Fantom pro Ti B-29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Fantom pro Ti B-29er

I had seen an article on MTB review someone wrote up about converting to a B-29er and said they liked it. I decided to give it a try and what luck!, I went on ebay and found a Stan's crest 650b rear wheel with a nice Kenda karma tire and a M970 ti cassette for $250 ........perfect!
    I was able to turn over the 9 speed cassette for $60 so score...

What I found with the original setup and running 2x10 that some of the local climbs like Mount Falcon(Morrison, Co.) were a downright struggle. With the difference in circumference of the two rear wheels I got an 8% gearing advantage and it makes a world of difference. Also now the standover height is perfect and it seems to handle better both uphill and down so it is staying this way permanently......... Just thought I'd share.

Name:  DSCN0804.JPG
Views: 1437
Size:  48.6 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Thanks for the info, give another update once you get some more miles on it. Might be an interesting swap for me too.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    What about pedal clearance? I have one Fantom Pro Ti 29" and found the clearance to be low for this wheel size.
    Erwin [PR]
    Marathon Mountain Biker
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    What about pedal clearance? I have one Fantom Pro Ti 29" and found the clearance to be low for this wheel size.
    Well the BB height on the Phantom turned out to be 12-1/4" from the center( that depends on your tires too of course) . My Fischer Hardtail is 11-7/8 and my Jamis Dakar full sus is 13-3/8 .......... I haven't had a problem even with some of the trails around here that have rocky protrusions.............. It's really like they say folks , Once you go B29er You can't go back..............I'm really Jazzed about how well this bike performs now, it took a while to get it there but it really is a joy to ride now!, I've ridden and raced mtb since 82' and this is the fastest MTB I've ever ridden, almost scary fast, when you let off on the brakes it takes no time before your hauling ass down some sKetchy rock strewn decent, fortunately the brakes work well . The Stans crest wheel change also made the ride slightly less stiff for some reason I don't understand but will not be ungrateful for..........So that's my report, your experience may be different. Oh yeah, I highly recommend the Maxxis Ignitor for 29er fronts in Colorado style terrain, they pick up rocks for the first 100 miles but after that they are awesome and won't share your blood with the ground.

Cheers!
    Don

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Ok. My concern was because of changing the 29er wheels for 27.5". I'm also very happy with my Fantom as it is. A great bike in all conditions. Have a great one! ;-)
    Erwin [PR]
    Marathon Mountain Biker
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Hi phantasmago,

I think I misunderstood the whole thing! Question: did you convert your Fantom Pro 29er to a 27.5"?

Thanks!
    Erwin [PR]
    Marathon Mountain Biker
    Yauco, PR

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Erwin View Post
    Hi phantasmago,

I think I misunderstood the whole thing! Question: did you convert your Fantom Pro 29er to a 27.5"?

Thanks!

It is a 27.5" back wheel and a 29" front wheel. A 27.5" wheel is also known as a 650B hence the name everyone uses..........B-29er.

It's awesome and handles better than the stock 29er setup.

Frt Range, CO
    How wide can you go with a 650b tyre?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    How wide can you go with a 650b tyre?

Right now I'm running a kenda Karma which is 2.0 but just looking at it I'd say a 2.3 should be no problem. The seat stays and chain stays have plenty of clearance. The problem with the 29" rear tires is the seat tube because they want to keep the wheelbase short, hence the curved seat tube so stock there isn't much clearance but now there is . Now the bike has about the same clearance to the seat tube as my other two MTB's.

I rode this today , Mt Falcon and then hook up with the track into Lair of the bear. It would def be a test of BB height because of all the protruding rocks but she performed great. Sure you gotta time your cranks in some places but that's the case with any bike on this route.

Mt Falcon - Morrison, Colorado - Specialized Epic Marathon 29er 2013 - YouTube

Lair O the Bear - Bear Creek Trail Mountain Bike Trail, Morrison, CO

Frt Range, CO
    Do you think 2.5" will fit?

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by pursuiter View Post
    Do you think 2.5" will fit?
    I don't know , If you have this frame you could figure that out by measuring it...................On the diameter then 29"-27.5" =1.5" divide by two .75" so you could increase the tire cross section .375" in that direction, the radius, toward the seat tube. It can be figured out but I have no interest in doing it.