FAO BikesDirect- Mtbr.com

Thread: FAO BikesDirect

Jul 2009

FAO BikesDirect

It would be great if you could provide better insight into bike lead times. I understand that due to high demand that you run out of stock from time to time but sadly if I have to wait much longer I'll buy elsewhere.

Without knowing whats going on and how long I'd have to wait until you get in stock is honestly a bit frustrating....is it 1 week, 1 month... no one knows and this is something that can be properly projected to your customers with a bit of planning and coordination with your suppliers.Ive been on the market for about a month now and am beginning to regret waiting on the sidelines while refeshing my paypal cart once every few days.

Oh and Ive sent an email & subscribed to the yahoo group.

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by supersean
    It would be great if you could provide better insight into bike lead times. I understand that due to high demand that you run out of stock from time to time but sadly if I have to wait much longer I'll buy elsewhere.

Without knowing whats going on and how long I'd have to wait until you get in stock is honestly a bit frustrating....is it 1 week, 1 month... no one knows and this is something that can be properly projected to your customers with a bit of planning and coordination with your suppliers.Ive been on the market for about a month now and am beginning to regret waiting on the sidelines while refeshing my paypal cart once every few days.

Oh and Ive sent an email & subscribed to the yahoo group.

I understand
    and this is why we setup the newsletter

To give you an idea of the issues;
    1 - We have 150 models

2 - Factories tell us what 'expected production date' they have [sometimes they miss by as much as 60 days]

3 - Ocean shipping is normally 20 to 30 days - but I have seen it take up to 60 days

4 - Customers is normally quick - but have seen it take 30 days

So I can have info that say Fantom 29er Pro SL is shipping on August 25; which means it could be in Sept 25th -- BUT.. if factory misses date, ship is slow, and or customs holds shipment to double check - then I could miss it a lot

Example I heard of this AM - our most popular comfort bike Jubilee DLX, was to ship this week; factory just told me Maxxis is late on tires; they can not get the tires until August 15th - Factory has evcerything set to go; but bikes can not be built and shipped without tires {and of course, all OEM tires are produced to order and there are none just sitting around}

So, we are trying to post ship and availability dates as best as we can.

If you would PM me which bike you are interested in; I'll give you my best estimate of date it will land

Thanks for your interest

Mike

Jul 2009
    Mike

Thanks for the reply. I understand the issues you face (I optimize supply chains for a living) but think the following example message would help potential customers get a general understanding :

We are currently out of stock for Bike model X. We anticipate that we will have in stock in 6 weeks and will provide more information as it becomes available.

I also see that you used to allow for preorder (with a down payment) is this no longer offered?

Mtbr Forum Sponsor
    Mike

Thanks for the reply. I understand the issues you face (I optimize supply chains for a living) but think the following example message would help potential customers get a general understanding :

We are currently out of stock for Bike model X. We anticipate that we will have in stock in 6 weeks and will provide more information as it becomes available.

I also see that you used to allow for preorder (with a down payment) is this no longer offered?

I think that is a good idea
    of course, often we are out of 2 or 3 sizes and have 1 or 2 left in stock

We do open pre-book when bikes go on the water [that is when we have safe ETA]
    Example: we should be putting le Champion Ti and le Champion SL Ti on pre-book soon

thanks for the input

Jul 2009

We the people ... Fantom comp

Im lookin into a 2009 fantom comp... I am 6'1 and not a light weight. I used to have a raleigh m800 that I LOVED but lent it to my cousin and it got stolen. What are some opinions about it.

mtbr member
    Dude- if someone wants a bike real bad go buy one now
    if you want to wait for a great priced bike with awesome specs - then wait

Mike

It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

Members who have read this thread: 0