Fantom Pro 29er- Mtbr.com

Thread: Fantom Pro 29er

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Fantom Pro 29er

Probably like a lot of you I did the research and couldn't justify spending another 500-1000 for a comparable bike. I received my Fantom Pro yesterday and was completely blown away at the build and overall quality. Their site didn't spec which Elixir brakes which made me think it would show up with 3s but it actually came w/ CRs! For the most part it is flawless and even the derailleur's were perfectly dialed in. I kept asking myself "how they do it" while putting it together.

My one and only gripe is the headset. No matter how tight I make it, it will loosen up just after pressing on the bars a couple of times. I have resigned myself to replacing it but wondering if anyone else had this problem. Of all of the components, the headset seems to be where they really skimped (and the seat post collar). I have heard the hubs are also garbage but I planned on building new wheels before ordering the bike, based on hub reviews, and by using the existing rims, I will still be way ahead.

One main area that really tipped the scale for me is the simple brushed finish and lack of decals etc... I think Moto really did their homework in that regard. If they tried to sell bikes by making them look flashy, they never would have won me over. Simple is classy.

Anyway, I wished I could tell you how it rides but can't until I replace the headset.

No regrets.

mtbr member
    If it's loosening up that easily, I'd have the headtube faced before the new headset. I replaced the stock headset with a Cane Creek S-3 on my wife's Fantom and it's rock solid and smooth.
    KHS
    Motobecane
    Fisher
    Kona

Loser
    Agreed that the headset is garbage. I had a really hard time finding the spot between "tight" and "binding" on my wife's bike, I will replace it with an S-3 sooner or later.

That said, I haven't had any problems with it loosening up once I found the right tightness. That would mean that something is compressing inside it which doesn't sound right - I would suspect something is not seating properly. Perhaps you need to tighten to the point of binding then back off a quarter turn. I was initially going to suggest that the starfangled nut was pulling out, but if you can get it tight to begin with and the stem bolts are tight then even that shouldn't allow it to loosen. I suppose an S3 at $39 is a cheap fix.

Oh and just one complaint about the LBSes around here - no one has sealed cartridge headsets in stock! NONE! I had an emergency need for one a few months ago, called five bike shops before I exceeded my willingness to drive that distance and NONE had anything but cheapo loose ball headsets in stock!

John

Pimpmobile
    Mar 2010
    I pulled my fork just yesterday to repack the headset bearings... Everything was in perfect condition. I was planning to upgrade to an S-3, but I think I'l wait until I actually have a problem.

Congrats on the new bike..... You'll love it!
    "Fear not the ob-stackles in your path"

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Just picked up an inexpensive Ritchey Logic from the one and only LBS in town. It cost way more than it should have but at least it alleviated some of the guilt not buying a bike from them in the first place

Having it faced makes sense but I have all the tools to replace a headset and will try that first before taking it into a shop. The current headset looks like it is seated well with an even space around the cups but maybe I am fooling myself by thinking I could detect unevenness w/ the naked eye.

I work out of town and all of my tools are back home so it's killing me by having to wait but the last thing I want is to elongate the head tube. It's a good test of patience.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    New headset is on and went for my first ride. I know 26" wheels have their purpose but I will never consider them again for a MTB and my style of riding. Completely amazed at what I glided over compared to using my (now sold) dual suspension MTB. The final section of my usual ride is a steep sandy climb that I have never come close to making. Today I almost made it had it not been for the SB8s spinning out at the top.

The Elixir CRs are also truly amazing at least compared to my Juicy 7s. They didn't sqeek once which is might be just luck and the modulation on these brakes makes it so much easier not to lock up the tires.

I could go on but I don't want to bore you. I almost feel now that I might be able to compete in a Clydesdale division whereas before, I never would have considered it.

Next possible upgrade, a Thudbuster.

rcl
    mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    you might want to look at the nitro pro before purchasing the Thudbuster.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I received my Fantom 29er Pro 2010 model last week and just finished assembly. I noticed after reading several posts that many have chosen to replace their headsets. I received FSA rather than Cane Creek stock model. Is one considered better than the other? I was thinking of replacing it with a Cane Creek S3, or just leaving it as is. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks for your input.

See attached photo. The fit is tight, but should the gray compression ring in picture show this much?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fantom Pro 29er-img00157.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I don't recall the gray compression ring being exposed on mine but but if you don't have any play and it stays in adjustment, I would just ride it until it dies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

question about fantom pro 29??

what size did u buy and how much does it weight? thank you..

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I am 6"05 and got the XL which is plenty big. I now realize the benefit of a hydroformed TT. The knacker clearance on this bike leaves a bit to be desired but it will work. Other than that, the fit is perfect. Sorry, I don't have a scale to weigh a bike so can't help with that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dfms2004
    what size did u buy and how much does it weight? thank you..
    i would also be curious to know how much it weighs... my girlfriend recently got a FS Fantom Pro, but we are close in height, so i've thought about getting a 29er that we could trade back and forth, but i would be wanting to know about what it weighs first.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    @McKraut, does your gf like her FS Fantom Pro? I'm looking to upgrade from my entry-level Trek hardtail. I can't quite afford that but I'm thinking about the FS Fantom Comp.

Also considering a small Fantom Pro SL 29er, which is for sale for $1000. I'm pretty small so I think I'd get the 13", but I've never tried a 29er in my size before. Obviously a big no no to buy it without riding something similar, but none of my LBS have anything like it.... Humph.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by throoper
    @McKraut, does your gf like her FS Fantom Pro? I'm looking to upgrade from my entry-level Trek hardtail. I can't quite afford that but I'm thinking about the FS Fantom Comp.

Also considering a small Fantom Pro SL 29er, which is for sale for $1000. I'm pretty small so I think I'd get the 13", but I've never tried a 29er in my size before. Obviously a big no no to buy it without riding something similar, but none of my LBS have anything like it.... Humph.
    actually, we just got it yesterday and assembled last night she hasn't ridden it yet, but that will happen this weekend hopefully... it's her first "real" bike, so we'll see how she fares on some singletrack around here and i'll let you know. she definitely went back and forth between wanting a 29er and a 26... in the end i think she just got 26 since that's what i ride. though i've been eyeing 29er bikes myself now and hear so many great things about them, and specifically these Fantom 29ers.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did you know that Bike's Direct has stores in some states such as Florida and Texas? They call some of the stores Cycle Spectrum but the one in Jacksonville is called Bike's Direct.They have the same price except that you have to pay state sales tax ( 7% in Florida). Even though I live in NC I just ordered a Fantom Pro 29er via the store because these are the advantages: (1) You can test the bike and they give you a 30 day satisfaction guarantee. (2) They build the bike for you. (3) They give you lifetime free tune-ups and free labor on all repairs. You only pay for parts. Since I don't know much about working on bikes I thought it a great deal. I travel in the SE quite a bit so I can bring them the bike when I need to. If they had one in Charlotte it would be even better. Well no one can say I didn't get it from (a) LBS -as if I cared anyway. They also have some people to talk things over with. They will also order things as upgrades and put em on for you. I'm getting a Nitro Pro Gas seat post. They are prohibbited from shipping it from the store. Can't wait to go back there and pick it up as they had to order mine to get my size.

DynoDon
    Congradulation on your Pro 29 er.
    There are Spectrum Bike Shopes in Arizona too, It would be nice to have more Spectrum stores, it would be worth the 7%, to many.

http://cyclespectrum.com/storelocator/

Members who have read this thread: 0