Fantom Pro 29er (BD bikes in general too)- Mtbr.com
    Bloated Cubs Fan

Fantom Pro 29er (BD bikes in general too)

Hey folks,

I'm seriously considering the Fantom Pro 29er, and as we all must have been (in this subforum), I'm pretty jazzed by some of the componentry on this bike for the money. My question is this, which parts are they "junking out" on to make up the difference? I.e., stem, headset, seat post, etc. I'd like to use Christmas to pre- upgrade (if you catch my drift), and would like to know where I should start. I'm kinda interested in small ticket items right now, I'll need to save for any larger ticket items down the road. (new wheelset) Thanks-

mtbr member
    Things I would change on the Fantom Pro pretty quickly:
    Headset VP-A88, threadless 1 1/8 in (crap!)
    Stem Black Finish Aluminum Ritchey COMP Ext. 110mm * 6░ Alloy BAR BORE:31.8 threadless (too long for my preference)
    Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound (prefence)
    Saddle WTB Rocket V comp (preference)
    Seat Post Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm x 350mm (not long enough)
    Seat Post Clamp Super Light Alloy with Quick Release (don't care for quick releases)

Things I would possibly change after a ride or two:
    Tires Kenda Small Block Eight 29x2.1, 120TPI Folding KEVLAR bead (preference)
    Handlebar Black Finish Aluminum Ritchey COMP Rizer 20mm * 620w * 6░ Alloy DIA:31.8 (width)
    The Good Times are Killing me

DynoDon
    I say fit, and comfort first, that would be, grips, seat, pedals, handlebars, stem, (just to get the bike to fit, and be comfortable), then tires, (if there are tires you would rather have) cables,(if there is junking out, this would be the only thing that may be) then if you want it lighter there are many things you could do, but it should be fine like it is for trail riding.
    Buy the book, Zinn & the art of Mountain Bike Maintance, go to youtube for tune up tips, or take it to a LBS for assembly or check over/tune up. Get a shock pump. Good Luck

AZ
    banned
    The Headset is tops on the list for upgrade , then get the thing to fit .

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ.MTNS
    The Headset is tops on the list for upgrade , then get the thing to fit .

I've had mine for 1 week so far Thomson 410 setback post and Fizik Arione seat (from my Trek Madone I sold to fund this dirt thing - but still have a road bike, TT and a CX bike And Egg beaters on loan from my cx bike.

Christmas upgrades coming... Red Hope Headset, Hope Seat post clamp and some White sette clamp on grips red clamps.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got one a couple of weeks ago. (Bought it via the BikesDirect store in jacksonville, FL) So far I've added:

Ergon GX1 grips
    Catseye wireless computer
    Lizardskin X-Jumbo chainstay guard
    Nitropro gas steatpost suspension
    Topeak Bag
    Topeak mini-18+ tool kit
    C02 tube repair kit

I haven't ridden in a while so I also had to by some riding apparel.

On my wish list is:
    bike repair stand
    alternate surface tires

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by GrapeNutsRobot
    Things I would change on the Fantom Pro pretty quickly:
    Headset VP-A88, threadless 1 1/8 in (crap!)
    Stem Black Finish Aluminum Ritchey COMP Ext. 110mm * 6░ Alloy BAR BORE:31.8 threadless (too long for my preference)
    Tape/Grip WTB DualCompound (prefence)
    Saddle WTB Rocket V comp (preference)
    Seat Post Black Finish Aluminum Mountain 27.2mm x 350mm (not long enough)
    Seat Post Clamp Super Light Alloy with Quick Release (don't care for quick releases)

Things I would possibly change after a ride or two:
    Tires Kenda Small Block Eight 29x2.1, 120TPI Folding KEVLAR bead (preference)
    Handlebar Black Finish Aluminum Ritchey COMP Rizer 20mm * 620w * 6░ Alloy DIA:31.8 (width)
    As a fairly new 29er pro owner, I would say huge +1 to this. I'm a heavy guy and I developed saddle/seatpost problems immediately. The stock saddle (WTB laser V) is basically junk. I took a big hit and it failed along with the seatpost (which bent the saddle clamp...it's still serviceable with shims but not really safe for off road use). Agree also that the seat post is also too short. the fantom geometry tends to want you to keep the post higher, and unless you have short legs you need to swap it out asap.

What about the headset made you want to swap it out?

puts the FU in fun
    For me it was bars, grips, and pedals (personal preference on all), and replacing the stock seatpost clamp with a non-QR one that doesn't slip. Everything else has worked great for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I own it.
    Pedals are the only thing that you need to replace before you go on your first serious ride.
    Headset is cheap but will work until you get to it.

all of the other stuff that is mentioned here IMO is preference. I LOVE the tires. Grips, I replaced but they work fine.

Bikes Direct is the whip! I needed some support and they replied right back. Shipped my bike quick and the value can't be beat.

Members who have read this thread: 0