• 09-06-2010
    i.a.n.
    Fantom Pro SL - long term review
    After the first couple of rides on my Fantom Pro 29er I wrote some pretty glowing stuff concerning the ride quality of the bike. Granted, I hadn't really put the bike through it's paces yet, but I was just geeked out on a new bike. After the past couple months I can safely say that if anyone has any concerns about this bike's durability or quality they need not worry.

I've ridden all of my favorite local spots in the Bay Area - Skeggs, Demo, Annadel, etc. This past weekend I rode Hole in the Ground in Tahoe for the second time and Mr. Toads Wild Ride for my first. Hole in the Ground is fairly technical and rocky, but nothing any hardtail couldn't easily conquer with a little finesse. Toads on the other hand has some big, BIG features and makes a ride at Downieville seem like a slow ride to gramma's house, with gnarly rock gardens that rival anything Northstar has to offer. I cleared most of the rocky stuff, walk a couple sections that had 'one way trip to the ER' written all over them and absolutely railed the rest.

I've beaten on this bike pretty hard and it's done nothing but put a big fat smile on my face.

This bike flat out rips.
  • 09-07-2010
    Moto Rider
    Thanks for the update…

I realized that and had no doubt from day one. I had plenty of low end bikes in my day, and quickly, I’ve come to appreciate the level of quality the equipped components had to offer. It may sound like a sales pitch, but it's not…

All my low end bikes never seen a true trail, only a limestone path. Once I purchased my Moto, a whole new world was shown to me. Maybe that’s why I’m so loyal.

Like a first love…you never forget.
  • 09-07-2010
    Boise Jim
    Good to know. Out of curiosity, what's your size and what frame size did you get?
  • 09-07-2010
    Jisch
    My wife has had her Fantom Pro SL for a couple of months, since she doesn't post here, I'll do it for here :-D.

We've made two changes to the bike:
    1) In that time we've put meatier tires on. We noticed when it got a little wet and when some of the leaves dropped (we've had a bit of a drought here and some trees have dropped leaves early) the Small Block Eights just didn't hook up. We put a Nevegal on the front and a Rampage on the back, that change certainly improved her confidence a great deal.

2) Seatpost - we opted for the 15 instead of the 17 due to standover requirements. We slowly raised the post to get it to the right spot and we quickly got to the max line. I think she could have gotten away with it right at that line, but we bought a longer post so we'd have more in the frame.

Overall she loves the bike, her FS Stumpjumper doesn't get out of the garage much at all. I think the 29er wheels is what makes this bike work for her - it rolls so well over all the rocks and technical stuff around here. We haven't had any issues at all with any parts on the bike. She did bend one hanger (I gotta order another), perhaps the hanger is a little on the weak side, but I'd rather bend/break that versus the derailler itself.

John
  • 09-07-2010
    i.a.n.
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boise Jim
    Good to know. Out of curiosity, what's your size and what frame size did you get?

Hey Jim,

I'm about 5" 11', and a feathery 155, so granted, there's not much load on the frame. But I'd hit the same stuff probably faster if I was 50 lbs heavier. I ride a large and it fits like a glove. I'm running Crossmax 29er UST rims with Maxxis Ignitor 2.1's front and rear tubeless at about 25 psi. These tires work well in almost any condition.

I'd have to say my only real complaint is the fork on really rocky stuff. The Reba is just a bit too noodle like for me. I plan to get a Fox with 15QR at some point. The Fox forks are more rigid and just feel more planted to me.

- Ian
  • 09-08-2010
    El Dirte
    I love mine and I will echo (although I've owned mine for only a little over a month) the 29" wheels really do make things easier.

My bike feels a little out of adjustment with regard to the derailler.