Fat Bikes?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fat Bikes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Fat Bikes?

A while back Mike posted about what new bike trends would be cool to see from BD.

I'll go on the record as saying the world needs another Fat Bike (snow bike, wide wheeled, sand bike, whatever you want to call them).

Is that ever going to happen? The winters up in the north get mighty boring when you can't go riding.

mtbr member
    I would like to see that as well.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    In titanium. For a reasonable price.

I will pay right now.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I have read about fat bikes a bit and they are a bike I would be very interested in. My understanding is some design concepts are still being worked out. I imagine Mike will wait.

Zero interest in Ti.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by FelixUnger View Post
    Zero interest in Ti.
    You do not like strong, light, reliable, low maintenance bikes?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well for starters it is taking off I know MI,WI,MN are having races on them Salsa has three mods starting form 1599.00 to 2600.00 for the Ti the others are alu frames..
    I have been say to the lbs that this is big it's taking off like mtb's did in the 80's out west it most likely will not. but you're right about living up north I xc ski and xc sakte ski and also I keep a track snow blowen and shovled out and I ride till it gets below 10 f and then I ride the roller in the house and run.

No Felix the design concepts are worked out. and Salsa is working on a FS one you can go to thier FB page and find it there.

KMA
    T U R T L E S P E E D
    I'm interested in a Fat Bike to explore the Adobe Badlands which is a short ride from my house. The soil is a bit soft for my current bikes but I'm assuming these fat tire bikes would float well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fat Bikes?-adobes_montrose.jpg  

mtbr member
    Probably not what you want but check out the gravity bikes in the cruiser section of the website. It's only a 3speed, and coaster brakes, but 3.5" tires.
    The ridiculousness of cycling clothes increase exponentially in relation to the distance from your bicycle.

bhc
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I would expect that Mike has noticed how well Salsa and Surly are selling fat bikes, and at the price they are selling at. I would love to see a simple 3 speed fat bike come out more along the geometry of the Salsa or Surly, not like the cruiser that is being offered currently. And to see a number of sizes offered. Cruisers seem to always be offered in only 18" frames. Some of us are just to tall for those to be comfortable with that size frame.

Members who have read this thread: 0