Fantom Team DS - Modifications Needed for Avid So Cal Single Track Riding??- Mtbr.com

Feb 2009

Fantom Team DS - Modifications Needed for Avid So Cal Single Track Riding??

For any of you Moto buyers with the fairly light style high end XC bikes you will know what I mean.... I bought the fly XC and discouvered a lot of changes were needed ( hey I cant complain - I think these bikes are like 50% the normal cost. I need to ride daily with not too much breakage.

Tell me what you advise:

I plan to replace the 11 - 27 roadie cassette with XTR maybe XT either with 32 or 34 on the high end (I vascilate over the ti and weight issues)
    Replace short, light duty also ultra light chain with any good shimano chain
    Replace saddle - Cumfort but light too
    Replace tires with pirana 2.0 with stans kit for tubeless
    Replace the bars -- carbon, rizers and a little wider
    Replace the bar grips
    Replace seat post clamp with adjustable one

I will not replace the wheels, hubs or carbon crank

Does any one have suggestions or or ideas how to do it better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikepej
    I plan to replace the 11 - 27 roadie cassette with XTR maybe XT either with 32 or 34 on the high end (I vascilate over the ti and weight issues)
    I kept it, got another Dura-Ace 12-27, and it it quite fine. You gain ~one and a half lowest gear for 32t, may need long-cage derailleur etc. Not worth it IMO. I may switch to 34t cassette if I switch to 27-40 double crankset..

Replace short, light duty also ultra light chain with any good shimano chain
    SRAM cross-step? Lighter, and has quick link. I am watching 9SL, so far it works and shifts..

I will not replace the wheels, hubs or carbon crank
    Wheels turned out better then I expected. Keeping them. Sold carbon crank right away and replaced with XTR. Can go wrong with XTR. Now wish got Middleburn double.

Does any one have suggestions or or ideas how to do it better?
    Everything else I have done was minor weight weenie updates.. Masterpiece seatpost, some al and ti bolts, rear 140 rotor, iLink housing,

Members who have read this thread: 0