Fantom Trail DS.....yes/no??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2011

Fantom Trail DS.....yes/no??

I've decided to buy another bike after my g/f ordered a GT Avalanche off of BD....I'm a heavy guy (250lbs...but only 5'9") and am wanting to get back into shape. I've ridden bikes my whole life and have only had 3 decent ones (morewood ndiza, 96 mongoose rockadile in 96, and a 2000-ish trek 7000). I've never had a FS but have wanted one for a while...so i was thinking about buying the fantom Trail DS as my first.

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...trail_ds08.htm

is this a good deal for what components come on it?
    would this bike be fine to pedal paved paths with till i start to get a little bit more in shape and start hitting the trails again?
    anything that'd need immediate upgrading?

my deal is can spend $800 on the bike, no problem, but if i tell the lady i'm spending anymore then i'll have to hear it. I can add parts as i go over the next few weeks and change what needs to be....first will be some TBC pedals, lock on grips, and a shorter stem...then a wheel set. I'm just unsure about what brakes are good these days...or if the fork will serve me well... and i know i'll want to replace the rear shock sometime if i can find what fits it.

just looking for some advice...thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    For 100 more and less to upgrade.
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...mcomp_ds08.htm

mtbr member
    May 2011
    that's what i want, except they're all sold out............

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I built up a Fantom Trail DS frame for a friend. Its a pretty decent frame, but it weighs close to 7lbs. The rear shock is complete garbage, you can actually buy one of these shocks for about $15, no joke. You have to set the suspension in the 5" travel mode because it is so stiff it will not move in the 4" or 3" settings. But if you are absolutely dead set on getting a $800 FS bike you will have a hard time doing better. But if it were me I would save up a little more and get a nicer bike. Close to that price range are the Sette Ace and Flite, which are MUCH better bikes.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-3.1.htm

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/187...onarch-2.1.htm
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    The Trail DS was my first bike! I got tired with it quick and started all the upgrades to make it a better bike. Realistically it wasn't quite what I was hoping for. I later then bought a new fuel ex 9 09 n passed the trail DS on to the fiance. I would say don't be cheap on your first bike. Find something worthy n buy it. Everyone that I know that have got cheap bikes spend more into them getting better parts n spending just as much as a decent specalized, giant, or Trek. Here is my trail DS.....

The trek.....

I would say if you want something decent from BD that is worth the money this GT would be it IMO.....

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products...thon_elite.htm
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein

mtbr member
    Oh i forgot to mention that i upgraded both the shocks on the Moto. Monarch 4.2 rear and Reba front. The crank, front rail, and the rotors. The Reba i put on my trek. It is a built frame.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well don't have the budget right now for GT or the Sette....so if the trail ds is that bad, i'll prob just look into a hard tail

mtbr member
    May 2011
    [QUOTE

I would say if you want something decent from BD that is worth the money this GT would be it IMO.....

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...thon_elite.htm[/QUOTE]

Just picked one of these up...man for the money it IS a great bike. solid components top to bottom. no need to upgrade anything at this point right from the box. will wait till things break. LOL

BWX
    I like bikes
    I love my DS. It's not a bad bike at all!

I'm 5'9", 215lb or so and was in about the same position as you last year and I got the DS, $799- NO tax FREE shipping and after about 300 miles on my Cateye, it's been a great bike! The rear suspension moves PLENTY, and you being 30lbs heavier than me? It will work great, trust me.

I will upgrade rear shock eventually, and maybe forks if they start acting up, but I pound the crap outta this thing at times and it has run flawlessly. I keep the drivetrain clean and lubed and well adjusted. The brakes work great, the front fork could be plusher, but it does the job and soaks up lots of huge bumps.

It's a great bike and if you want to upgrade little by little over time you can impove the bike as your budget allows and start riding a very capable bike NOW.

After 3 back surgeries from 2000 to 2002 and going from a lean, mean 180lbs to a slow 215- 220lbs over the past years with my hardtail in the cobwebs, buying the DS might be the best health decision I've ever made besides quitting smoking. You will love the bike, especially if it's between this bike, or having to WAIT untill it makes more sense financially to and spend a few more hundred $$ on one. The key word is wait- buy now, RIDE, upgrade later, get in better shape sooner. That's just IMHO, I put my $$ on it though and I'm happy I did.

mtbr member
    Im not knocking on the DS. Just one of those bikes that you will want to upgrade eventually n cost you more money in the long run. A good rear shock and fork upgrade will run you as low as $600-$700 if you buy new.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    well either way, i just bought a comp ht instead...they had a 2010 left over...so now i'm off to buy upgrades

Members who have read this thread: 0