Fantom Pro SL 'real' review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Fantom Pro SL 'real' review

My first ride on the Fantom Pro was a fireroad loop and nothing remotely technical, so I couldn't really comment on much more than how it rolled and climbed. Last night was it's first time on tight, rocky, technical terrain and I'm beyond pleased.

There was definitely a transition period getting used to how the bike handles compared to my Anthem, but once I made the adjustment it was spot on. After setting the fork at 100psi positive and 90psi negative it felt like buttah. My legs were feeling pretty flat from this past weekend, so I was struggling to keep up with my group, but on rocky and rooty descents the bike just flattens out the trail. Through fast, banked corners the bike hooks up surprisingly well and around tight switchbacks the bike turns much better than I expected.

I'm still amazed at the value of this bike. My Anthem is quicker and does certain things better (mostly sprinting from a stand still) and over all I'm faster on that bike, but the fun factor is just a little higher on the Fantom. I cleared a root section I've never cleared on a 26 inch bike and I couldn't stop smiling when I approached rocky climbs.

So far the upgrades I've made are Crossmax UST wheels, SRAM 980 34T cassette, Maxxis Ignitor tires, Syncros 80mm stem, 27 inch wide Specialized bars with a 40mm rise and a Chris King headset. Down the road the plan is to go 1x9, but for now I'm done swapping out parts.

I've officially drank the cool-aid and have switched to the 29er camp. When Giant comes out with their Anthem 29er next year I plan to pick one up after selling my 'little' Anthem. I'll use the Moto for everything but Downieville, and Toads type of rides. The only problem with getting the Moto is now I have to sit at work and fidget in my chair while I wish I was out riding.

mtbr member
    Right on, sounds like it's a great bike. What made you get another bike besides your Anthem? Also, got any pics of the new ride with the upgraded parts?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I love my Anthem, but I've tried a handful of 29ers and they all just felt right for me from the moment I hopped on. I've got a long inseam and I feel like I'm sitting on top of a 26 inch bike which tends to pitch me forward on technical descents. On a 29er I feel like I'm sitting in the bike and it's just more stable. And after I saw a Fantom Pro a friend had bought and he told me what he paid, it was a no brainer.

No photos yet, but I'll get some up soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0