you mean the bite point, there's no way to adjust that on the Juicy 3. However, if one lever feels mushier than the other, you may need to bleed it. There is also a small allen reach adjust screw at the base of the lever.

mtbr member

UP...my stomping grounds

Be sure to get over to the newly cut trails across US41 from the lodge.

Suggestion...If you decide to ride 'Stairway to heaven', Ride up 'Stairway' before riding down.

If you need a break from the technical sweetness of Copper Harbor, nice, less technical trails can be found in Calumet (swedetown), Hancock (churning rapids) and Houghton (Michigan Tech Trails).

Enjoy!
    Last edited by stevemtu; 09-17-2009 at 02:55 PM. Reason: left out the 'if

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Well we made it back alive and undamaged except for some sore muscles. The bike performed well and by the end of the weekend I felt fairly comfortable on it. Keep in mind this was the first serious mtb trip in 20 plus years. We did ride the Stairway to Heaven up and down (Talk about pucker factor!!!!). We did make it down with no problems. The new trails across 41 were really fun and once we rode most of them we finally figured out that if we went up to the lodge that we could ride downhill alot more than uphill (newbies!!) I will post some pictues in a couple days.

mtbr member

I'm impressed

Copper Harbor is a tough place to ride, especially after a 20 year hiatus.

At the Fat Tire Festival race there, three guys went to the hospital before the race even started.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Geeze nice pep talk. Anything is doable if you go at your own pace. Break neck pace equals broken necks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thats exactly what we were thinking. After seeing Pauls Plunge I can see why people get hurt. There are some really nice trails that just about anyone could do as long as they are in some kind of shape. We had a great time with a few pucker moments mixed in and I will go back that is for sure.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    After watching that I think us newbies did alright!!!!!!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0