Fantom pro sl 29er vs. Ti 29er- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Fantom pro sl 29er vs. Ti 29er

I really want to try a 29er and thought the Fantom pro sl would be a good way to go, but that Fly ti 29er keeps catching my eye. I weigh about 195 and am pretty hard on bikes. Would the Fly be more durable than the Fantom? Would it be worth it to save up some more and get the Fly? Just looking for pros and cons for both bikes. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    They are both very nice bikes. In general a titanium frame is going to be stronger than an aluminum one. Also titanium should last forever whereas aluminum will eventually wear out. However the fly does have a light wheelset which may be a problem since you are 195 and say you are hard on bikes, that would really be my only area of concern.
    2015 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    2014 Focus Raven 27R
    2017 Lynskey GR250
    2016 Niner BSB
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I am only about 170lbs and I have had to get two rear drivetrain side aluminum spoke nipples replaced. If it happens again I will get all the drivetrain nipples replaced with brass ones. The bike was built to be light. If you are a heavier rider who rides hard I would suggest getting just the frame and buiding it up to meet your needs.

Rollin 29s
    The wheels are the only part of the bike as far as I know that are questionable as far as durability.

There are other parts people have replaced for other reasons: Bars = too narrow for many, grips- cheap foam, saddle- too hard, seat post- slips, but this is another subject.

I have the Ti 29er on order and I have a new set of the more durable Stans Flow tubeless wheels waiting (as well as my preferred brands of the other parts mentioned). I weigh around 205 and I don't baby my bikes. For what you get for the money, just buy the whole bike, sell the wheels and other parts you don't want. The drivetrain, brakes and fork alone are just about worth the price of the bike, and you might like the bars, grips, saddle and seatpost.

Members who have read this thread: 0