Fantom Trail - 140mm fork?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Fantom Trail - 140mm fork?

My Fantom Trail came with a 140mm Dart 3, and I recently bought a Fox Vanilla R to replace it (also 140mm of travel). However, when looking for reviews on long travel forks, the general consensus was that most hardtail frames can't handle them and have issues with headtubes snapping off.

Is the Fantom trail built to handle 140mm forks? If not I'm stuck buying another frame or another fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    According to the bikesdirect site the Fantom Trail comes with a 120mm Dart. Are you sure yours is 140mm? As far as I know Rockshox does not even make a 140mm Dart 3, check out the website. http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/crosscountry/dart/#tab1

As far as the Fantom, I don't think a 140mm would be a good idea. From what I can tell all the Fantom hardtails use the same frame, which really is designed for a 100mm fork. It probably can handle the extra 20mm of the 120mm fork, but I doubt it would take a 140mm. But I don't know for sure, so you ought to contact bikesdirect about it to make sure.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    According to the bikesdirect site the Fantom Trail comes with a 120mm Dart. Are you sure yours is 140mm? As far as I know Rockshox does not even make a 140mm Dart 3, check out the website. https://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/cro...try/dart/#tab1

As far as the Fantom, I don't think a 140mm would be a good idea. From what I can tell all the Fantom hardtails use the same frame, which really is designed for a 100mm fork. It probably can handle the extra 20mm of the 120mm fork, but I doubt it would take a 140mm. But I don't know for sure, so you ought to contact bikesdirect about it to make sure.
    I was skeptical about the size first and didn't think it was 140mm, but I measured it and there is 155mm of exposed stanchion, and when I held the Vanilla R up to it, side-by-side, they had the same amount of travel. Was a 140mm Dart 3 available last year?

Heres a pic of my bike and the Vanilla for reference on size. They aren't next to each other, but compare the length of the lower legs to the length of the stanchions, and its about the same on both forks.

The more I look at the frame and then look up frames made for 140mm forks, the more I question it. Like you said, it must be made for a 100mm fork, and I'm not sure why they would put something so big on it. I e-mailed them, so hopefully they'll get back to me with an answer. Since I've got this fork though, I guess I'll just have to build another bike

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Stanchion length does not tell you how much travel you have. With most forks, even when fully compressed there is still some of the stanchion showing. But the really important measurement in this case is axle-to-crown. That is measured from the center of the axle to the crown of the fork (the surface that the lower headset race sits on). I would imagine that the Fox has a much larger axle-to-crown then the Dart. For some reason I can't see your pics, so I can't really tell.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    They do not make 140mm Darts.

I am not sure that using a frame beyond its design limits is the best idea: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=15

It will not ride much better, if at all, and you are risking a catastrophic failure.

Reba 120 with a through axle maxle would be nice...
    Last edited by Broccoli; 03-30-2009 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    [QUOTE=Curmy]They do not make 120mm Darts.

IQUOTE]

Thats funny, both Rockshox and bikes direct seem to think they do.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    Thats funny, both Rockshox and bikes direct seem to think they do.
    Typo. I meant to say 140mm, as per original post.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    They do not make 140mm Darts.

I am not sure that using a frame beyond its design limits is the best idea: http://forums.mtbr.com/showpost.php?...9&postcount=15

It will not ride much better, if at all, and you are risking a catastrophic failure.

Reba 120 with a through axle maxle would be nice...
    Huh. I'll have to measure that axle-to-crown distance that ljsmith mentions just to get an idea about what size the fork could be and how it compares. As far as my thinking it being 140mm, I assumed since the stanchion length was 155, there was still about 15mm or stanchion left even if the fork bottomed out, leading me to believe it was 140mm. I will definitely not be using that Vanilla on this frame though. I'm in the same scenario as the guy in the link you posted above...worked fine so far, but who knows how long until it snaps.

Here's the response I got back from bikesdirect about the issue:
    "Most likely the fork will work, however if the frame were to break after installing the aftermarket part, the frame would no longer be covered under warranty. The Fantom frame with the longest traveling fork is the Fantom Pro with 130 mm of travel. Hope this helps."

I don't want to push it.

Since I've got that extra fork though I think an Orange Crush frame would fit the bill and I'll just have to build another bike

As for the fantom trail, I'll have to order a new fork so I dont end up broken myself. And the Dart 3 leaks oil everywhere. This bike has been awesome and I've loved riding it, its just my first real bike and I didn't know too much about proper fork sizing. Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it!

Members who have read this thread: 0