Fantom Team Questions- Mtbr.com
    Huffy Rider

Fantom Team Questions

After plowing through hundreds of threads on many forums, I think I may end up with a couple of 2010 Fantom Teams. One for me, one for my hubby. I have a few questions.

1. Does the Reba Team fork have the oversized axle? 15mm or 20mm?

2. Sizing is an issue. Hubby is 5'11, 32 inseam, and could fit a med or lg. Since the 2010's have a different fork then the older ones, can anyone help in which size might be the best to start off with? Changing stems, etc. is not a big deal and we are willing to do that.

3. Sizing issue for me. I am 5'4, 31.5 inseam. Will a small be too big? I see some much taller riders riding a small and it worries me.

4. Any idea what size cranks come on the small? Hoping for 170's.

5. Any idea how long the stems are for any of the different sizes?

I realize there may not be anybody that is 5'4 or 5'11 riding a 2010, but any help with what size bike you are riding and how tall you are will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Brenda

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    can only really help out with #2. i'm just about 6' and have a 2008 medium and i certianly wouldn't want the bike any bigger at all. i have a recon 351 for my front fork with, i think 135mm of travel. not sure how that compares to the reba though. i'm pretty sure a medium is the way to go for him. you should be able to figure out the reba team specs on the rock shox website.

mtbr member
    I bought my 2010 Fantom Team about a month ago and so far has been holding up well. Only thing that bothers me is the clear coat is flaking off on some spots of frame. Other than that, good bike for the price. I'll try to answer some of your ?'s.

1. If you are referring that they come with the 20mm maxle lite version. Then no. these come with standard sized QR.

2. I am 5"10' with a 31" inseam and went for the medium size. When I placed the order and played the waiting game. I was thinking medium was going to be too big. But once I got the bike, I swapped out the flat bar for low riser bar, and now it is much more comfortable. The medium turned out to be perfect for me. And should suit your husband.

3. I am not to sure about the size for you, but guessing the small will work . The most important thing about sizing is the effective top tube. You don't want to feel that you are too stretched out when you are reaching your handle bars. That can lead to a lot of discomfort. If you do decide on the medium for your husband. Order his bike first, that way you can get a feel for it.

4. Not sure of the size on the small. The medium come 175. Try to PM Mike. He comes and posts here once in while.

5. I am also not sure if each frame size has a different stem, but again try pm or email mike. It usually takes a day or two for him to respond.

I hope any of that helped.

Huffy Rider
    Could I get some real measurements from your medium? Virtual top tube and seat tube? The sizing charts on the website are a joke! What size is the stem on your medium?

Would you say these bikes could be trail bikes in the 5in. setup? Could they take some minor downhilling?

Brenda

Bushwacker
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

mtbr member
    My top tube is about 22 inches, and seat tube is about 19 inches give or take a few mm's. The stem indicates that it is 110 mm(about 4 inches). With setup out of the box. I would only do light trail riding if even that. The tires need to to swapped out if you plan to do any real off road trails. I have only kept mine in the 4" setting and so far just been doing light trails. I don't see any problem with this bike as trail bike in the 5" setup. I don't know about downhilling with this bike though. You would have to get better tires for the kind of riding you will be doing. And I am not too sure about how durable these rims are. I wouldn't do any thing to big.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    i actually have the fantom trail with a bunch of upgrades, most notably the rear suspension (fox float rpl), fork (recon 351), and tires (nevegals 2.35). i almost always ride with 5" inches and the bike is great on gnarly, rocky, rooty, techy, new england single track and some minor DH. based on that I would say you're are all set with the Team.

Members who have read this thread: 0