Fantom Pro vs Fantom Elite- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Smile Fantom Pro vs Fantom Elite

I am torn between buying the Elite for $1500 vs the Pro for 1600 from bikesdirect. Obviously the XTR derailleurs and shifters and the Rocshox Reba Race fork on the Pro are nicer (the Elite has XT front der., XTR rear der., and Recon fork). I like the 3X10 gear range of the Elite over the 3X9 of the Pro. Also, it seems the Monarch RT3 rear shock on the Elite is better than the Monarch 3.3 on the Pro. Plus the Elite has Avid Elixir brakes over the Pro's Juicy 7's. But I have never seen any of these bikes(or some of the parts) upclose so any advice will be really appreciated.

Finally, if anyone is from the San Jose, CA area, I will appreciate pointers to the best trails...I will be in that area only for this summer, then back to Kenya to tackle the worst kind of thorns on the planet...whistling thorns. Still...nothing like riding by wild elephants and giraffe!

DynoDon
    I wish you would edit in listings of those bikes I can't find them on the BD site, not at those prices???

mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Smile

Here are the links to the bikes.

The Fantom Elite
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...dynasys_xi.htm

The Fantom Pro
    http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ompro_dsIX.htm

Thanks.

DynoDon
    I like the 2010 Pro better, better wheels, crank, Brakes, carbon fiber XTR rear, XTR front, better shifters, Reba's, less weight, I like the 27 speed better then the 30, I only use 13 to 15 of the 27. For $100 it just seems like a much better bike.
    There are a few things I'd change, but those are personal preferences, tires (rocket rons w/lite tubes), grips (oury), higher wider handlebars, saddle (Fizik Gamma XM), invert the rear shock, and set it in the rear rocker position for 5 inches of travel, computer, I like the white better then the matte black one, I have a Fantom Team with many of the parts that come on the PRO, no problems.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks manabiker.

Question, what is the reasoning behind inverting the rear shock, plus is there a real 'deal-breaker' difference between the Reba's and the Recons, and aren't the Acid Elixirs supposed to be better than the Juicy 7's?

Just trying to get as much info before I buy a bike I have never seen or even got to test.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    And is there any real difference between the Monarch 3.3 and the Monarch RT3 rear shocks?

DynoDon
    I don't know anything about the shocks, I would assume there is a diff, the Reba's are great once you get them dialed in, I don't know about the Recon, the air nozzle sticks out on the shocks so it gets inverted to prevent damage, it comes inverted now on some bikes, I would think the shock and fork are one step up for a reason, but even without that the PRO is still a better bike, well thats my 2 cents.. I'm sure they are both good bikes, but just being 3 pounds lighter is a big diff. better shifters, etc make the PRO well worth the $100.00, whichever you chose, Oh I have Juciy 3's on my Fantom Comp they are good brakes, but the Elixirs have better feel, hard to lock up and probably lighter, good luck and Happy Trails
    I had a friend from Kenya, he came over to Michigan to go to University, he got of the plane in winter, and while waiting for a cab, he thought someone was stabbing him he said, he looked around and nobody was there, it was the cold, he had a short sleeve shirt on and never experiecned cold before..LOL!!!

Bushwacker
    From San Jose, I recommend you try El Corte De Madera Open Space. It has some of the best single track in the area. Lots of elevation. 2300' down to around 500', so bring your heavy duty lungs with you. It's up on Skyline Blvd just north of Sky Londa. It's my favorite ride. You might also want to check out Henry Coe park near Morgan Hill. Nows the time for that park as it can get too hot in the summer.
    When I'm not windsurfing, I'm mountain biking

Members who have read this thread: 0