Fantom29 Pro SL Mods- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Fantom29 Pro SL Mods

The biggest mod (Flow/Hope wheelset) is still in progress.

The second most expensive mod I already ruined. My XT cranks got stripped threads on the driveside pedal interface after hitting a rock. $150 down the tubes after a whopping 3 rides. Back to the stock FireX. In the future I'll stick to cranks with steel inserts only. On a good note, the pedal survived with only a small scuff.

Anyway, the bike mods thus far:

XTR Shifters
    XTR Front Derailleur
    XT Cassette
    Shimano PD-M647 DX Pedals
    Hope Headset
    Hope Seat Collar
    Hope QR
    Thomson Elite Stem
    Origin 8 Space Bar OR Handlebars
    Ergon GC2 Grips

I've enjoyed the SpaceBar/Ergon combo on my hybrid so I went with the same basic setup here. It feels so much nicer on the hands and arms.

Ignoring the XT crankset loss, I'm about $500 into mods. Admittedly, I scavenged for clearance prices and/or took advantage of the dollar/pound conversion when picking up all my parts.

The wheels will be an extra $550 when done, but I think I would have bought them regardless of what stock bike I purchased. I expect to be sitting at about as money into mods as the cost of the bike. Sad, but fun at the same time.

The takeoffs are making their way onto my GF's Fantom29 so her bike is starting to look nice too. I'll post pix of hers eventually.

So here's the eye candy thus far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fantom29 Pro SL Mods-mb-fantom-pro-sl-001.jpg  

Fantom29 Pro SL Mods-mb-fantom-pro-sl-002.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    very nice mods!
    2000 something DB Sorrento
    2010 Motobecane 29Pro SL

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    After doing some upgrades to my sl ,the caged headset bearings are next to go.
    Last edited by jjmurch1; 06-23-2010 at 10:11 PM.

Trail Ninja
    So clean x2.

jj, is your bike a little small for you or are your legs super long and your arms and torso relatively short?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I could have gone with a17" frame i think. I have about 2" clearance on the stand over with the 15" frame, just did not want to end up to big.I went with a 410mm seat post & 130mm stem and the bike feels great. I am 5' 9" with a 30" inseam. Looks funky running the post so high but the bike does feel really good, I think with the 17" i would have been right on the top bar who knows, that's one of the drawbacks of buying online.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    What impact have you had for weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmurch1
    After doing some upgrades to my sl ,the caged headset bearings are next to go.

dude - nice bike
    but, that is too small for you

you are going to break the frame...way too much leverage on the top tube with that super long seatpost and with a layback and super long stem...
    It is possible for rice to absorb other odors in storage. Or could be the quality of water in it was prepared. Mahatma Rice

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    27.8 on a bathroom scale. Not sure what the stock weight was.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Does anybody know how much does the Fantom29 Pro SL weight size 19?

Trail Ninja
    Close to 28 lbs. The site says it's approx 27 lbs, but their pattern is weighing the smallest size without pedals.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    your bike come with elixir cr or do you change?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by oldassracer
    dude - nice bike
    but, that is too small for you

you are going to break the frame...way too much leverage on the top tube with that super long seatpost and with a layback and super long stem...
    Edited.
    Last edited by TheRealKTrain; 07-25-2010 at 05:21 PM.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRealKTrain
    You've lost all privaledges to post on this website. That is the most retarded thing I've read online in weeks.

OP: The bike isnt too small, nor does the length of stem and seatpost cause risk to the top tube. What a dumb post.
    Note who he's quoting. The image jjmurch had of his Fantom 29 Pro SL seriously looked odd. He edited his post and removed it before you saw it.

Members who have read this thread: 0