Fantom or Sette Ace?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Fantom or Sette Ace?

I know this is the Motobecane forum but looking for opinions. I have been riding hardtails for 20 years. I'm currently sporting a Cannondale w/ a Lefty...LOVE IT! I'm ready to get into a full-suspension ride. I don't race but am a pretty aggressive rider. I live/ride in Montana...steep climbs and decents as well as rocky singletrack. What are your opinions on the above two bikes? Pros and cons? I was planning on spending 2k"ish" until i saw these two bikes and the specs for the price. Seem like an unbelievable bargain. I have read all about the two bikes bet/w this forum and the other, but alas...i cannot decide.

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have an Ace and have ridden a Fantom. The Ace is more of a XC frame, it is close to 2 pounds lighter and has 4" of travel. The Fantom is more of a "trail" bike. It uses a very beefy (and heavy) frame, but can be set up to 5" of travel. Both bikes are similar and very good, but if you want something light get the Ace. If you like the idea of having up to 5" of travel and don't mind the extra weight get the Fantom .
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

DynoDon

I own a Fantom Team and I just read the specs on the Sette Ace

The Ace seems like a good deal, but $3,300.00 more then the Fantom Team with the componets being much better on the Fantom Team, it don't seem like such a good deal, I changed the tires, cassette, and grips on my Fantom.
    The brakes are way better on the Fantom, the shock and forks are better on the Fantom, forks are titanium and carbon fiber/w gate, the shock is a 4.2 w/ gate and remote, I would think the XTRs are better then the Srams, the Fantom weighs in at 27 pounds with my changes, thats probably lighter then the Sette I'm not sure, but the Toras weight in at least 2 lbs more then the Reba forks.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by manabiker
    but $3,300.00 more, forks are titanium and carbon fiber/w gate, weight in at least 2 lbs more then the Reba forks.

[/QUOTE]

You need to check your facts .

DynoDon

you need to say what you mean

Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    [/U][/B]

You need to check your facts .[/QUOTE]

DynoDon

mtbr member
    The Ace seems like a good deal, but $3,300.00 more then the Fantom Team with the componets being much better on the Fantom Team, it don't seem like such a good deal.
    The Ace is $999
    A better comparison would be Ace vs. Fantom Comp DS, as they are both $999.

Anywho, I built up a Fantom Trail DS Frame ( was going to get the Sette Flite but it was sold out), nothing special or high priced. And it does great for my local trails including steep climbs, and decents with smaller drops (1-3ft), rock gardens, and tech riding, its a good trail bike for me. I got the large frame, it does feel heavy sometimes but I am used to it and it handles fine for me. The fit for me is good, my only gripe is the standover height (I'm 6'1" and the boys rest on the TT in the 5" setting), and for that reason I am seeking another frame/bike.

Never touched or even seen an Ace in person so no comment on them. Check the review boards Ace
    Last edited by chucksxt; 08-07-2010 at 02:40 AM.

S*it Happens!
    So what have you learned about the Ace VS the Fantom?

I hope you’re not depending on Motobecane owners to give you the skinny on the Ace.

I think in all fairness, if one’s going to ask a question about two competing bikes. That same question should be asked on the opposite forum as well.

IMHO, this one is a close call… The Ace or Fantom Comp DS are the same price and neither have any real weaknesses.

The components on these two seem to be a close call, real close. I don’t think person could go wrong with either one. I say flip a coin and pick your poison as I feel this one is a toss up.
    Last edited by Moto Rider; 08-07-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    You need to check your facts .
    [/QUOTE]

This statement coming from you is ridiculous. The Sette Ace sells for $999 so how can it be $3300 more than a Fantom Team? Does the Fantom Team cost -$2300? Does bikesdirect pay you to ride it? And how did you come up with the fork on the Fantom being titanium and carbon fiber? Does any manufacturer make a tiatnium and carbon suspension fork? How did you decide that a Tora weighs 2 pounds more than a Reba? A Tora doesn't even weigh 2 pounds more than a SID. You could at least make some effort to find the correct information before posting.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    MSRP and what they are actually sold for are wildly different.
    Big Foot Blue KHS XC704r

AZ
    banned

You have a lot to learn about the retail world of cycling .
    Last edited by AZ; 08-09-2010 at 10:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Alot (Hindi: अलोट) is a town and nagar panchayat in the Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh, India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alot
    Mike
    2011 Moto Fly Pro

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaLL6
    Alot (Hindi: अलोट) is a town and nagar panchayat in the Ratlam district of Madhya Pradesh, India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alot

Got me , edited for proper grammar . Thanks for the World Geography lesson .

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Which Fantom is the OP talking about? Or is there a plain ol' Fantom that I'm not seeing?

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO
    Which Fantom is the OP talking about? Or is there a plain ol' Fantom that I'm not seeing?

Team :

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ntom_teamX.htm

S*it Happens!
    I think they are shooting for the stars if is Ace Vs Team. This is how I see it. With the Motobecane you have some choices. Not Only can the ride height be adjusted to three different settings. 3” / 4” / 5” front and rear travel. You obviously have a lot more bike choices for your money. Ace equals one setting and one choice. Still, a nice bike.

Ace VS Fantom Trail DS. The Ace wins.

Ace VS Fantom Comp DS. It’s a toss up.

Ace VS Fantom Elite DS. The Motobecane Wins.

Ace VS Fantom DS PRO. The Motobecane Wins.

Ace VS Fantom Team . The Motobecane Wins.

Check Bikes Direct for more info. Click Me!
    -_0
    _ `\<,_
    (+)/ (+)
    Like life…the trail is unpredictable...

Members who have read this thread: 0