Fantom Ti Boost review, if you are so inclined...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Fantom Ti Boost review, if you are so inclined...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by BadgerOne View Post
    How are you liking the bike so far? I bought frame and fork and built one up. i am happy with its far. Seems to handle well in the single track and the frame itself was very well made based on visual inspection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Still loving it, no real complaints. It's just a fun, fast, light bike that feels scrappy and is always engaging but doesn't beat me up. It definitely goads me into pushing it, I love the way it springs out of berms. I've gotten used to the low BB. What fork are you running on yours?

I have one persistent issue that I *think* is unrelated to the frame and build. Haven't got it sorted just yet...

http://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires/...t-1059176.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    been riding mine a little bit, so far so good. I was okay with the narrow, wimpy wheelset, as it will work well for my intended use of this bike: mountain passes, rough dirt roads, little pavement, and some "mellow" off-road touring. My one issue: I was hoping to swap out the 32t chainring for a 38t, but it appears the 32 may be as big as this frame/drivetrain will accommodate. I tried a 38, not even close. a 34t may work, but with the flexiness of the ti frame, i am not going to try it. It appears that my only option for getting taller gears out of this thing would be to set it up with a 2x drivetrain, which would make me probably the only schmuck who buys a bike w/ a 12 speed eagle drivetrain, and swaps it out for a 2x drivetrain. oh well. anyone done this or anything else to get some taller gears out of this thing?

Quote Originally Posted by gosts View Post
    been riding mine a little bit, so far so good. I was okay with the narrow, wimpy wheelset, as it will work well for my intended use of this bike: mountain passes, rough dirt roads, little pavement, and some "mellow" off-road touring. My one issue: I was hoping to swap out the 32t chainring for a 38t, but it appears the 32 may be as big as this frame/drivetrain will accommodate. I tried a 38, not even close. a 34t may work, but with the flexiness of the ti frame, i am not going to try it. It appears that my only option for getting taller gears out of this thing would be to set it up with a 2x drivetrain, which would make me probably the only schmuck who buys a bike w/ a 12 speed eagle drivetrain, and swaps it out for a 2x drivetrain. oh well. anyone done this or anything else to get some taller gears out of this thing?

Be sure you're using the correct offset chainring, boost differs in offset.
    I ncredibly
    M yopic
    B ackstabbing
    A ssholes

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    I bought frame and fork and built one up. i am happy with its far. Seems to handle well in the single track and the frame itself was very well made based on visual inspection.
    Hi Ranger Pride, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. I am curious to know what your frame weighed? If you weighed it. And what size frame?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Georgia_Rider View Post
    Hi Ranger Pride, I am thinking of doing the exact same thing. I am curious to know what your frame weighed? If you weighed it. And what size frame?
    Size large frame and it was 4.25 pounds.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Pride View Post
    Size large frame and it was 4.25 pounds.
    Ranger Pride thanks for the quick reply. That's a good weight for what I am looking for. I'm 5'10 with 31" inseam. I usually ride large frames. Bikes direct will not give me the stack and reach (which I think are really important). Bikes direct has me on a Medium. Seems weird, right?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thatís a tough question. It all depends on your body type I think. I am 6 feet tall and tend to always feel best on a large. If you need reach because you have a longer torso or long arms then I would probably size up to the large.

mtbr member
    Feb 2018
    Just curious what luck you have had with tooth sizing. Did you ever try the 34t. I would like to go 36 but would be surprised if it fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    waiting for a used 34t to come through the shop i work at to try. can't buy a new one only for it not to work, those things are pricey. I'll come across one soon and give it a try and post here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I thought of something. It appears that GX Eagle Cranksets are under $90 bucks and the Decendant Eagle crank is pretty nice. It would probably be a quick and easy changeout at home. You can get them with 170mm crank arms. Would saving 5mm be of a lot of help to reduce pedal strikes?

The SID fork still concerns me being 300lbs, but given that there's 34-35mm stanchion forks out there now under $600 I guess if I brake it I can move up to either a used Pike or Fox 34. Maybe the SId should not concern me?