Fantom Team fit question...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Fantom Team fit question...

Mike,
    As soon as the Fantom Teams are in stock I will be ordering one. I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam. I am thinking that the small will be the way to go for me. It may be a hare too small but that would be a lot better than a hare too big. What do you think?

HTFU!
    I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam and I have the small frame. It seems to fit well, but then my 17" single speed seems to fit a bit better. I have Thompson setback seatposts on both bikes to aid in fit. You may want to consider the Medium. Top Tube is only one inch longer and the standover height is not an issue.
    I no longer deserve a signature. :skep:

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    With a 32" inseam you are too big for the small. The seat post will have to be extended beyind the minimum insertion mark. You could get a 400mm post, but you will probably feel cramped on it, unless you have really short arms. And with the seatpost up that high, the bars are going to be really low, and there won't be enough room for more spacers on the fork. I have a 32" inseam and the smallest bike I can ride is a 17", and that is with the post extended about 5mm above the minimum insertion mark. The best thing for you would be to go to your local bike shop and test out a 16" frame on a similar bike.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I just looked at the geometries of three different bikes and measured them all out. The 18" frame should fit me like a glove. It will have about 1/4" higher stand over than my steel hardtail which fits me really well. Thanks for the replies. I think I may have been a little too worried about room for my boys. ; )

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I am 5'6" with 29" inseam and the small is just right. Sounds like you may want the medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    i am nearly 6'2" with a 34 inseam and fairly long arms and i went for a medium fantom team and i am really happy with it- however, i went to a 400mm seat post, a slightly longer stem (stolen of my roadbike, LOL) and a riser bar. my main motivation was i wanted a really compact tight handling bike. its always a risk buying online, but the last bike i bought from a shop i ended up getting a XL and i hated that thing.

mtbr member
    They have a relatively short top tube. I am 5'8" and ride 18" Fly Ti, and I could use another half inch on the top tube - but I have relatively long torso.

Within an inch or two you can play with seatpost setback, stem and bar width (wider bar effectively make cockpit longer) without affecting handling too much.

Members who have read this thread: 0