Fanton trail - 1st impression and assembly.....- Mtbr.com

Jul 2009

Fanton trail - 1st impression and assembly.....

First off I was very impressed with how light this bike is compared with my el-cheapo 10yr old Diamondback. Felt like a feather in comparison.

All the components look top class (maybe with one exception) - Shimano, Ritchie, Avid, WTB. Not a no-name piece there.

Frame welds were very nice indeed and paint was decent.

Only complaints:
    1) it's supposed to come with stainless spokes, but mine are black painted so I assume are not stainless
    2) Seatpost doesn't have a quick adjust fitting - just an allen bolt.

Assembly was simple even though the manual is generic. Attach the brake disc to the wheel, the wheel to the bike, the brake caliper to the fork. Attach the handlebar, the seat post and then you come to the pedals........................

These pedals appear to be made from depleted uranium compared with the other components. They are "gravity". Is that a real make or the only no-name piece on the bike?
    What's more disturbing though is it took me twice as long to get the pedals on the cranks than it did to assemble the rest of the bike. The threads on the pedals and the cranks appear to be different which is hard to believe, but it shouldn't take a large wrench and a breaker bar to get them on.
    Worst thing is they only pick up a half thread cleanly, then you need to really crank on them to get hem to turn - even with grease added to help things along. I eventually got the lhs one on - at every turn I was expecting the aluminum threads in the crank to strip but they didn't, luckily.
    On the rhs, I thought I had got it on ok and started cranking down on the wrench. Unfortunately it went on cross threaded. I got it off and because I don't have a tap that size (whatever "that" size is in this case!) I had to thread the pedal on from the inside all the way to recut the outer half threads.
    After much trial, error, sweat and worry I got the pedal on the rhs.

Problem is, these pedals are on for the long haul now - there's no getting them off!

So conclusion:

VERY pleased with the bike - light (for the price) and quality.

Assembly was a breeze EXCEPT for those pedals.

There's something wrong with mating the pedals to the cranks - shouldn't be that hard.

ken

mtbr member
    May 2009
    yeah just got one about a month ago very good bike i have only changed the crankset to a deore 26/36/48t i weighed it and it came out to 29 lbs

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if those pedals were the same ones that came with my fantom trail, they were not worth the effort you put into them. you should have just got new ones off the bat. they are really heavy and just completely suck. aren't they the kind that clip on one side and are platform on the other? super bad idea

Jul 2009
    I got an email from Bikesdirect yesterday telling me when my bike would arrive, and details on assembly.

Too bad that the bike arrived three days before I got the email.

Oh well, it's the thought that counts I guess.......

May 2008
    My gravity pedals weren't the greatest but they got the job done. I have some time atac xs's on there now that are great.

Just to point something out that's VERY important...The pedal on the nondrive side is reverse threaded, turn it left (counterclockwise to tighten) and right (clockwise) to loosen.

good luck with your bike!

mtbr member
    Dude - you F'ed your cranks up forcing those pedals on there....hope you don't expect free cranks when those pedals wallow and fall out....

Quote Originally Posted by kenc
    First off I was very impressed with how light this bike is compared with my el-cheapo 10yr old Diamondback. Felt like a feather in comparison.

What's more disturbing though is it took me twice as long to get the pedals on the cranks than it did to assemble the rest of the bike. The threads on the pedals and the cranks appear to be different which is hard to believe, but it shouldn't take a large wrench and a breaker bar to get them on.
    Worst thing is they only pick up a half thread cleanly, then you need to really crank on them to get hem to turn - even with grease added to help things along. I eventually got the lhs one on - at every turn I was expecting the aluminum threads in the crank to strip but they didn't, luckily.
    On the rhs, I thought I had got it on ok and started cranking down on the wrench. Unfortunately it went on cross threaded. I got it off and because I don't have a tap that size (whatever "that" size is in this case!) I had to thread the pedal on from the inside all the way to recut the outer half threads.
    After much trial, error, sweat and worry I got the pedal on the rhs.

There's something wrong with mating the pedals to the cranks - shouldn't be that hard.

ken
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    I just bought the same bike around a month ago and had no problems with the pedals besides hating the dual thingy. Next day i went and bought platforms

Members who have read this thread: 0